PDA

View Full Version : Radeon 8500 Revisisted yadda yadda yadda

Brent
01-01-02, 12:49 PM
I finished this before i went on vacation last week, Kyle put it up on Christmas Eve when I was already gone, so incase you haven't seen it

Radeon 8500 revisited

http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/vidcards/ati/8500_revisited/

talk amongst yourselves

MartialArtist12
01-01-02, 01:00 PM
It's a good review, but ICK! Those screenshots have to saved in that poor a jpg quality?

Brent
01-01-02, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by MartialArtist12
It's a good review, but ICK! Those screenshots have to saved in that poor a jpg quality?

cause of image size

I have the originals in ucompressed format if you'd like them :)

or anyone for that matter

MagicMikey
01-01-02, 01:44 PM

Ugh, he said talk amongst yourselves....shhhhhhhhhh! ;)

Qwijib0
01-01-02, 11:51 PM
Radeon 8500 > Voodoo5

that's all I care about.... it was a good replacement.

MagicMikey
01-01-02, 11:58 PM
You previously had a Voodoo 5? I'm not too sure what you mean... ;)

MartialArtist12
01-02-02, 12:03 AM
What's this Vodoo everyone keeps on talking about?

Qwijib0
01-02-02, 12:25 AM
What's this Vodoo everyone keeps on talking about?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Let's see.... there one was a company named 3dfx that thought that people should play 3d games on their computers, so they created a "3d accelerator". The people rejoiced at this new and great thing called a "voodoo". And it was voodoo for the time.

the voodoo begat the voodoo rush, which begat the voodoo banshee which begat the voodoo2.

The voodoo 2 was especially fantastic, because a hardcore gamer could buy two, and link them together for a dual-processor 3d accelerator.

about this time, big, bad nVidia started cranking out a new card more quickly than 3dfx could, and slowly... the gaming world turned its back on 3dfx, and 3dfx had their last hope.... the vsa-100.

What a processor! you could combine lots of them together, and make the card as fast as you wanted! Full-scene hardware anti-aliasing, T-Buffer cinematic effects and Glide functionality. A star was born.... but the masses had moved on... nVidia bought out the company's technology and left the voodoo fans stranded with no driver support... *sigh*

And that is the story of the PC game revolution....

as for MagicMikey... yes, my Voodoo5 5500 has been retired to its original packaging, with original driver cd, to an honored place on my shelf (yep, I'm weird), and been replaced with a product worthy to take its place.

MagicMikey
01-02-02, 01:09 AM
You should write a Star Wars episode... ;)

Brent
01-02-02, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Qwijib0

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Let's see.... there one was a company named 3dfx that thought that people should play 3d games on their computers, so they created a "3d accelerator". The people rejoiced at this new and great thing called a "voodoo". And it was voodoo for the time.

the voodoo begat the voodoo rush, which begat the voodoo banshee which begat the voodoo2.

The voodoo 2 was especially fantastic, because a hardcore gamer could buy two, and link them together for a dual-processor 3d accelerator.

about this time, big, bad nVidia started cranking out a new card more quickly than 3dfx could, and slowly... the gaming world turned its back on 3dfx, and 3dfx had their last hope.... the vsa-100.

What a processor! you could combine lots of them together, and make the card as fast as you wanted! Full-scene hardware anti-aliasing, T-Buffer cinematic effects and Glide functionality. A star was born.... but the masses had moved on... nVidia bought out the company's technology and left the voodoo fans stranded with no driver support... *sigh*

And that is the story of the PC game revolution....

as for MagicMikey... yes, my Voodoo5 5500 has been retired to its original packaging, with original driver cd, to an honored place on my shelf (yep, I'm weird), and been replaced with a product worthy to take its place.

Some corrections ;)

Voodoo 2 came out BEFORE the Banshee

The V2 made it's debut in early 1998, the banshee came afterwards

the neat thing about the Banshee was it was 3dfx's FIRST 2D/3D video card, no longer did you need another 2D vid card as your main card and have a secondary card Looped Back through it to a '3D accelerator' now you could enjoy 3d acceleration on a SIngle video card that was also your main 2D card!

Ok here we go

FIrst came Voodoo 1 from 3dfx, first 3d card ever except for a couple others that never really hit mainstream, the Voodoo however took off and ate up the market place.

Then came Voodoo 2 which brought wiht it SLI and ooh so nice gaming in Glide and OGL.

THen Banshee

Now around all this time NVIDIA's first 3d accelerator WAS a 2D/3D combo, Riva 128 and it SUCKED THE MONKEY NADS. Let me tell you, NVIDIA had a HARD time at first. Their card was slow, it had the WROSTS image quality, it was all grainy, it was horrible!!!!111 ANd for the longest time NVIDIA didn't do anything, they kinda DISAAPARED, yes they were gone, no one heard from em. Then ALL OF A SUDDEN they popped out with their TNT card! And that was the start of their reign.

