PDA

View Full Version : BEST FOR GAMING PURPOSES: geforce 3 or radeon?

velvta
12-31-01, 02:37 PM
I could have sworn I saw better benchmarks with games using the geforce. What's the scoop?

Brent
12-31-01, 02:52 PM
a toss up

what games?

what gmaes you play?

velvta
12-31-01, 02:58 PM
right now, i dont play games, cause my comp sucks. But, I'd be into the 3d thing of course because most games that I would probably be playing are all about 3d.

Brent
12-31-01, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by velvta
right now, i dont play games, cause my comp sucks. But, I'd be into the 3d thing of course because most games that I would probably be playing are all about 3d.

lol, well duh

i meant what genre of games

First Person Shooters? Simulation Flight Sims? Racing Games? Strategy?

any specific games? etc...

cy
12-31-01, 03:07 PM
I think GF3 would be better :)

velvta
12-31-01, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Brent

lol, well duh

i meant what genre of games

First Person Shooters? Simulation Flight Sims? Racing Games? Strategy?

any specific games? etc...

I guess mainly fps, rpg, strategy,and mayyybe star wars online.

Qwijib0
12-31-01, 09:07 PM
I like the Radeon 8500... cheaper than the ti500, and if you're not a SERIOUS gamer now, you can hold out for newer drivers later, and enjoy some speed now.

onetrueday
01-01-02, 02:18 AM
i think we're finally at the point where it doesnt matter. Both of the cards are so fast, that benchmarks should be your last concern. you should look instead at price and features. Which card has the better features? Which one is cheaper? Then, base your decsion on those things. I'm play rtcw at 1024 with EVERY feature turned to max and it looks perfect. Both of those cards are much stronger then my radeon64ddr though.

brembo
01-01-02, 02:32 AM
Well, Macho is gonna scream 8500. I don't blame him either, the card has beautiful rendering abililities. But I do have issues with ATI drivers in general. If yer somewhat computer savy, its not a huge deal, but if yer the plug n' play type that does not enjoy tweaking, I'd go with the G3. I'm gonna let the current generation become a little outdated, then pick one up for chicken feed.

terrancelam
01-01-02, 02:55 AM
if you want the fastest frames per second, Geforce 3, hands down.

If you want beauty and speed, but not as fast at the GF3, the Radeon 8500, without a question. All prefferance. I personally like the Radeon because it's nice and fast and comes with a DV option, but then again the GF3, looks nice that way too! ahhh just remember, currently the Radeon is looking better with it's driver set, but then again, ATi relys heavily on it's fan base to help release and beta their own drivers.

YARDofSTUF
01-01-02, 03:03 AM
ati is like the linux of the vid card industry lol

CBurcik
01-01-02, 12:40 PM
Kinda like AMD is the Linux of the microprocessor industry.......

I ended up buying ATI mainly on price and have been happy with it.

I just think its funny that alot of you guys/gals pump up AMD (as I do) because of the price performance factor but think an extra $100 on a video card is worth the 2 percent performance difference between Radeon 8500 and Gf3 TI 500......

Everyone should be happy ATI is doing a better job.......

AMD helped drive CPU prices down and ATI should do the same with video cards.

YeOldeStonecat
01-01-02, 12:44 PM
More games have less issues with nVidia cards. While yes ATI finally has a decently performing vid card, historically more people have had video issues with more games using ATI cards than any other card I've seen. It's yet to be seen if ATI will change and maintain a frequent driver update release schedule like nVidia has.

AMPLIFRIER
01-01-02, 02:40 PM
how ya like that nforce mobo StoneCat?

AMP

lord_yuri
01-01-02, 05:38 PM
radeon 8500 all the way............

monty
01-01-02, 11:36 PM
Don't buy based upon others' opinions; go compare the two yourself!

onetrueday
01-02-02, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by monty
Don't buy based upon others' opinions; go compare the two yourself!

You mean based on benchmarks and reviews?

I would certainly trust the people's opinions here first.

YeOldeStonecat
01-02-02, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by AMPLIFRIER
how ya like that nforce mobo StoneCat?

AMP

Digging it so far. Absolutely no problems the night I built it....no problems running it since then. And new BIOS came out last week which allowed much more overclocking than prior...namely they added multiplier setting, on top of the prior support for FSB which it had.

YARDofSTUF
01-02-02, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat

Digging it so far. Absolutely no problems the night I built it....no problems running it since then. And new BIOS came out last week which allowed much more overclocking than prior...namely they added multiplier setting, on top of the prior support for FSB which it had.

damnit load sandra and bench it in mem cpu and multimedia before i hunt u down! lol

YeOldeStonecat
01-02-02, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by YARDofSTUF

damnit load sandra and bench it in mem cpu and multimedia before i hunt u down! lol

LOL...alright, I'll give it a go tonight. Which version of Sandra is "supposed to be" accurate without any issues? Latest one?

Also never got my picture links working correctly, where's the readme here on how to do that correctly again? Haven't had them working in a year or so, not that I post pics anyways.

YARDofSTUF
01-02-02, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat

LOL...alright, I'll give it a go tonight. Which version of Sandra is "supposed to be" accurate without any issues? Latest one?

