PDA

View Full Version : Flat Panels and Gaming

Gabinskiy
12-29-01, 12:42 PM
I dont know who ever got the idea that flat panels dont work good with games. To who ever that person is he is way wrong. I loaded UT on my new computer 2Ghz:) and that puppy ran awsome compared to my trinitron monitor by sony. i ran it in the highest reselution and still no dergrading of video quality. Iam using a 17inch Dell Flatpanel on a Ti 500 with the dvi connection making it digital ill tell u games are awsome and dvds are like the move theater. so ill tell u there is nothing wrong with games used with flat panels it beats a crt in most cases. i think people are just neglecting the new technology. and still sticking with there conventional crt monitors. i hope this clears thing up for some people that say flat panels suck.

MAmuT
12-29-01, 02:48 PM
well movies on the theater SUCKS , the only thing it is good its the sound , but the image quality is BAAAADDDDD. So if you have the image quality of a theater on your PC . Consider in going back to you triniton

el bob
12-29-01, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by John

I have the desk space, and can get two 19" crts for the price of one 17" flat panel.

$783 for Samsung 17" TFT that will do 1080*1024@81Hz

$161 for 19" Future Power

both monitors are maxed out in contrast ratio, dot pitch, etc.

almost 5 19"ers

but in terms of whether a flat panel will work with high grade gaming, that all depends on the refresh rate

don't even bother on a 15" 1024*768@60Hz TFT if you are coming off a trinitron crt

my $.02

rpeAMP
12-29-01, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Gabinskiy
I dont know who ever got the idea that flat panels dont work good with games. To who ever that person is he is way wrong. I loaded UT on my new computer 2Ghz:) and that puppy ran awsome compared to my trinitron monitor by sony. i ran it in the highest reselution and still no dergrading of video quality. Iam using a 17inch Dell Flatpanel on a Ti 500 with the dvi connection making it digital ill tell u games are awsome and dvds are like the move theater. so ill tell u there is nothing wrong with games used with flat panels it beats a crt in most cases. i think people are just neglecting the new technology. and still sticking with there conventional crt monitors. i hope this clears thing up for some people that say flat panels suck.

I agree with you. I have the 18" Gateway flat-panel monitor connected digitally (DVI) and I will never go back to a regular CRT. Games come across crisp and clean, especially if FSAA is activated, and the color is extremely sharp. DVDs look just as good if not better.

wip3out
12-29-01, 05:46 PM
The reason that flat panel monitors suck for gaming is that you have to pay ridiculos amounts of money in order to get the specifications required for what most people would accept from a gaming monitor.

I've never really looked into buying a flat panel because they have always been out of my price range but for a 19" with a max res of 1600x1200 @ 75Hz refresh rate I should imagine you would have to pay around $2000 maybe even more, where as for a CRT 19" with same specs you would be looking at around $400.

And whatever you do, don't say, "but if money didn't matter LCD monitors would be best for gaming" because obviously it matters a hell of lot when you are talking thousands of dollars.

my $.0.02