PDA

View Full Version : Safe Temps for Celeron 950

BaLa
12-29-01, 03:07 AM
Playing with teh FSB on the Celry 950mhz
MSI Pro 266 Master

Boxed PRoc Retail HSF
running @ btw 47-49C right now..
this actually seems to be the same temp it was running originally 9.5x100 :confused:

Now
9.5 x 106 = 1011mhz

terrancelam
12-29-01, 12:42 PM
Either you haven't correctly placed the HS/F onto the CPU correctly are they HSF is a piece of crap. The temp should be MUCH lower, at like mid to high 30's at most! You have like T-bird temperature!

cy
12-29-01, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by terrancelam
Either you haven't correctly placed the HS/F onto the CPU correctly are they HSF is a piece of crap. The temp should be MUCH lower, at like mid to high 30's at most! You have like T-bird temperature!

agree, i have a Tbird 1.0 Ghz and it's at around 39C idle and high 40s loaded :D

BaLa
12-29-01, 04:49 PM
damn

what's a good decently price heatsink for Celerons?

terrancelam
12-29-01, 06:47 PM
$30 USD should get you a decent Alpha PAL6035 with a 5400rpm fan

BaLa
12-29-01, 07:14 PM
well before I rush off to get a new Heatsink....

do you think it might have something to do with my PSU being only a 235 Watt..
The PSU is running pretty hot already, and I don't have any extra case fans in there...

HalfLifer
12-29-01, 08:06 PM
Yea, I'd get atleast a 300 Watt.

terrancelam
12-29-01, 09:20 PM
the PSU is right on top of the CPU HS/F and the PSU is blocking the flow of air, along with causing a slow down in the fan on the cpu (you should check the bios or a hard ware monitor to see if it's working properly), then I might consider it.

BaLa
12-29-01, 09:38 PM
hmm
actually it's not..
it's "top-mounted"

what could else could be teh prob?

unless
the location of the case is

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=537040#post537040

the 2nd pic

terrancelam
12-29-01, 09:49 PM
I need alittle clarity, I know that most cases with only 3 bay slots, has the PSU right over the hs/f of the CPU, which is a big no no, lots of back flow of hot air, Unless you have a slot 1 board, in which case, it's fine. (The HS/F would face and draw or push out air from an open space.

But first I would check the HS/F and the CPU and make sure they are actually connecting and that it's not hoovering above, as at that temperature, it seems to be the case.

Getting a new case might solve the problem of the basd air flow, but if you are using a stock HS/F, which is a utter pos, you might want to consider getting a nicer Alpha PAL 6035 (If you feel like spending cash) if not, maybe an old FOP-38 along with a lower rpm fan would do the trick just as well and less loudly.

BaLa
12-29-01, 10:26 PM
well like I said before the PSU is not blocking the HSF

inside of my case looks about like that..
http://www.casedepot.com/images/C4050b-3.jpg

well I doubt the heatsink is not actually touching the proc..
b/c it was a B!TCH to get on...the clip is VERY stiff on it..
and the proc actually looks like a TBird..
the core is above the rest of the proc..

terrancelam
12-29-01, 10:31 PM
well then, different story.

First, check to see how many RPMs your fan is running at and make sure it's not too low. If it is, it may attributed to your lower wattage PSU, in which case I would get a 300W just to be safe and a 350W to be even more safe, as there is like a $5 dollar difference in the two.

Secondly, if the fan is running at its best, I would definately consider replacing it, as it's not working at all for your setup.

BaLa
01-01-02, 01:25 AM
update....

I updated/upgraded the bios; one of the fixes was
for the Temp Monitor..

upgraded from v1.0 to 1.4

43C now Full Load...

not much cooler but 6C does make a bit of a difference..

terrance. CPU Fan is running @ 3800 RPMs

terrancelam
01-01-02, 02:40 AM
that's not to hot, if you can, just replace the fan and get atleast a 5400 rpm fan. They aren't very loud and usually have a 27cfm base air flow, very good for cooling off celerons, but something tells me that you have a very crappy HS as well, so it might make sense to consider a better HS/F solution in all.

BaLa
01-01-02, 02:44 AM
what's the standard size for a Heatsink Fan....

bah better yet...

what's a good, cheap heatsink for a Celeron..

I wont be overclocking much at all, as I don't use this comp much and I'm quite happy with the 1gig right now..

terrancelam
01-01-02, 02:51 AM
well personally, I wouldn't go for cheap as much as I would versatility, the Alpha PAL 6035 has gone down ALOT in price since the arrival of the vapochill four hole heat sinks, so this would be my number 1 recommendation. As for a good fan the Ys-tech 5400rpm should be nice. It's good and quiet, the total cost might be like $40usd at most.

BaLa
01-01-02, 02:56 AM
initally I thought about just switching the fan and leaving the heatsink..

but I don't think that's possible b/c of the way the fan is mounted on the heatsink...