PDA

View Full Version : AMD or Intel

speedguidename
01-01-02, 11:18 PM
After much use of this celeron <400>, it is time for a massive overhaul. I am looking to upgrade the MB, Processor, and Video Card. <from a voodoo3 3000 agp)

My questions are these.

1. Which processor offers more bang for the buck? Intel or AMD?

2. Will I have to upgrade my ram to ddr?

3. Will a new MB fit in my existing case? <current MB is a shuttle hot-663>

4. What will happen to my HDD's when I swap MB's?

TIA

BaLa
01-01-02, 11:21 PM
1. Which processor offers more bang for the buck? Intel or AMD?

AMD

-
2. Will I have to upgrade my ram to ddr?

I would suggest doing so...actually if you current comp has PC66 SDRAM
(most likely Cel 400 = 66mhz Bus) you might as well buy DDR as PC100/PC133 is pretty close to the price of DDR.
so if you DO have PC 66 SDRAM get DDR definitely..

-
3. Will a new MB fit in my existing case?

not fam. with your mobo..
if it's an ATX it will fit..

-
4. What will happen to my HDD's when I swap MB's?

nothing will happen..
although it's best to format the one with your OS, and start over...

brembo
01-01-02, 11:22 PM
*offers asbestos underware for all who tread here*

edit its underwear, not underware...geez I scare myself sometimes.

speedguidename
01-01-02, 11:23 PM
Why would I want to reformat after changing MB

Both HDD have OS

speedguidename
01-01-02, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by brembo
*offers asbestos underware for all who tread here*

edit its underwear, not underware...geez I scare myself sometimes.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

BaLa
01-01-02, 11:27 PM
b/c it will fuxor **** up..

all the sys device will be diff in a new mobo..
it will be a mess with drivers and all..

and actually sometimes you might not be able to get into windows....

I had that happen to me with the new mobo I got for XMas..
It wouldn't let me into W2k SP2 STOP msg/screen everytime..
(don't remember the error but that's irrelevant)

cy
01-01-02, 11:38 PM
AMD, AMD, AMD forever :nod: :nod: :nod:

MagicMikey
01-01-02, 11:39 PM
Nice questions!! ;) If you're talking about latest processors then AMD offers the best bang for the buck, if your definition of "bang" means speed. An Intel Tualation would be the next runner up for best bang for the buck. So getting an AMD Athlon XP processor would answer your first question. You would have to upgrade your motherboard, no matter which route you go. Let's stick with the Athlon XP for a while here, a KT266A chipset would be your best bet. Those mobos, use DDR RAM, so you'll have to get new RAM. Because AMD processors run a little hotter and needs more power than Intel's, you'll have to invest in a very good quality heat sink combo or the water cooling method which costs a freakin lot for what you're actually using it for, and a 350w+ power supply unit.

If you have an AT case then you would have to buy an ATX case to put these new goodies in. You can check on your PSU to see if it's AT or ATX, or mobo. See if the power cord from your processor to your motherboard has to use two connectors (AT) or only one connector (ATX).

Before you desemble your computer, uninstall all the drivers from your hard drive and shutdown. Rebuild your computer then, with the help from Plug N Play, Windows will automatically detect the new drivers and install them. It best to reformat your drive but isn't neccesary.

Going back to the CPU decision, if you're tight on cash and looking to a big speed difference, then I would suggest to go Intel as it will in the end save you money. Most people think that since AMD cpu's are cheaper than Intel's you would save money, this isn't always the case. You can get a 1.13GHz Intel Tualatin processor on an i815e chipset motherboard (best is an ASUS TUSL2-C) and save about 90$ ;) The reason why is that you can use the fan that comes with the boxed version of your processor and only need to get a 300w power supply at most, you can get a 250w but just to be on the safe side a 300w would be wise. You might even be able to keep your SDRAM, depending on its latency and all that.

Qwijib0
01-01-02, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by cy
AMD, AMD, AMD forever :nod: :nod: :nod:

Intel, Intel, Intel forever :nod: :nod: :nod:

:rolleyes: gee, that was useful :rolleyes:

speedguidename
01-01-02, 11:45 PM
WOW! Thank you for a very informative description. It makes my decision that much more difficult now. :D You have made me think of things I hadn't thought about. ie heat, power supply, etc etc.

I wil have to get my ducks in a row, but thank you so much for the helpful insight.

MagicMikey
01-01-02, 11:47 PM
Heh, I don't think the decision's too hard... ;)

speedguidename
01-02-02, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by BaLa
b/c it will fuxor **** up..

all the sys device will be diff in a new mobo..
it will be a mess with drivers and all..

and actually sometimes you might not be able to get into windows....

I had that happen to me with the new mobo I got for XMas..
It wouldn't let me into W2k SP2 STOP msg/screen everytime..
(don't remember the error but that's irrelevant)

I'll take your word for it. I was looking for the lazy man's not spend half the night reinstalling os and proggies again plug and play installation :D

shiznutz
01-02-02, 06:05 AM
Send to more than one address. What's This?
Item Options Unit
Price Quantity Subtotal
MSI K7T Turbo2 (MS-6330) Socket A Motherboard for AMD Athlon XP / Athlon / Duron Processor, w/ Audio

*Add Memory: One 256MB PC133 SDRAM(+48.00)

*Add CPU (OEM): XP 1600+(+142.00)

*Add Cooling Fan: Cooler Master DP5-6I11A(+6.99)

*Add Memory Cooling Kits A1092:

*Add Rounded Floppy Cable:

*Add Rounded IDE Cable:

*Add Thermal Compound: Type44(+1.00) 286.99 286.99 Remove
VideoExcel NVidia GeForce2 MX400 64MB AGP Video Cards / Adapters, Retail Box, no TV-OUT (with TV OUT optional)

*Add Software:

*Choose: No TV OUT 65.00 65.00 Remove
Subtotal for Directron.com 351.99

in our customer database.

