PDA

View Full Version : Need help with ACPI in XP

terrancelam
12-28-01, 11:23 PM
Now i am sick and tired of the clumped IRQs as my USB root, NIC, Soundcard and Video card are all clumped together with my ACPI on the same fricken ACPI, which is a pain in the ass as it shutsdown when it gets too excited. Any know how to disable ACPI in XP? I'll be doing some searching, but would be nice to know if someone could help. thanks in advance.

YARDofSTUF
12-28-01, 11:34 PM
click on acpi computer or whatever in device manager select properties and update driver, choose to select one from a list and select standard PC

terrancelam
12-28-01, 11:43 PM
I don't seem to see that option in my list...

terrancelam
12-29-01, 12:20 AM
anyone?

onetrueday
12-29-01, 12:39 AM
it's there... trust me.

aim: onetrueday

terrancelam
12-29-01, 12:56 AM
retarded ahhh...I really can't find it!

terrancelam
12-29-01, 01:11 AM
thanks yard for trying to help this mentally challenged soul! :)

and to Mich! AHHH *bear hugs* I think I have met god :)

RoundEye
12-29-01, 02:03 AM
If you decide to format and reload XP, next time hit the F5 key at the very start of the install. It will take a minute to come up, but you will get a prompt that lets you pick standard pc from a list.

YeOldeStonecat
12-30-01, 10:11 AM
I'll try again...as it always flawlessly works for me. I loaded XP on the below rig, all default BIOS settings, and a default XP install. ACPI when I was done had everything and it's mother on IRQ 9 in typical ACPI fashion. Same with my prior rig on an Asus Black Pearl CUSL2 mobo.

What I did, and it's really simple, is reboot and go into BIOS setup. Since I don't use any ancient legacy 9-pin serial devices, in the BIOS I disabled COM1 and COM2. COM1 by default uses IRQ 4, COM2 by default uses IRQ3. So you just freed up two legacy IRQ's by disabling those COM ports. I don't know, you may need one or both, but if you don't, disable them. If you need just one, disable the other one if you don't need both. Also, I don't use any parallel printers....so I disabled the parallel LPT port, which by default uses IRQ 7.

I then saved those changes, and rebooted. Going to Device Mangler....ACPI re-organized itself, and I have a wonderfully distributed IRQ system, with my GeForce 3 card all by itself on IRQ 7, my network card all by itself on IRQ 5, my Promise RAID controller all by itself on IRQ 11, and sound all by itself on IRQ 3.

You don't need to disable ACPI, ACPI isn't the bad guy herei it's just a newer method of fooling hardware with this virtual IRQ 9 where they all think they're the only device on it. If you take care of things on the BIOS hardware level first....you don't have to fight with the OS.

RoundEye
12-30-01, 11:54 AM
YeOldeStonecat,
I wish it were that easy for me. On the raid box I built, I disabled the com ports, printer port and USB irq before the op-sys install. It still jammed everything on irq 9 and I had free irq's too :confused: It's my game pc so I don't need all the other stuff, I map the printer through my server, and I have cable so I don't need the comm ports for a modem.

I reinstalled the op-sys with a bios that I modded, so that I could disable ACPI from the get-go. After that I could get every thing on it's own irq. I did before and after (acpi) benchmarks and it even made my hard drive performance better after I disabled acpi.

I'm using the Abit KG7 raid board.

YeOldeStonecat
12-30-01, 12:08 PM
Huh...I wonder what's still holding it on your board, cuz when I did that on my Asus Black Pearl, and this current MSI nForce board....it did exactly what I listed above. I'm wondering why you're isn't freeing up.

Haven't done an Abit board in a long time, I'm all done with them.

Do you have that switch in BIOS where you can tell is PnP OS or no? Try throwing that?

Top PCI slot is empty, right? That's a cardinal rule.

syncmaster
12-30-01, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by terrancelam
thanks yard for trying to help this mentally challenged soul! :)

and to Mich! AHHH *bear hugs* I think I have met god :)

I think that you board is not APIC enable one ..

But even that way the sharing of the IRQs is not a problem ..

