PDA

View Full Version : Monitor shuts off

Joebeme2
12-28-01, 11:32 PM
Hi,

I purchased a radeon 8500 for my new computer and decided to use its old video card which was a geforce 256 in another computer of mine. For some reason, during the bios screen of the video card...the image is clear. When it gets into the part where it counts my ram and detects my hard drives and cd-roms, etc, it has lines going through it. Even when windows xp boots up, there are lines going through it and i can barely see the desktop. I am using a kleer k7 17" monitor (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/lmcomp/kleer1726svg.html). I also tried using some generic video cards that i had from old computers, they didn't cause lines going through the screen. However they caused another problem, whenever i move my mouse...the monitor will just shut off. I am not sure if the computer freezes or not because i am unable to see whats going on in the screen. Thanks for your help.

Joe

Noevo
12-28-01, 11:35 PM
Sounds like the refresh for the new(old) cards is too high now. Go into safe mode and change the drivers for your card to the generic vga drivers and then boot back into windows and install the correct drivers for the card. (if this is the problem you shouldn't see lines when in safe mode)

fartface
12-29-01, 02:43 AM
i am having the exact problem with my monitor at this instant. i am 99.9% sure it is a graphics card problem. the Fan on my graphics card died, and now part of my graphics card is fried, and made all these irritating lines through my monitor, especially when showing dark areas. i am having this problem since August, i will be purchasing a GeForce 3 in a few weeks.

You may have to buy a new graphics card.

Joebeme2
12-29-01, 12:58 PM
I will try going into safe mode and changing the drivers to the generic vga drivers and let you know what happens. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Joe