PDA

View Full Version : Experimentation time

terrancelam
12-29-01, 11:50 PM
Well right now I have time on my hands and I will have a bit more cash soon. I'll probably invest my up coming cash on a new case, for better air flow and get a couple more fans and see how far I can take air cooling and ocing

Brent
12-30-01, 12:02 AM
Ok

cy
12-30-01, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by terrancelam
Well right now I have time on my hands and I will have a bit more cash soon. I'll probably invest my up coming cash on a new case, for better air flow and get a couple more fans and see how far I can take air cooling and ocing

I m interested in that too :)
If u happen to find a nice case and good budget, tell me plz, i've been trying to look for a case like that in Toronto area for a long while already.... :(

terrancelam
12-30-01, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Brent
Ok

? Did I miss something???

BTW Cy will do. :)

MagicMikey
12-30-01, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Brent
Ok

spammer... ;)

YARDofSTUF
12-30-01, 12:42 AM
lol terrance, that way u posted it kinda leaves us wondering "and?" lol

wanna tell us some ideas u got? ;)

terrancelam
12-30-01, 12:56 AM
I'm kinda beat dead tired at the moment, but I'll post more details in the morning. till then, feel free to dicuss some theories or ideas :)

cy
12-30-01, 02:52 AM
btw terran, do u know of any good places to buy parts in Toronto area? ;)

terrancelam
12-30-01, 02:51 PM
honestly all the stores in downtown Toronto (down on college, between Augusta and Spadina), there are only a few good stores, take for example, Honson computers, they have great tech support, but their prices are quite high. So if you want to get something you think you'll need a great deal of tech support on, go there.

If you want enthusiast stuff and I'm talking like getting shims and Alpha heatsinks, goto Canada Computer Electronics, they are located on College and Augusta on the corner. They have the best prices, but the ****tiest tech support. More then half of the working staff there are ugly as they are stupid. But their prices are the best you'll find the area and are always very competitive along with the widest selection.

Now if your looking for the balance between the two, goto Filtech, it's located a bit south from college on Spadina, it's close to a Pizza Nova (There is an alley between them.) They have decent tech support, not great, but workable and their prices are usually very similar to CCEs. Only difference is that they don't carry such a wide selection and what they do carry tends to sell out faster as they carry a smaller stock of it.

As for what I'm planning on doing, well gonna get myself a better midtower ATX case, that has a 80x80mm fan port at the back of the case (so I can increase the out take of air) and I'm also considering testing out my old Alpha PAL 6035 (the V2.0, without the knobs on the bottom of the hs) along with with the Ys-tech 5400 rpm and create a cardboard air directioner between the cpu fan and the 80mm exhuast. Then if I get more time, I'll create another output area on the side of the case just to expell more hot air, (BTW I'm considering chucking my bay slot fans as they do jack and theory has it, that even with all 3 boy slots in use for the fans, if you have enough fans expelling air, (like 2 80mm ones) they more then out do those crappy things. but I might keep it around for the nostalgic look :). Then I have to mod the front abit, create an opening at the lower bottom part of the case for air to be sucked in to the case, along with a dust filter.

Also, I'm going to see if the shim helps along with better air cooling. I know for most cases where the air flow is alright, the shim doesn't work as well as the heat builds up faster then it can be dissipated. Hopefully I can find a higher CFM fan with not such a high RPM and dba. But I might try what Yard suggested with a adapter and a 80mm fan on the 6035 and my other hs/f, the CAK-38. If I get real desperate, I might just go for the Delta 7K that I currently have on my hs.

cy
12-31-01, 01:54 AM
O! Canada Computer! I recongize that store.......
I went to the one in Pacific Mall down in Scarbough and the service is......%!@#^!$, just can't explain with words. But true, they do have some really good deals.

I m also looking for that kind of case, but one more thing i want to add.....a water cooling system. So tell me if u got any very good deal on these cooling case and water cooling system so that i can check it out. Thanks :)

terrancelam
12-31-01, 02:29 AM
personally, I don't water cool, too dangerous and too hardcore for me. I think someone else might be able to help you there though. I'm looking to get maybe a full tower or mid tower, prices should be no more then 70 bucks at most.

cy
12-31-01, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by terrancelam
personally, I don't water cool, too dangerous and too hardcore for me. I think someone else might be able to help you there though. I'm looking to get maybe a full tower or mid tower, prices should be no more then 70 bucks at most.

Your $70 is include power supply or no? ;) I think I want one INCLUDE power supply or doesn't seem possible. Anyways, my damn PSU's fan just broke and i can no longer use my power supply or else it'll heat up really badly in within 1 min.. :(
Anyways, keep in touch, tell me if there's any good deal :)

terrancelam
01-01-02, 09:26 AM
You need one with a PSU..hmmm btw what's in your box right now? what you could do is go for a cheaper Mid ATX with a 350watter (Tell then to take out the 300W and give you a 350W) which would make it like $40 extra, if they let you do that. So it'll be like $85 bucks without tax yet for you...hmmm I actually considering a full tower myself, but unlike you, I already have my PSU set, I got a dual fan 370w PSU. Right now I got $60, but not sure on what I case I should get, let me go shopping for one and I'll tell you what I think.