PDA

View Full Version : Where'd my RAM go?

colnago1331
01-02-02, 11:06 AM
Okay, I have two RAM chips in my computer. One 128 MB chip and one 256 MB chip. Up until last week I was unhappily running Windows ME with 384 MB of RAM. Last week, I did a clean install of XP Pro on my machine, and now I'm only getting 256 MB of RAM. I pulled the 128 MB chip out (leaving the 256 MB chip in), and then my computer registered just 128 MB RAM. Thus, it's my 256 MB chip that's lost 128 MB of memory. My question is - where did it go???? :confused:

YeOldeStonecat
01-02-02, 11:14 AM
Did you check your BIOS first....to see what your motherboard sees...before the OS is even considered?

Hate to ask this, but are you sure you yanked the 128 stick, not the 256 stick?

Reset the BIOS to default?

colnago1331
01-02-02, 02:15 PM
My Bios also only recognized 256. I don't know exactly how to change it, though. I couldn't highlight the RAM section and change it. I've got a Sony Vaio desktop, if that helps.

I know I yanked the 128 because I also yanked the 256, and each alone gave me a reading of 128 MB.

YeOldeStonecat
01-02-02, 04:26 PM
Well, not being in front of it to see what's happening, and knowing for sure....

Are you positive that at one time, you had 384 megs of RAM between the two sticks, fully recognized by the BIOS and OS?

Can you take these sticks to another machine and test them...to make sure they're good? Was the additional memory specifically for this make/model computer? Or just "generic one size fits all", which I always say to stay away from.

The BIOS needs no configuration, it detects whatever is there on bootup...usually any change on OEM machines, some "configuration change" alert will pop up to tell you the BIOS detected "some" change, such as addition or subtraction of memory, a different hard drive, etc.

If your motherboard has a certain "population order" of memory banks, did you follow it? Most likely not, as that's more common in servers rather than common desktops, but I've only worked on two or three Sony Vaio's, so they're not memorized in my head.

I'd look for "reset to defaults" on the BIOS....and juggle around the RAM sticks, make sure they're inserted properly. The XP install didn't have anything to do with it, just a coincidence, if juggling and re-seating the RAM doesn't work, or resetting BIOS defaults, I'm gonna guess a stick happened to fail on you, or a memory bank.

syncmaster
01-02-02, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by colnago1331
I've got a Sony Vaio desktop

Why you did not say so from the start ...

There a problem with XP Pro and the Vaio series ...

What version of XP are you running ??

colnago1331
01-02-02, 09:39 PM
XP Pro.