PDA

View Full Version : Which Tualatin/socket 370 Mobo should I get?

Brent
01-02-02, 07:50 PM
Ok for starters this is for my server, the main purpose of this server is to be a file server. I will have at least 5 hard drives on it at ATA/100. I already have a Promise ATA/100 PCI IDE controller card that accepts 4 hard drives total. So an on board Promise RAID or HighPoint RAID controller aren't neccassary, but if it comes with one I wouldn't mind it as long as price isn't too much with it.

I need it to be Socket 370 with support for Tualatin CPU's for future upgrade. I already have a shinny new never used 800EB on my shelf, I'll use that for now which will be plenty for a file server.

I do NOT want anything with the i815 chipset, because it only supports up to 512MB of RAM. I need something supporting up to at least 1GB of SDR or DDR whichever is stable on a P3 board. Obviously I will be needing a board with a third party chipset, I will NOT use ALI either. VIA or maybe even SIS if it's good enough.

I've already found 3 good candidates, but want ya'lls knowledgable opinions :)

6309LE5 (MS-6309 v5.0)

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_spec/6309LE5.htm

694T PRO (MS-6309 v5.0)

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_spec/694T_Pro.htm

Asus TUV4X

Asus's main product page for this mobo is Under Construction, so here is a product page on it i found at a place.

http://www.hcsdirect.com/products/mainboards/tuv4x.htm

Any of those good?

Anything better?

Suggestions Welcome

Cheerios,
Brent

Qwijib0
01-02-02, 09:00 PM
I've always liked MSI's products, and I've seen the most praise for the 694T around the internet. I'm not a huge via fan, but this board seems to be fairly stable.

el bob
01-02-02, 09:07 PM
I would go wit the asus tuv4x. I've known a couple of people who use these boards for lanparty servers and have had good luck with them.

I don't remember if the via chipset pci latency issues were only for socket a chipsets but even if they applied to all via chipsets, that really wouldn't be much of a factor considering all of the boards you listed use them

I've also found asus boards to be very reliable in terms of prolonged lifetimes (which may or may not be an issue for you) and for dealing with minimal, yet quiet :D, cooling

i'm not familiar with the bioses of those boards so i can't tell which would be better for overclocking/tweaking

I can't really attest to the performance of MSI boards but by monday I'll be able to start :D MSI KT266 Pro2 YAH BABY!!!

can you say happy bob?

Brent
01-02-02, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by el bob
I would go wit the asus tuv4x. I've known a couple of people who use these boards for lanparty servers and have had good luck with them.

I don't remember if the via chipset pci latency issues were only for socket a chipsets but even if they applied to all via chipsets, that really wouldn't be much of a factor considering all of the boards you listed use them

I've also found asus boards to be very reliable in terms of prolonged lifetimes (which may or may not be an issue for you) and for dealing with minimal, yet quiet :D, cooling

i'm not familiar with the bioses of those boards so i can't tell which would be better for overclocking/tweaking

I can't really attest to the performance of MSI boards but by monday I'll be able to start :D MSI KT266 Pro2 YAH BABY!!!

can you say happy bob?

HAPPY BOB!

you'll like that msi board, I got 1 of em, in my review system, very awesome, that's why i bought another one that will be here tomorrow in fact to put in my main system :D

i guess right now i'm leaning toward the asus tuv4x :D

unless something else comes up this will prolly be what i get...

64bit
01-02-02, 09:46 PM
Ya the pci latency issue covers all via chipsets from the mpv3's (South) to the 686b and beyond. Piece of dog sh*t, but hey I got three of them barkin at me right now.

Hey brent why are you so against the Ali chipset. I know the performance is not with the not on par with the Apollo but is that it or are there other reasons?

Brent
01-02-02, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by 64bit
Ya the pci latency issue covers all via chipsets from the mpv3's (South) to the 686b and beyond. Piece of dog sh*t, but hey I got three of them barkin at me right now.

Hey brent why are you so against the Ali chipset. I know the performance is not with the not on par with the Apollo but is that it or are there other reasons?

performance sucks up the monkey nads humping your leg

this iwill xp333-r is a pile of dog **** cause of the Ali chipset

i thought i'd give em another chance, check out their latest chipset, plus all the features it offered, hence this mobo i'm running now, i've come to the conclusion it's a piece of dirt poo, i will now never buy anything with an Ali chipset again

terrancelam
01-02-02, 10:31 PM
glad I didn't go for a Ali chipset with DDR...anyways the Asus board was the one I was thinking looked the best.

HongKongPolice
01-03-02, 04:09 AM
Why Intel? SDRAM isn't fast enough anymore, and getting a DDR P3 board is just a WASTE cuz the FSB is too slow to take advantage of the DDR..... If you want a cheap file server, get a Morgan or something + the nForce, or if you already have extra video cards 'n stuff lying around, the Epox 8KHA+

If i were you i'd get a KR7A-raid and use the XP333 as the file server board + some cheap CPU like the 1600+ or somethin.

loop2kil
01-03-02, 07:03 AM
performance sucks up the monkey nads humping your leg. this iwill xp333-r is a pile of dog **** cause of the Ali chipset

Whew, i almost went that route rather than the msi. Glad i went the way i did now. I love my msi board so far.

Brent
01-03-02, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by TigerUpperCut
Why Intel? SDRAM isn't fast enough anymore, and getting a DDR P3 board is just a WASTE cuz the FSB is too slow to take advantage of the DDR..... If you want a cheap file server, get a Morgan or something + the nForce, or if you already have extra video cards 'n stuff lying around, the Epox 8KHA+

If i were you i'd get a KR7A-raid and use the XP333 as the file server board + some cheap CPU like the 1600+ or somethin.

because i still firmly believe Intel is the better choice for server platforms

Cause

A.) I already have an Intel 800EB socket 370 CPU NEVER used, brand spanking new that I've never used. I would like to use this CPU so I don't have to buy another one, I'm not rich yet ;)

B.) this system will be on 24/7 365 days a year

C.) this system will be on this long and NOT get to hot, I need it to stay COOL and QUITE

D.) And stay cool without a huge loud fan, the Intel chips run cooler, i can use a quiter fan, and an 800EB cpu is all I need for a server

with the parts i already have all i need to buy is the Motherboard and Hard Drives, right now i'm using 5 crappy 6 gig drives that are too slow, so all i need to buy is the mobo, and new hard drives to make my server what i want

and with a mobo supporting tualatin I have an upgrade path for a faster cpu with more L2 if i need to expand my server

I do not need DDR or anything faster then an SDR 133FSB for a file server lol, trust me, this aint a server to rule the world with, it's simply a file server where i store all my hundreds of gigs of crap, and run other things sometimes on

im pretty sure i can figure out what i need for myself ;)

my question was to the Intel people what they thought a good Tualatin mobo was to use for this application in my server :)

RoundEye
01-03-02, 11:59 AM
I think you've seen this already. If I was building a file server I would look for a board that would offer the best disk performance. This may help you make your decision.

Disk benchmarks (http://www.tecchannel.de/hardware/817/1.html).