Also never got my picture links working correctly, where's the readme here on how to do that correctly again? Haven't had them working in a year or so, not that I post pics anyways.

when posting click teh IMG buttun in teh vbcode section in teh middle of the posting screen, get the sandra te version, goto cnet they have the right one, but if u get 001 instead its ok it is accurate, just gotta uncheck an item

Ghosthunter
01-02-02, 09:22 AM
As an owner of a Leadtek GF 3 Ti 500, I can say without a doubt, it runs superfast, and looks great.

I have no issues with any games, while I have several friends who have ATI cards and are always complaining about issues, whether or not they dont know what they are doing, or something else wrong with their machine. I dont know, but I can say I am totally satisfied with the gf3 ti 500.

Hope that helps.

YARDofSTUF
01-02-02, 09:24 AM
my vote is for tha ati radeon 8500 cuz it gets a litte faster every update it gets and has better image quality

MartialArtist12
01-02-02, 08:10 PM
Actually, ATI has more market share in the industry than NVidia. NVidia is popular in the US and while the ATI is too, they are big around the world. Plus, they're the biggest when it comes to OEM and most laptops have ATI chips of some sort.

I say ATI. The IQ, speed, and features are really good. Plus, the GeForce3 Ti500 isn't faster than the 8500 in many benchmarks and the 8500 is getting better with every driver and there's going to be a new driver soon!

Exactly how much does a GeForce3 Ti500 cost? You need a freakin' lease option. I got my 8500 for $203.

velvta
01-02-02, 10:00 PM
Well I'm looking at it this way too, I think I'll be getting a gf3. Only because I'm going to be running an athlon xp, in windows xp. Radeons right now perform like crap with an athlon, AND under xp. With that in mind, the Radeon just doesn't seem like it's for me. Plus I'm all about sacrificing image quality for good framerate. What good is playing a game that looks amazingly amazing but you have no framerate? I do believe the radeon will eventually work it'self out right to be directly on par with the gf3 if not better because it DOES beat it on paper after all, but how long that will be till they optimize those drivers is beyond me.

MartialArtist12
01-02-02, 11:43 PM
Framerate isn't a problem for the Radeon 8500, what are you talking about? Framerate isn't even a problem for many last-generation cards. You are not sacrificing frames for good image quality with the 8500 nor the GF3, ask anyone.

Radeon 8500 performs like crap under XP and Athlon XP? When was this? Huh, I have an Athlon XP, and Windows XP Pro, and it sure doesn't perform like crap.

http://www.digit-life.com/articles/digest3d/itogi-video-q3ani.html

Ghosthunter
01-03-02, 12:01 AM
"Actually, ATI has more market share in the industry than NVidia. NVidia is popular in the US and while the ATI is too, they are big around the world. Plus, they're the biggest when it comes to OEM and most laptops have ATI chips of some sort. "

Where do you get your figures from?

Brent
01-03-02, 12:14 AM
he's right, ATI is bigger then NVIDIA and have been around a LOT longer as well

ATI has a HUGE OEM market that NVIDIA doesn't have

nvidia holds the enthusiast market, but that market is very small out of the whole world markets

but nvidia is trying to get into the oem a bit, they have some good, actually the best laptop graphics chips, the GF2Go and their new NV17 is the best laptop chip

plus they are making strides in the mobo chipset market with their nForce now, and don't forget the xbox, so they are expanding now cause they realize they must to stay in tact as a business, the competition and market demands it

HongKongPolice
01-03-02, 04:02 AM
Screw those, get a Voodoo6

BaLa
01-03-02, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by TigerUpperCut
Screw those, get a Voodoo6

lmao
you can still get those?

velvta
01-03-02, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by MartialArtist12
Framerate isn't a problem for the Radeon 8500, what are you talking about? Framerate isn't even a problem for many last-generation cards. You are not sacrificing frames for good image quality with the 8500 nor the GF3, ask anyone.

Radeon 8500 performs like crap under XP and Athlon XP? When was this? Huh, I have an Athlon XP, and Windows XP Pro, and it sure doesn't perform like crap.

http://www.digit-life.com/articles/digest3d/itogi-video-q3ani.html

Well, you can check out the benchmarks here at this site that did a big test on it. http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2001q4/vidcards/index.x?pg=5

This explains what I'm talking about concerning the framerates. Then on page 11, it shows the comparisons between athlon and p4. On page 18, it shows how crappy the radeon runs (compared to the gf3) with its antialiasing on.

Then on Brent's review at hardocp, It shows that if you want better image quality, you would want to turn on that TRUFORM thingy, and that gives framerate a huge kick in the face. Then there's the ANISOTROPY, which once again makes everything look better, yet hits the framerate kinda hard. Then there's SMOOTHVISION, which once again, makes the images better, but kicks framerate in the balls. Like I said, I'd much rather have a smooth playing game with no jerkyness rather than have a pretty looking still picture (yes im exadurating).

This is why I'm buying a GF3. I don't doubt that maybe ATI can sort out their drivers and make the radeon better than the GF3, but I did say maybe, and who knows when that maybe will be.

MartialArtist12
01-04-02, 03:51 PM
Hmmm... Well, I get around 62fps in CS with Truform, 4X Smoothvision, and Anis at the highest quality @ 1024*768.

Hope you have fun though.