PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to flash my BIOS???

caveman
11-30-01, 04:15 AM
Don`t shout at me but I have an ECS mainboard with a 1.2Ghz T`bird CPU at the moment it`s running at 1.2 Ghz (or close enough to it) but I keep getting random system freezes but if I run it at 900Mhz it SEEMS fine.

I`m running Windows ME, ECS mainboard, 1.2Ghz CPU, 768Mb of pc133 RAM, 20 Gb HD, 300 Watt PSU, and both mainboard monitors I have used (including the BIOS one) maintain that the CPU runs at about 47-55 degrees Celcius.

Someone has told me that as the CPU Clock speed is at 133 Mhz and my multiplier is only x9 that the whole thing thinks it is being overclocked and freezes up, is this true?? And if so will a BIOS flash change the options in the BIOS to allow me to run 100Mhz but at x12 multiplier.

Any help with this little problem would really be appreciated as I don`t know an awful lot about all of this just enough to get me this far, and now I need all y`all help.

Thanx in advance,

Al.

Easto
12-01-01, 04:19 PM
It could be several things and I'll try and be brief.

I too have a stability problem running my Front Side Bus (FSB) at 133. I've actually set mine down to 130. This may help in your situation. You need to enter your bios to make this adjustment

If your CPU temp is at what you stated in an Idle state then your temps are a little high. During prolonged computer sessions you may be heating up your Proc to a level where it siezes. Hence the freezes.

Only flash your bios as a last resort.!!

Before attempting flashing a bios you could "clear" your CMOS. There is a jumper on you Mobo that allows you to do this. By clearing your cmos you set all your bios settings back to factory specs. You will then need to go into your bios and reset many of the settings to optimum levels. I would not do this unless you are comfortable working with your Bios.

DO NOT ATTEMPT ANY OF THE ABOVE UNLESS YOU'RE FAMILIAR WITH YOUR BIOS AND HAVE A COPY OF YOUR MOTHERBOARD MANUAL

Easto
12-01-01, 04:21 PM
Oh yeah. You'll get a faster response to questions like these if you post to the Hardware and Overclocking forum.

And your 3rd post. Welcome to Speedguide!

caveman
12-03-01, 03:00 PM
Cheerz easto or should I say oatse??;)

Wasn`t sure where to stick it hence it landed here,

Sorry:rolleyes:

caveman
12-03-01, 03:01 PM
Oh bollox got it wrong but no doubt you know what I mean?!?!?!?!:D :D :D