Ulk0
01-02-02, 08:23 AM
Hey..

If u want a better cpu than your celeron 400 i think i know a great idea..

By mine AMD K6-III 450 mhz :D

ill give it to u for free.. Casue i smoked the bios yesterday ;(.. Now i shall by me something powerfull like a AMD 2 ghz or something *lol*

Pffffffft

lord_yuri
01-02-02, 08:37 AM
hey i'll take that k6-3 :D

Ulk0
01-02-02, 08:53 AM
rt =)

terrancelam
01-02-02, 04:01 PM
it like saying which kinda of wine you like better, red or white, they go better with different things.

For intel, it's well known for their lower temperatures and reliablity. They are very well favoured among the corporate world for these aspects and usually are in the more high end systems. Though they still have a pretty fair number of home user base as well, not as large as they once were.

For AMD, they have higher temperatures, but they are also have the higher performance , clock for clock when compared to Intel. The main base of AMD is their enthusiast fan base with home owners. Though they are starting to make it a bit bigger in the corporate world, they high temperatures cause some consultants to think twice about putting them into the large cash cow corps.

Best bang for buck, enthusiast support and best performance, AMD all the way, but be prepared. AMD systems aren't for the light weights, there are many problems with chipsets for these cpus and something the problems range for small, which just about anyone can fix to large, as in only people with the hardcore time and effort to put in can solve.

As for your questions,

1.)AMD,

2.)If you are going to upgrade, you might as well got DDR, as SD-ram, no matter how much I like to brag about my system, is out of date. It's past generation and if you are going to be spending the money, it's best to go DDR PC2100 or PC2700 is you can. Otherwise, you may find yourself a bit upset a few months from now.

3.)As for if it will fit the old case, I suggest you get a new mid ATX case if you do decide to get a new mobo and processor, as the size of the older cases usually don't account for the need of higher airflow and cooling of the CPU's higher temperatures. Also with the newer case, you will be most likely recieving a higher wattage PSU, which will definately be needed for a AMD based system.

4.)It's just update windows to run with the new chipset, but it has been known to cause performance problems, unless you've uninstalled all the older drivers before the transplant. I suggest you for a fresh install if you plan on moving the drive over, just back up your previous and wanted data.

speedguidename
01-03-02, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Ulk0
Hey..

If u want a better cpu than your celeron 400 i think i know a great idea..

By mine AMD K6-III 450 mhz :D

ill give it to u for free.. Casue i smoked the bios yesterday ;(.. Now i shall by me something powerfull like a AMD 2 ghz or something *lol*

Pffffffft

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

speedguidename
01-03-02, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by terrancelam
it like saying which kinda of wine you like better, red or white, they go better with different things.

For intel, it's well known for their lower temperatures and reliablity. They are very well favoured among the corporate world for these aspects and usually are in the more high end systems. Though they still have a pretty fair number of home user base as well, not as large as they once were.

For AMD, they have higher temperatures, but they are also have the higher performance , clock for clock when compared to Intel. The main base of AMD is their enthusiast fan base with home owners. Though they are starting to make it a bit bigger in the corporate world, they high temperatures cause some consultants to think twice about putting them into the large cash cow corps.

Best bang for buck, enthusiast support and best performance, AMD all the way, but be prepared. AMD systems aren't for the light weights, there are many problems with chipsets for these cpus and something the problems range for small, which just about anyone can fix to large, as in only people with the hardcore time and effort to put in can solve.

As for your questions,

1.)AMD,

2.)If you are going to upgrade, you might as well got DDR, as SD-ram, no matter how much I like to brag about my system, is out of date. It's past generation and if you are going to be spending the money, it's best to go DDR PC2100 or PC2700 is you can. Otherwise, you may find yourself a bit upset a few months from now.

3.)As for if it will fit the old case, I suggest you get a new mid ATX case if you do decide to get a new mobo and processor, as the size of the older cases usually don't account for the need of higher airflow and cooling of the CPU's higher temperatures. Also with the newer case, you will be most likely recieving a higher wattage PSU, which will definately be needed for a AMD based system.

4.)It's just update windows to run with the new chipset, but it has been known to cause performance problems, unless you've uninstalled all the older drivers before the transplant. I suggest you for a fresh install if you plan on moving the drive over, just back up your previous and wanted data.

Ok Thanks for the input. I have no idea yet which I will end up with, but at least I have some choices in front of me. But this celeron is feeling it's age, not unlike myself :D Gosh I hope this doesn't mean that the wife is looking for faster and more reliable too :)

brembo
01-03-02, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by speedguidename

Ok Thanks for the input. I have no idea yet which I will end up with, but at least I have some choices in front of me. But this celeron is feeling it's age, not unlike myself :D Gosh I hope this doesn't mean that the wife is looking for faster and more reliable too :)

Women want fast men? Odd, thats not what my old g/f said, actually she remarked on my rabbit like prowess as being a reson to end it. :D