PDA

View Full Version : 2 Hd's installing..(how to?)

ARS
12-30-01, 09:22 PM
Ok, I have just bought a new hard drive(40gb) and want to use that as my secondary hard drive and use my smaller one just to keep all my OS's on and what not.

I do not know much about hardware, and I search this forum on help on this, but no luck. SO when I add the second HD, how do I do it? What things might trick me while trying to install it?

If anyone can give me the basics or more on how to install 2 hard drives, much appreciated..

Have a nice night,

Anthony

monkeyhead
12-30-01, 09:35 PM
what kind of hard drive?

theres no much to it.... do you know how to use fdisk?

cy
12-30-01, 09:35 PM
1) Set your harddrive jumpers to a SLAVE setting.
2) Mount the harddrive
3) Plug in power, and the IDE cable. IDE cable should be the same one as the one that you are using for your primary HD. The primary HD goes to the END of the cable and the slave goes to the 2nd one.
4) Make sure everything is pluged in, turn on your computer
5) Go into BIOS, by pressing Del, F1 or whatever it is
6) Go into your IDE options and do a auto detect. If it shows your 2nd harddrive there, it means you have installed it successfully
7) Reboot and you got a new HD ;)

btw, can u tell us your computer's specs? It'll help us more on helping u :)

Edit: Are my steps right? Am i missing something? hum.....seems like it but i donno what it is...can someone point it out? :D

monkeyhead
12-30-01, 09:36 PM
yeah do that first, but the disk might not be partitioned

cy
12-30-01, 09:38 PM
But if he's using it only for storage, i doubt he needs to be partition it. Well, he might want to but I was just telling him how to install it first :D

m4a2t0t
12-30-01, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by cy

Edit: Are my steps right? Am i missing something? hum.....seems like it but i donno what it is...can someone point it out? :D

you forgot to say turn off the computer first:D :p

ARS
12-30-01, 11:22 PM
Ok, I tried installing it by myself..

First, I have some kind of 5.9GB hd that will hold my system files and the 40GB is a WesternDigital Hard Drive. 3.5-inch IDE with 7200 RPM's that will hold my other crap.

Now, the hard drive came with a Data Lifeguard Tool to used to format and partion my new hard drive. Well, when I hook it up as my slave, it does NOT find the new hd to format it and what not. When I just hook it up as master, it finds it, but when I select the option as I am formatting WindowsXP, it says my BIOS will not support WinXP, when I know it will since I am running it right now, and I must start the process over again.

When I say I will format a Win9x OS on it, it says it's about to copy files, it freezes, and I must start all over again.

If I try to enter DOS, it won't let me; it just keeps asking for the disk with "Data Lifeguard Tools" on and ENTER it in. Won't let me get by it.

Also, another thing, when I go into BIOS to auto-detect my NEW HD as slave it doesn't, but when I have the NEW HD on Master, it finds it fine.. why so?

If I am doing something wrong, please inform me. Much help is appreciated.. and everything always goes wrong with me.. NO FAIR.

hehe,

Anthony

cy
12-30-01, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by m0a2t4t

you forgot to say turn off the computer first:D :p

NO WONDER! it's been bugging me for the whole night! lmao.... :D

Anyways, did you set your jumpers to slave? Jumpers are the little plugs that's in between the power and IDE connector. You have to put it in the right spot in order for it to work as slave. Try look in your installation instruction and it should tell u what setting is for slave ;)

ARS
12-30-01, 11:44 PM
I looked on the site at Western Digital and it said I had it right. I do not know what to try. Didn't know it was this hard to setup a new hard drive. Eep

cy
12-31-01, 01:36 AM
what motherboard you got there? processer?

onetrueday
12-31-01, 04:47 AM
I cant be positive about this, but I'm pretty sure you did everything right. You mentioned that you have a 5.6gig hard drive that your OS is running on, which leads me to the following conclusion: your bios/motherboard CAN NOT see a hard drive that big.

A TINY BIT of history.

