PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with this?

Mage15
11-12-01, 08:28 PM
OK, first heres my comp specs:

P3 450MHz
128M RAM
2 HDs, 1GB & 30GB
Internal 12x/10x/32x CD-RW (HP)
Iomega Zip 100

The problem I'm having is very strange. When I got this system, the CDROM drive included was a 40x drive (I recently replaced it with the HP CDRW), which experienced very erratic behavior (sometimes the drive wasn't detect at startup, sometimes it was but wouldn't read even storebrought CDs, ...) so I had it replaced three times with the same result. I had concluded for a while that the drive was defective since 3 drives of exactly the same type/manufacturer exhibited the same behavior.

Now, just recently I replaced it with an HP 9900i CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive. And the behavior is completely different.

When I first power on the system, the drive is detected and is usable. However, I notice that the drive bay (including the CDRW, Zip, and floppy/hard drives) get EXTREMELY hot (you can barely remove a floppy or CD without getting burned).

Now. If I reset the computer (either a warm or cold boot without turning off the power), the drive fails to be detected and will not function till I completely power down the system. When the drive is working, it's great. Burns CDs in 8mins, fast enough for me :)

Another strange thing about this: when the drive is functional, there is a large amount of interferance with my sound card/speakers. Strange because I never had this problem before.

When the drive fails to function, there is no speaker interference.

So, anyone have any ideas on what could be the problem? I'm hoping its not the drive, it's the 4th (!!!) one I've installed this past few months. The audio interference leads me to think maybe the IDE or audio connector, but I need some advice as this extreme overheating could cause severe damage..

Any advice would be appreciated

syncmaster
11-12-01, 10:49 PM
OS ?
Motherboard brand - model ?

Mage15
11-12-01, 11:12 PM
The motherboard is a SiS P2370a/v (i think that's right) and the OS is Win98se

syncmaster
11-12-01, 11:17 PM
Ok your board it is a litle tryki one .

If you still have problems , first thing to do is to disable the DMA in the BIOs , in the CD DVD IDE chain .

syncmaster
11-12-01, 11:19 PM
Also find the latest drivers about your Iomega Zip 100 .

I have see some serius problems , just because the drivers of the Iomega Zip 100 was old ones .

Mage15
11-12-01, 11:33 PM
yes, DMA has caused problems before (unable to access hard disks), I've had it disabled for a while now. I did get the latest Zip100 drivers, about 3 days ago. Could it possibly be a faulty IDE cable or connection?

BaLa
11-12-01, 11:57 PM
dunno about this
but just try a diff cable (they're cheap anyways)
if it fixes it, then voila..
if it doesn't you could bring it back
lol

syncmaster
11-13-01, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Mage15
yes, DMA has caused problems before (unable to access hard disks), I've had it disabled for a while now. I did get the latest Zip100 drivers, about 3 days ago. Could it possibly be a faulty IDE cable or connection?

BaLa have right , try it ,and we will see ...

YeOldeStonecat
11-13-01, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by syncmaster
Also find the latest drivers about your Iomega Zip 100 .

I have see some serius problems , just because the drivers of the Iomega Zip 100 was old ones .

I never use Iomega drivers....since Windows 95....the OS will treat a zip drive as a removable disk...with full functionality. 98, NT 4, ME, 2K...all work well without Iomega drivers clogging up your system and startup folder with junk.

Only time you need Iomega drivers is with an external...where you need to run guest.exe on bootup.