PDA

View Full Version : total newb here

Lightfoote
12-28-01, 02:49 AM
i have an hewlett packard vectra xa...200mhz...i d/l the manual for this puter the other day and noticed i can set the clock beyond 200mhz...233mhz and 266mhz i think...im kinda itchin to try this...do i risk blowin the mpu ?....i do have an extra cpu ive swapped in before just to see if it worked...so it wouldnt be a total disaster if i blew the cpu...it only cost $10 on ebay...do i need a better fan?...told you i was a newb 8P

YeOldeStonecat
12-28-01, 05:41 AM
The Pentium P54, and P55C, were easy to overclock, and usually performed fine clocking them up one notch. Back then, it was usually done on the multiplier side, since the CPU itself wasn't locked yet. They ran on a 66 mHz FSB, and the 166 was on a 2.5 multiplier..change it to a 3.0 multiplier, and instant 200 mHz CPU. Take a 200 mHz, plop the multiplier to 3.5, and 233 was hit. Not too many 266's were made, mostly, if not all, a mobile version, but that would be 4.0.

What you want to be careful of, as some motherboards could handle several different processors, is, well, to make sure the correct processor setting is intact when changing the jumpers. Some motherboards could work with both classic Pentiums (P54), and PentiumMMX (P55C)....voltages are different....the MMX ran on a split voltage (internal and external).

Also front side bus was another method for pushing them up some more. 66 mHz being default, you often had motherboards that had support for 75 and 83 I think (for those, ugh....Cyrix imitation CPU's)....but I doubt yours will, as it's a Vectra, which is a very nice line of HP business class machines. (I had a Vectra VLU with dual Pentium Pro 150's back then).

Cooling...make sure you have a heat sink with a fan on it, I'm sure it does have one already. Clean it off....perhaps re-apply it with new thermal grease. I never had a problem with early Pentiums getting hot, they never got too toasty, ran pretty cool back then.

BaLa
12-28-01, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
The Pentium P54, and P55C, were easy to overclock, and usually performed fine clocking them up one notch. Back then, it was usually done on the multiplier side, since the CPU itself wasn't locked yet. They ran on a 66 mHz FSB, and the 166 was on a 2.5 multiplier..change it to a 3.0 multiplier, and instant 200 mHz CPU. Take a 200 mHz, plop the multiplier to 3.5, and 233 was hit. Not too many 266's were made, mostly, if not all, a mobile version, but that would be 4.0.

What you want to be careful of, as some motherboards could handle several different processors, is, well, to make sure the correct processor setting is intact when changing the jumpers. Some motherboards could work with both classic Pentiums (P54), and PentiumMMX (P55C)....voltages are different....the MMX ran on a split voltage (internal and external).

Also front side bus was another method for pushing them up some more. 66 mHz being default, you often had motherboards that had support for 75 and 83 I think (for those, ugh....Cyrix imitation CPU's)....but I doubt yours will, as it's a Vectra, which is a very nice line of HP business class machines. (I had a Vectra VLU with dual Pentium Pro 150's back then).

Cooling...make sure you have a heat sink with a fan on it, I'm sure it does have one already. Clean it off....perhaps re-apply it with new thermal grease. I never had a problem with early Pentiums getting hot, they never got too toasty, ran pretty cool back then.
sounds like someone knows his stuff http://forums.speedguide.net/images/icons/icon14.gif

Lightfoote
12-29-01, 08:24 AM
gonna run at this speed for a while to see if i get any crashes...if it goes well should i consider goin for 266mhz?