PDA

View Full Version : those stupid plactic mobo standoffs.

AMPLIFRIER
12-31-01, 02:51 PM
does anyone know where to buy like a 50 count bag of them?

i know they are supposed to come with the mobo.....but mine typically dont. am i just unlucky?:rolleyes:

thanks in advance and happy new year to yall!

AMP

iaus10
12-31-01, 02:55 PM
I'm unlucky too then. I always have to get them from the local hardware store. About 4-5 cents each.

Murman
12-31-01, 04:59 PM
They usallay only come with cases, never seen them come with motherboards.

pricewatch maybe?

AMPLIFRIER
12-31-01, 05:05 PM
lol isnt this kind of weird?

ive had to got to the local pc repair shop because i have bought more mobos than i am using. got 2 really nice ones sitting in boxes right now.....im wanting to put a system together for my mom........i only have one of those standoffs though.

it doensnt seem to me that this should be such a weird thing to have to purchase/find.

maybe the aliens screwed up when they programed this part of the world we know.

AMP

downhill
12-31-01, 05:17 PM
They make em out of plastic? My case came with brass standoffs.

AMPLIFRIER
12-31-01, 05:19 PM
yup

i use ALL plastic standoffs in mine

AMP

Murman
12-31-01, 05:22 PM
ya they make both .. brass ones are best though.

Well since you have bought mobos from a local shop go down and ask them for a couple handfulls, I bet they have thousands laying around.

Murman
12-31-01, 05:27 PM
here ya go .. thanks to loop2kills case link in another post

http://www.directron.com/motherboards-accessaries.html

AMPLIFRIER
12-31-01, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Murman
ya they make both .. brass ones are best though.

Well since you have bought mobos from a local shop go down and ask them for a couple handfulls, I bet they have thousands laying around.

i am not doubting you at all.....i just wonder why do you prefer brass standoffs?

AMP

Murman
12-31-01, 05:33 PM
well the brass one's screw into case panel that the mobo rests on and then you screw the mobo down to the brass standoffs, so now there nice and secure. Plus with a heavy duty HSF there's viberation with plastic, not with the screwed in brass ones. The palstic ones don't secure the board quite as good as well.

YARDofSTUF
12-31-01, 05:37 PM
god both my cases came with them, my leaktek mobo did as well and i bought a bag or screws and standoffs when building my fisrt case, i have a ton lol

AMPLIFRIER
12-31-01, 05:39 PM
no doubt

i just use the plastic ones and then......i have expansion slots all filled (except for 1)......screw my cards in and nothing moves.....i will try your methid next time i build a box and see how it goes

AMP

AMPLIFRIER
12-31-01, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
god both my cases came with them, my leaktek mobo did as well and i bought a bag or screws and standoffs when building my fisrt case, i have a ton lol

where did you buy them?

AMP

Murman
12-31-01, 06:23 PM
here ya go .. thanks to loop2kills case link in another post

http://www.directron.com/motherboards-accessaries.html

AMPLIFRIER
12-31-01, 06:35 PM

doooode!
you soooooo rock!

thanks

AMP

YARDofSTUF
12-31-01, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by AMPLIFRIER

where did you buy them?

AMP

www.2cooltek.com

el bob
12-31-01, 08:53 PM
Earth to hardware peeps

purpose of the metal motherboard mount holes is also to serve as an external ground to the motherboard

plastic is not conductive of electricity hence why prefab computers come with both plastic and metal connectors

plastic is cheap but they also have metal ones to fulfill the intended purpose of the standoffs

my $.02