PDA

View Full Version : AC Adapter question what kind I need?

Ghosthunter
11-13-01, 07:37 AM
My ac adapter blew on my speakers..

How do I know what type I need to replace it?

This is probably a stupid question, but I want to make sure I dont get the wrong adapter and blow out my speakers, I am not sure if that is possible..

Here is what the ac adapter specs are:

9 VOLT AC Adapter

Input: 117 volts 50/60Hz 10 W

I have a few other adapters I might be able to use that are all 9 volts, but I noticed the inputs are different. Does input matter? If I use Input that is different than the one I have will it damage the device? Or as long as it is 9 volts it doesnt matter?

Thanks

poptom
11-13-01, 10:03 AM
Input must be at least 10 Watts. Actually, if it burned out, you may want to use a larger value. Output must match the old one and will be either AC or DC. Be sure it's the same.

Ghosthunter
11-13-01, 10:32 AM
Acutally I thought it burned out, because there was a small rip, and thought that caused it, but I spoke to my wife and found out the wire got caught in the vacuum cleaner, and that probably did it..

Here is another one I have can I use this one:

Input: 120 VAC 60 Hz 0.15A

output: 9V DC 600 mA

This one dont list the watts in the input so how do I know for sure?

Thanks again.

poptom
11-13-01, 10:54 AM
That's 18 W which is fine but you can't use it if the old one has AC output. It would be best to have someone repair the cord if that's the only problem. However, if the wires were shorted the transformer may have burned out. If in doubt, take it down to Radio Shack and get a similar one. Should be less than $15.

Ghosthunter
11-13-01, 10:58 AM
Oh I shouldve seen that...

I didnt realize it said output was DC...so If I find one with the same output, but input is not as important?

I will go to radio shack at lunch...I just dont trust those guys at radio shack, they have given me bad advice before on buying stuff, and seem to not really care and just rush me.

Thanks

m4a2t0t
11-13-01, 11:07 AM
just make sure the input is 120VAC 60 HZ and the output is 9VDC

poptom
11-13-01, 11:22 AM
Wait wait wait wait........ If the old one is AC, you want AC. If it's DC, you want DC. It depends on whether the rectifier is in the transformer or the device.

m4a2t0t
11-13-01, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by poptom
Wait wait wait wait........ If the old one is AC, you want AC. If it's DC, you want DC. It depends on whether the rectifier is in the transformer or the device.

woops,i thought it said 9 volts DC out.

Ghosthunter
11-13-01, 11:42 AM
It never acutally says the output only the input.

It says the following:

Unisonic Model 630 9 VOLT AC ADAPTOR

for unisonic video games and calculators using 9 volt or C Cell batteries

Input: 117 Volts 50/60 Hz 10 W

That is all it says on it..a friend of mine gave me these speakers a while back with the power..

Now I found it on a web page with the exact model number, here is what it says:

NEW!
9 VDC @ 200 mA

Mfg. - UNISONIC
Mfg. # 630
2-1/2" x 2" x 1-5/8"
Input: 117 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 10 watt
Output: 9 VDC @ 200 mA
The enclosure and 6 ft. cord are black. The 3/32" plug is center negative for polarity.

I am confused now is it really DC or AC?

Thanks

64bit
11-13-01, 12:08 PM
What does it say on the jack of the speakers. That will tell you

m4a2t0t
11-13-01, 12:10 PM
OUTPUT=9V DC @ 200mA

poptom
11-13-01, 12:25 PM
OK. You can use the other one you have as long as the connector and polarity is the same.

Ghosthunter
11-19-01, 07:50 PM
poptom,

I finally got my ac adapter, but at first I used the wrong polarity, by mistake I realized because it woulnt work when I hit my power button. So I switched the polarity (these adapters had a way you can switch it) to positive, and now it works. My question is, did I damage my speakers? Or if I really damaged them would they not even work now? Or is it like static electricity that over time it can burn out?

I know silly question but I am kind of curious, if they damaged no big deal excuse to buy some new ones.

poptom
11-19-01, 08:29 PM
Naw. You're OK with that.

Sid
11-19-01, 08:32 PM
No you did not damage them. Speakers will will work in both directions of polarity The power supply needs to be correct. If they work then no damage done. Try this some time... Change the speaker wiring on your home system(reverse the polarity) You will find it does not sound as good but will not damage the speakers in any way.

poptom
11-19-01, 09:30 PM
He's referring to PS polarity.