PDA

View Full Version : Peltier AMD

Jesus
12-30-01, 09:44 AM
Hi

Im looking for to put a peltier on my 1.4 athlon, along with cold plate the works, but i heard that there not really recommended for amd's is that true, if not what temps should a be looking at if i was running the peltier?

cheers

freckmoto
12-30-01, 10:46 AM
Basically if you want a pelt that dissipates a lot of heat you are going to need a few things.

1. A very large Power supply. Probably 500+ watts or a seperate power supply for just the peltier.

2. Cooling for the pelt. To cool a decent watt pelt you will need water cooling, which is a whole nother thing. You can air cool some peltiers, but not ones with the wattage you will need to be worth it.

Unless you have tons of cash and time, I don't reccomend this. Get a good HSF like the Alpha 8045 and O/C your proc with air cooling. You should get to 1600 at least I'd say.

Freck

freckmoto
12-30-01, 10:47 AM
Oh and as for temps, I remember Matt over at athlonoc got right around 5 degrees C.

Freck

syncmaster
12-31-01, 07:56 AM
Stay away from peltiers ....

They are CPU killers , you can only feel tha pain when your own CPU will just stop booting ,with out any logical reason ..

If you buy a peltier is just matter of time to happen ..

freckmoto
12-31-01, 10:07 AM
I agree Sync, to run once safely I remember a guy coating his whole socket in silicone and waterproofing his mobo etc. hehe

Freck