Take it easy and relax ..

terrancelam
12-30-01, 03:47 PM
well currently the only thing I can attribute the unexplained reboots and crashing, is to the ACPI controller, as sometimes when I'm watching DIVX movies and when I'm playing games, like CS, the comp will just freeze and reboot. Strangest thing in the world and then I check the device manager and I see that the video card, the soundcard, the usb root, the nic and the acpi are all on the same IRQ! Insanity.. But yet stranger, I never had this problem in 98SE with the same board.. Which makes me question, where did I go wrong or what didn't I do.

Yeold, I'll try that out asap, may be a few more days before I can reset my computer (downloading like a mofo :) )

hmm thinking on it now, there are a few options I haven't tried, time to go back to the manual and read read read ! :)

onetrueday
12-30-01, 05:05 PM
you might not have done anything wrong, but there is an easy way to check. Go to start admin tools and then to event viewer. if you dont see a admin tools on your start menu, then go to your taskbar properties/advanced and enable it to be seen there.

I know that you are used to win98se, but win2k had this function as well. This is VERY useful and scroll down applications and systems. There will be some things there you dont understand, as well as some errors are to be expected.

If you need more help, repost and I'll check back later.

syncmaster
12-31-01, 06:49 AM
Personly i do not believe that ACPI is the reason of your problems ..

Start looking elsewere like Via drivers and Vga drivers ...

I do not know if you have noticed that you always are you talking about problems that have to do with issues with the graphics ....

ACPI is milles away or responsible for that problems !!

Happy new year to all ;)

Juggernaut
12-31-01, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by RoundEye
YeOldeStonecat,
I wish it were that easy for me. On the raid box I built, I disabled the com ports, printer port and USB irq before the op-sys install. It still jammed everything on irq 9 and I had free irq's too :confused: It's my game pc so I don't need all the other stuff, I map the printer through my server, and I have cable so I don't need the comm ports for a modem.

I reinstalled the op-sys with a bios that I modded, so that I could disable ACPI from the get-go. After that I could get every thing on it's own irq. I did before and after (acpi) benchmarks and it even made my hard drive performance better after I disabled acpi.

I'm using the Abit KG7 raid board.

Hey, I have the same mobo. Are you saying you disable ACPI in the BIOS and that set all you're IRQ's right in u'r OS? Or did you disable it in u'r OS as well? I would like to set up the same type of thing as you have, just wondering which one you did.

TIA

terrancelam
12-31-01, 01:55 PM
Well it's New Years, so I'll be out partying tonight! :) I'll check up on this on wednesday! :)

terrancelam
01-01-02, 07:17 PM
btw it was ACPI, though things seem a bit slower, not really, the irq are now all on seperate channels, cept for the NIC which is still on the USB root IRQ..hmm

RoundEye
01-01-02, 09:37 PM
Juggernaut, I could mod a bios so you can disable ACPI in the bios and have the latest raid bios, then e-mail it to you. But like they say Use It At Your Own Risk. I've been using it and everything seems ok.

Just to make sure, you have an Abit KG7 RAID mobo?

terrancelam, I tried to get every thing on it's own IRQ, but still had some sharing, just not as much as before I disabled ACPI.

YeOldeStonecat
01-02-02, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Juggernaut

Hey, I have the same mobo. Are you saying you disable ACPI in the BIOS and that set all you're IRQ's right in u'r OS? Or did you disable it in u'r OS as well? I would like to set up the same type of thing as you have, just wondering which one you did.

TIA

No, I never disabled ACPI, in BIOS, or in the OS,....I just freed up the IRQ's on the hardware level, and ACPI PnP had an easier job assigning IRQ's.

Once my IRQ's were nice and individual for the major components, nice performance boost.

Juggernaut
01-02-02, 10:03 AM
Hmm ok, thanks Roundeye and YeOldeStonecat. I do have the KG7 Raid mobo. I'll check into the disabling of ACPI in the BIOS as well when I get back to the computer (in about a week). The modded BIOS is a good idea but if they ever release another update to it later, I'd be screwed all over again...don't want to keep bugging you. I know where you can disable ACPI in the BIOS so I don't think I'll need the mod. Thanks anyways though.

I'll try out what you did YeOldeStonecat by disabling what I don't use and see how Windows handles it with ACPI....if it doesn't work out right, I'll try disabling ACPI like Roundeye did. I wouldn't mind a performance boost :)

RoundEye
01-02-02, 12:22 PM
There is no option to turn off ACPI in the OEM Abit bios. You have to mod it, to enable the option.