A long time ago, 1gig was only a dream. So, while they were designing motherboards; a 2gig limit was made on motherboards. There are complex reasons for this, which you'll have to look up on your own. Then, the broke that barrier, all the way up to 8gigs!! It was stuck at 8gigs for quite some time, then went up to 30gigs. New motherboards can support much higher, although I'm unsure what that is exactly.

So, since you currently have such a small hard drive, I can assume your motherboard is from the pent233mx era. Or, sometime around the time that chip was considered new. So, your computer is probably limited to an 8gig hard drive.

There is a fix though, which I posted in a previous post:

there is software that you can get for free from the hard drive maker that will work. What it does is load right after the bios. It will tell the bios that the hard drive is 20meg, then the program will kick it and act as a layer. It'll assure that windows see that the hard drive is 20gig. It is not without risks, but it will work if done properly.

Hope this helps you. You should visit the hard drive makers website and see if you can find more information there.

ARS
12-31-01, 05:01 PM
I don't know much about mobo's, so I don't know which mobo brand mine is. I have a 450processor though..128RAM.

So you are trying to say that I knew a new mobo to allow more GB's ? How much does a nice new mobo costs'?(approx)

Anyone else got any other ideas.

Thanks so far..

AMPLIFRIER
12-31-01, 05:15 PM
correct me if im wrong......im assuming the 5.6gig is only 5400 rpm?

if so.....i understand that this may get a bit more involved than you would like.......but......moving the os to the 7200 rpm drive would give you a performance gain.

have you thought about partitioning the new drive ...installing the os on that....and creating other partitions for data storage or other os's?

you could still use your extra drive (the original one) as a slave

now would be a good time to mess with it :D

AMP

cy
12-31-01, 05:37 PM
Actually i just did that with my uncle's computer. He got a brand new 15 GB HD from someone, and I had to partition his new one and then format his old one (10GB) into a storage one. It took me about 2 hrs to do all including hte installation of Window XP. Anyways, in your situation, I think install the OS on the new HD would be better since it's a 7200 rpm ;)

ARS
12-31-01, 08:30 PM
but don't I have to install the new drive and then partition it.. in which if OTD is right, I gotta buy a new mobo.. but is there a way I can get around of what she was talking about if it is right?..

I wish it was easier said than done, and I am all for the performance boost but first we gotta work on getting the drive initially install right? or is there a way to partition the size of the drive into smaller parts.. which will make the motherboard to thinking its smaller hard drives..? or can we not do that. I dunno, I am just brainstorming on what to do.. and would hate to just buy a new mobo.. but it might come down to that..

arg frustrating.. but I love it :p

ARS
01-01-02, 04:41 PM
bump^

cy
01-01-02, 04:48 PM
You should first get your HD recognize in your BIOS, then you can partition your new drive. But one more thing, if you are going to use your new HD as your OS harddrive, you need to set the jumper of the new HD to primary and old one to slave.
Anyways, partition your new HD using fdisk if you know how, then install OS on the partition, get a OS up, and then format your old one as data storage ;)

ARS
01-01-02, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by cy
You should first get your HD recognize in your BIOS, then you can partition your new drive. But one more thing, if you are going to use your new HD as your OS harddrive, you need to set the jumper of the new HD to primary and old one to slave.
Anyways, partition your new HD using fdisk if you know how, then install OS on the partition, get a OS up, and then format your old one as data storage ;)

That's the problem.. when I go into BIOS, it does NOT recognize my new hd; don't know why. And when I boot up and it says it is checking all the drives.. I have to push F4 to skip the new hd because it does not recognize it and then the other drives are recognized and then I get halted after that.. saying I need to put in a floppy disk into the folppy diskette. I have a WindowsXP Start-up disk, but it does not have the tools on it to format and what not. Even when I put in my Windows98 Start-up disk, it still does NOT want to format the hard drive. I just do not know what to do..

cy
01-01-02, 05:28 PM
try ME boot disk ;)

ARS
01-01-02, 06:10 PM
poop lol