PDA

View Full Version : I got all my new parts and put it together . . . No POST :(

freckmoto
01-01-02, 11:11 AM
Well, the parts for my new XP got here and it does not want to post. Or, at least It refuses to output video. I've tried two different video cards. The 1600+ XP was greased and I installed the PAL8045 on top, seemed to go ok. I took out all the other card unhooked everything, still no signal.

I know the mobo (MSI K7T266 Pro2 RU) is getting juice and the so are the cards, so any ideas?

The two vid cards I've tried are my new 8500 DV, and my old TNT2.

Any help is appreciated, I don't have much time to fuss with it b/c I have makeup work from when I had mono :(

Freck

Brent
01-01-02, 11:25 AM
when i setup my first k7t266pro 2 it wouldn't post either, i was afraid i cracked my 1800+ axp! so i tried a duron cpu and it worked! put the axp back in and it didn't! so i was worried, so what I did was clear the CMOS in every jumper position it would go lol, and then it booted :D

freckmoto
01-01-02, 11:40 AM
After I finish my paper, I'll try it. Thx Brent :) I'll let you know how the DV part of the 8500 goes. Had one through the ringer yet?

Freck

freckmoto
01-01-02, 11:43 AM
Only thing is I'm not going to slap my old duron in there hehe. Installing that Alpha once was nerveracking enough!

Freck

HalfLifer
01-01-02, 11:45 AM
Yep, clear that CMOS, heard it works for that board.

Let me know how it runs, I got the same setup, just waitin on my 1600+!!

and yes, that PAL8045 is a nerveracker!

HalfLifer
01-01-02, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Brent
when i setup my first k7t266pro 2 it wouldn't post either, i was afraid i cracked my 1800+ axp! so i tried a duron cpu and it worked! put the axp back in and it didn't! so i was worried, so what I did was clear the CMOS in every jumper position it would go lol, and then it booted :D

What do u mean in every position it would go?? Theres only 2, clear and save.

Brent
01-01-02, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by HalfLifer

What do u mean in every position it would go?? Theres only 2, clear and save.

i didn't read it before i did it, just tried all pins covered, then all pins not covered with powering on the system, and not powering on the system lol, i was WORRIED and scared so i freaked

freckmoto
01-01-02, 12:57 PM
I'll try just clearing it regularly first, but who knows, maybe I have an extra jumper cover sitting around :)

Freck

freckmoto
01-01-02, 02:10 PM
Do I need to boot the computer when its in the reset position? I put it in the clear position and let it set for about 5 minutes. Does it need to be plugged in?

Freck

HalfLifer
01-01-02, 02:29 PM
No.

Shut computer off, take out power cord. Reset CMOS and return to normal position. Plug in power and turn on.

freckmoto
01-01-02, 02:34 PM
Tried it a few times now. No go. Should I try a different monitor maybe? Could it just be my mobo doesn't like my Radeon 8500? B/C It works fine on the tnt2 in my other comp.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Freck

HalfLifer
01-01-02, 02:39 PM
Thats a tough call man...

Did you make sure the PAL8045 is making contact with the core of the AXP?

freckmoto
01-01-02, 02:42 PM
Yup. I don't know how it happenned, but maybe I cracked/fried it somehow along the way :(

Freck

freckmoto
01-01-02, 02:44 PM
I suppose I'll try what Brent suggested in a few minutes.

Freck

freckmoto
01-01-02, 06:03 PM
No luck, I think It must be the cpu. Wish me Luck as I now embark to unvail it from the PAL8045. Please no chips! (makes it non returnable).

Freck

freckmoto
01-01-02, 06:20 PM
Ok, It's not chipped, however It seems that the Heatsink may not have been making proper contact. When I unscrewed the screws with springs that I used to install the heatsink, they were stuck to the mounting screws which I clearly need to tighten further next time. So now the question becomes, How do I know if I fried this thing?

Freck

downhill
01-01-02, 06:30 PM
Do you have another mobo to try it on?

You say it didn't post. So I'm listening for understanding here.

By post you do mean that the very first time you turned on your puter, you did not get a post beep? If not, you may, (possible) more than likely have other issues.

YARDofSTUF
01-01-02, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by freckmoto
Ok, It's not chipped, however It seems that the Heatsink may not have been making proper contact. When I unscrewed the screws with springs that I used to install the heatsink, they were stuck to the mounting screws which I clearly need to tighten further next time. So now the question becomes, How do I know if I fried this thing?

Freck

put the duron in there and power teh beast up, load failsafes and shut it off, clear cmos and install athlon XP ur good with comps, be careful with the hsf not afraid.

terrancelam
01-01-02, 07:06 PM
I think you have to try clearing the cmos via battery removal and then going over the jumpers, it seems like you may have the clear cmos jumper on.

Another possibility here is the CPU fan, if you are using a molex connection for your fan instead of a 3 pin connector, then the mother board will no boot, as most board have the safety feature of the no cpu fan = no boot on at default.

freckmoto
01-02-02, 09:17 AM
Now that I look at the impression of the goop on the HSF I'm pretty sure it was making perfect contact. The plot thickens. I think this just may be a DOA CPU. Hmm, I wonder what my local place would charge to check it out.

Freck

YARDofSTUF
01-02-02, 09:21 AM
PUT THE DURON IN THERE!!! lol

freckmoto
01-02-02, 09:29 AM
hehehe, ok yard. I'm just lazy as hell. And stupid local shops want 30 bucks to test the cpu. Thats more than half of what I need for an Epox board hehe. So I'll go install the duron, load failsafe bios defaults, clear the cmos and install the xp correct?

And then the xp should work eh?

Freck

freckmoto
01-02-02, 10:56 AM
THANKS YARD and Brent :) It works! I should have listened to you in the first place Brent, and thanks for knocking a bit of sense into me yardy :) And thanks to everyone elses suggestions as well :cool:

Freck