Check out this site,
http://www.biosmods.com

Juggernaut
01-02-02, 01:52 PM
hmm, I'll look into that, thanks again

Juggernaut
01-02-02, 04:35 PM
Roundeye, are those BIOS's from http://www.biosmods.com safe to use? Are those the ones you were talking about sending to me and using yourself? or were you going to mod it yourself?

syncmaster
01-02-02, 04:40 PM
http://www.thanosnet.gr/APIC.jpg

Juggernaut
01-02-02, 04:58 PM
what did you do to get them all separate?

syncmaster
01-02-02, 05:01 PM
I have an ACPI motherboard with APIC enable ..

ASUS TUSL2-C

Juggernaut
01-02-02, 05:02 PM
so you have both ACPI enabled in the BIOS and in Windows and it separated theM?

terrancelam
01-02-02, 05:06 PM
Sync, how would you go about enabling APIC? Is there a specific driver I must update?

syncmaster
01-02-02, 05:10 PM
The APIC can be enabled by the Bios .

If you motherboard support it , you will find the setting in the Bios.

If you do not find the setting in the Bios , you just do not have it .

terrancelam
01-02-02, 10:40 PM
interesting. I made an error on my part, I didn't get to see if yeolds theory on the whole freeing up IRQs in the bios would alter the whole ACPI IRQ problem in XP, I just went over to Standard, as I had a "hal.dll" problem :) ahh I'll check over as I few days left in my holiday.

terrancelam
01-04-02, 02:07 AM
hmm well I've come to the conclusion after 5 hours grappling with the problem that ACPI with the KT7A, even with the latest bios upgrade, will still clump all the IRQs onto one single one. I've tried different arrays on the PCI slots, which once led me to all the devices having their own seperate IRQs, but XP took 5 mins just to get into the desktop and then would slow down, as if an IRQ conflict had taken place(But yet no reported error was given in the device manager, yet I think that since certain PCI slots use the same IRQ, putting two devices on the bottom two slots will cause the problem. That or XP just does not like the change and a fresh install is needed). Other then the drivers causing the clump, one way to solve the problem simply is just to change from ACPI to Standard PC. Unfortunately that is just a easy solution to the problem at hand.

BTW this board does NOT support APIC, like Syncs, which I'm going to assume is new technology which allows for more IRQs of some sort. Also, I think this might be a common problem among the Via boards, mostly on the Abit side, I'm looking for answer at the moment, I will be getting my new case tomorrow, as I will go shopping for it. Hmm this problem will not go unfixed.

terrancelam
01-04-02, 02:14 AM
I've done what Yeold did, with disabling certain preordianed IRQ usage in the bios with the LPT2 port and both Com ports, to no avail. The only sucess has come with the Standard PC and the closest with ACPI was with the freak try which resulted in a breakdown.. hmmm

terrancelam
01-04-02, 02:15 AM
latest Via 4in1s, latest directX, all the patches, latest motherboard Bios, which I must say had my heart going. Have tested various combinations for the PCI slots (Except for the very first PCI slot, due to the fact that it and the AGP share the same IRQ.) Searching all data bases fore more answers.

terrancelam
01-04-02, 02:32 AM
so far after a few moments of search, no real answer to the problem, other then going out and buying a new mobo, which won't be happening anytime soon. But the good news for the users with the same problem as I, is that there is a perminate fix, switch over the Standard PC and lose the ACPI. Seems to be the only answer, with T-bird systems, it shouldn't be so bad, as you do have some gain in gaming and what not, but for over all performance, you have a gain of like 1% at best. But you may encounter wierd problems like driver installation where windows will try and install some crappy version of your drivers, which you'll have to reinstall manually or via internet updates.

But wait...what's this?

"During Windows Setup, ACPI is installed only if all components present during Setup support power management. Some components, especially legacy components, do not support power management and can cause erratic behavior with Advanced Power Management (APM), or may prevent ACPI from being installed. Examples of such components are Industry Standard Architecture (ISA) components and an out-of-date BIOS. ??

Hmmm brb, testing ahead.

terrancelam
01-04-02, 03:39 AM
disabling the APM in the bios does jack to free up the IRQs from being occupied on the one channel, but I was wondering if it was possible to up the CPU drive strength to compensate for the stability issues. testing it as we speak, so far, so good.

BTW a note on my ram status, I'm running it all the way, CAS2 , 4k paging, 4 way interleave, turbo ns. The works.