Now, 3dfx was doing WELL with the Voodoo2 and Banshee, then the VSA-100 in their Voodoo 4 and 5 cards. Thiks was so awesome. HOWEVER THEIR DOWNFALL WAS WITH POLITICS. YES POLITICS. THEY HAD LOWSY BUSINESS HANDLINGS AND THEIR COMPANY AS A COMPANY WASN'T DOING TO WELL. While they had a great accelerator and technology (their engineers were genius's) they had BAD corporate handling. And that my friend was their downfall.

Then after they went bankrupt NVIDIA bought their assets.

By that time NVIDIA was well on their way to owning the market, ATI was trying but with bad drivers just couldn't muster it. Matrox tried, but their hardware just wasn't up to speed. S3 went under, they were gone. ST Micro was kinda in there, but not much. It was kinda just up to Matrox, ATI and NVIDIA at this point. Then eventually Matrox slowed down and now it's just ATI and NVIDIA and still kinda ST Micro lol. Matrox has said don't count em out yet, but we haven't seen ANYTHING from them , so it's words without proof. Kinda like Bit Boys Oy!

Qwijib0
01-02-02, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Brent

Some corrections ;)

Voodoo 2 came out BEFORE the Banshee

The V2 made it's debut in early 1998, the banshee came afterwards

the neat thing about the Banshee was it was 3dfx's FIRST 2D/3D video card, no longer did you need another 2D vid card as your main card and have a secondary card Looped Back through it to a '3D accelerator' now you could enjoy 3d acceleration on a SIngle video card that was also your main 2D card!

Ok here we go

FIrst came Voodoo 1 from 3dfx, first 3d card ever except for a couple others that never really hit mainstream, the Voodoo however took off and ate up the market place.

Then came Voodoo 2 which brought wiht it SLI and ooh so nice gaming in Glide and OGL.

THen Banshee

Now around all this time NVIDIA's first 3d accelerator WAS a 2D/3D combo, Riva 128 and it SUCKED THE MONKEY NADS. Let me tell you, NVIDIA had a HARD time at first. Their card was slow, it had the WROSTS image quality, it was all grainy, it was horrible!!!!111 ANd for the longest time NVIDIA didn't do anything, they kinda DISAAPARED, yes they were gone, no one heard from em. Then ALL OF A SUDDEN they popped out with their TNT card! And that was the start of their reign.

Now, 3dfx was doing WELL with the Voodoo2 and Banshee, then the VSA-100 in their Voodoo 4 and 5 cards. Thiks was so awesome. HOWEVER THEIR DOWNFALL WAS WITH POLITICS. YES POLITICS. THEY HAD LOWSY BUSINESS HANDLINGS AND THEIR COMPANY AS A COMPANY WASN'T DOING TO WELL. While they had a great accelerator and technology (their engineers were genius's) they had BAD corporate handling. And that my friend was their downfall.

Then after they went bankrupt NVIDIA bought their assets.

By that time NVIDIA was well on their way to owning the market, ATI was trying but with bad drivers just couldn't muster it. Matrox tried, but their hardware just wasn't up to speed. S3 went under, they were gone. ST Micro was kinda in there, but not much. It was kinda just up to Matrox, ATI and NVIDIA at this point. Then eventually Matrox slowed down and now it's just ATI and NVIDIA and still kinda ST Micro lol. Matrox has said don't count em out yet, but we haven't seen ANYTHING from them , so it's words without proof. Kinda like Bit Boys Oy!

yeah... it was late... and you.... screw it :p

<bows>

the_mp3_refuge
01-02-02, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by MagicMikey
You should write a Star Wars episode... ;)

Episode III : Attack of the GeForce:D

Juggernaut
01-02-02, 10:51 AM
I had a Voodoo2 back in the day. First ever accelerating card I had...remember the first time you ever saw GLQuake after playing original Quake for so long (which, at that time, was the best looking 3d game). It would be nice to have 3DFX around still competing with ATI and nVidia...imagine the competition and the cards that would be turned out?

Ghosthunter
01-02-02, 10:58 AM
Good Review Brent!

I would say after reading that both the gf 3 ti 500 and Radeon 8500 are almost equal give or take, here and there in some games, but no matter what I still will never buy an ATI card. I just dont trust them. I trust them as much as Bill Gates.

MartialArtist12
01-02-02, 02:59 PM
Your loss, hahahahahahaha. There's a saying that only idiots buy from the past. (computer parts)

terrancelam
01-02-02, 03:47 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Matrox pulled out a card that would stun us all, they wait and develop their technologies around the standard Nvidia is creating and then add things to make their card better and out do them at their own game and learn from ATi's mistakes in the competition. It's all about corporate strategy, the only thing is money, how much money can they make to hold out and develop. ATi is already a big supplier of big business and Nvidia is gaining in that market with their new chipset with on-board video, but it's going to be interesting how the corporate relationships play out here. Nvidia has a semi-relationship with AMD, while ATI is somewhat on the side of Intel, I remember hearing a while back about some kind of combined chipset they were working on. Intel has, without a doubt, the strongest PR with other big business, which definately will make a difference if they are going to pull something.

It was all like this a few years ago, companies were runing strong and then a few of them made some fatal errors and we were left with only one real choice for components. Let's see who takes the first fall.