PDA

View Full Version : is there anyway

nightowl
12-28-01, 01:46 PM
to get a pentium 100 with a SIG motherboad to reconize a 20 gig hard drive?

BaLa
12-28-01, 02:12 PM
you could make a "few" partitions...

loop2kil
12-28-01, 02:34 PM
u can always use the hard drive software that came with the drive.
or see if there might be a bios flash out there that would fix the problem of seeing larger drives.

nightowl
12-28-01, 02:38 PM
sorry...this is a question from my co-worker

the problem is that the bios doesn't see the mother board....is there anyway to fool the bios into seeing it....or should i just tell my co-worker to get a new computer

webadmin
12-28-01, 02:56 PM
yes, a new computer would fix your co-worker's probelm :-)

you could build a very nice system for under $500

BaLa
12-28-01, 03:43 PM
I'm sure you meant BIOS doesn't see HDD instead of Bios doesn't see mobo..
not sure.
but if nobody comes up with a better solution a new mobo and proc wouldn't cost too much and I'm sure the rrest of his parts are still useable..

onetrueday
12-28-01, 06:34 PM
there is software that you can get for free from the hard drive maker that will work. What it does is load right after the bios. It will tell the bios that the hard drive is 20meg, then the program will kick it and act as a layer. It'll assure that windows see that the hard drive is 20gig. It is not without risks, but it will work if done properly.

nightowl
01-03-02, 07:23 AM
i'm thinking one of those ata 100 PCI controller cards would work

downhill
01-03-02, 09:30 AM
I've used Western Digital's EZ Bios on an older machine to get it to see the larger drives. That type of proggie is what otd is talking about. You can download it from Western Digital. I think that Maxtor has a same type of program.

One other thing is to see if the mobo has a new bios for it. (ok so it will be 4 years old). I've an Intel Marl board I flashed last year to get it to see larger drives.