PDA

View Full Version : Athlon XP 2000+ Review

HalfLifer
01-01-02, 09:20 PM
Enjoy :)

*edit* They tested it with a Nforce and the KT 266A board, and the KT 266A board beat the NForce in bench marks.

Also compared to a dually and some P4's.

http://www.gamepc.com/reviews/hardware_review.asp?review=axp2000&page=1&mscssid=&tp

BaLa
01-01-02, 09:37 PM
very nice..
for the lazy ppls

The Final Word
If there was any doubt in your mind about which company makes the fastest CPU in the business, there shouldn't be anymore. AMD is now rounding out the 2001 year with an absolutely amazing CPU, which rips apart the Pentium 4 in nearly every benchmark we threw at it. While the 1.67 GHz (2000+) processor doesn't have any technological advances compared to previous Athlon XP processors, its extra clock speed gives it a nice extra boost to show the Pentium 4 who's the boss.
The current 0.18-micron Palomino design still has some fight left in it as well. As we've seen in our overclocking tests, even today's chips are physically able to run at 1.8 GHz with slightly better cooling. As AMD's manufacturing processes continue to get better, it will be very likely that AMD releases two to three more speed revisions of the current Athlon XP design before finally transitioning to their 0.13 micron designs.

We're also eagerly awaiting Intel's response to the latest Athlon chips, in the form of the 2.0 and 2.2 GHz Northwood processors (dubbed 2.0A, and 2.2A GHz), which boast a new 0.13-micron manufacturing process, as well as a doubled L2 cache size, up from 256 kB to 512 kB. Whether this will be able to dig them out from the hole that AMD has put them in, that's left to be seen. We're guessing the 2.2 GHz Northwood and 1.67 GHz Athlon XP will be extremely close in terms of all around performance.

So, this is the end of the CPU race for 2001. Intel still has the fastest overall clock speed, with a 333 MHz advantage over AMD. Even so, our benchmarks show the Athlon XP 1.67 GHz 2000+ winning nine out of the twelve benchmark tests over the Pentium 4 2.0 GHz chip. While the Pentium 4 may have a few strong points, in overall system wide processor performance, the Athlon XP is simply a better chip.

Brent
01-01-02, 10:55 PM
good read

i like gamepc good site

it shows an MP system REALLY isn't for gaming like most people think

and it shows how the AXP is stronger then the current P4

now once the northwood hits though, it could be different, with a 533Mhz FSB and .13 MIcron for faster speeds and a doubled L2 cache it just might take the crown!

of course AMD won't give up the fight with .13 micron for faster speeds and a 333Mhz DDR bus, and eventually SSE2 on the Hammer

Qwijib0
01-01-02, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Brent
now once the northwood hits though, it could be different, with a 533Mhz FSB and .13 MIcron for faster speeds and a doubled L2 cache it just might take the crown!

Don't forget hyperthreading... rumored in the Northwood B in q3...

a rumored 30% speed boost would be nice :nod:

YARDofSTUF
01-02-02, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Qwijib0

Don't forget hyperthreading... rumored in the Northwood B in q3...

a rumored 30% speed boost would be nice :nod:

dont forget amds 64 bit chip ith nb inthe core, suppose to 50% as fast as current cpus in 32 bit instruction mode :nod:

HalfLifer
01-02-02, 09:31 AM
But anyone ever check their prices for the chips? Wow :eek:

Brent
01-02-02, 09:34 AM
yeah, they are expensive on everything

i don't buy from em, cause of the prices, but i like their reviews and stuff...

YeOldeStonecat
01-02-02, 04:56 PM
I get about half my stuff from them, it's well worth the price if it's something that there's ever a chance of needing to return or RMA from defects. Immediate overnight replacement before even awaiting delivery of your dead item...heh, they got a customer out of me that way.

For bargain prices on stuff that's easier to throw out than worry about returns, essencompu.com is the place for me.

Qwijib0
01-02-02, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by YARDofSTUF

dont forget amds 64 bit chip ith nb inthe core, suppose to 50% as fast as current cpus in 32 bit instruction mode :nod:

x86-64 is the lazy man's way to 64 bit computing....

go McKinley!

Brent
01-02-02, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Qwijib0

x86-64 is the lazy man's way to 64 bit computing....

go McKinley!

actually it's a good idea

think of it as a Transition chip, to move from 32bit to 64bit

I'd rather have that chip so I can run good ole 32bit stuff and also the new 64bit stuff on the same system, a good transition to full 64bit...