PDA

View Full Version : hard drives in a freezer

monkeyhead
11-11-01, 09:53 PM
has anyone heard of putting hard drives in a freezer to fix them?

and tapping on them?

smaier69
11-11-01, 09:59 PM
heh.... i got a good laugh out of it.

unless you are talking about a possible fix for something specific, the whole premise is akin to superstition. doing either of those things arbitrarily to "fix" a hdd is laughable (and i dont mean at you. just at the idea).

MagicMikey
11-11-01, 10:24 PM
Ya, it's like hitting your monitor really hard when something goes wrong then all of a sudden...it works!

Immortal
11-11-01, 10:34 PM
but I've heard tales of things like.. if u put yer credit card in yer fridge after u've maxed it out.. and then use it again.. it'll work!

hehe.. that was kidding..

but I never heard of such things...

poptom
11-11-01, 10:39 PM
I wonder if it would bring a dead floppy back to life. (Not hitting it, just cooling, or maybe heating).

NuclearHeadache
11-11-01, 11:45 PM
Talk to Norm about that. I believe he's done one of those and it worked

poptom
11-12-01, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by NuclearHeadache
Talk to Norm about that. I believe he's done one of those and it worked
Which? A floppy or HD?

Epyon
11-12-01, 01:17 AM
Well next time try to put it in the oven, hard drive..shake n' bake style. :D

hoov
11-12-01, 09:02 AM
It is true about both idea. The times I have heard about putting the HD in the freezer was after a hard drive failed. People have put it in the freezer for a time then was able to connect it again for a short time and would be able to get data off of it. These times that they have said it has worked were when the HD failure was due to heat.

Again I have never done these but have had a few instructors in the past that have used them.

YARDofSTUF
11-12-01, 03:12 PM
also u can fix an overheated cpu by putting it in the dishwasher for 5 mins :D

KANO
11-12-01, 03:49 PM
lol@ this thred.

blebs
11-12-01, 04:47 PM
A failing hard drive was put in the freezer over night so as to be able to attempt to get important files off of it before total failure. It worked, but not for long! Not all the files were recovered and the hard drive suffered a Permanent Fatal Error!

Norm
11-12-01, 09:14 PM
A couple of times I have had problems with old drives that hadn't been started up in a year or so, tapping them got them to start spinning. It worked, seemed to unstick something nearly seized and the disk would spin, but I wouldn't want to do it to a new drive, or a fairly new drive. (It was really a last resort)
BTW _ The old drive is still working too :)

I've heard the freezer idea can work, but I wouldn't try it, condensation could occur.

Zmoney
11-12-01, 10:03 PM
friend of mine, Smidley, he had a bad 20...stuck it in fridge for 2 hours.....that was 2 weeks ago and its still werkin great......i have a 10 gig that the motor blew er somethin....where the motor is it gets SUPER frekin hot...and it dont werk at all..o welll...sending it away soon

CAR-15
11-12-01, 10:53 PM
i've tried the freezer trick but with scratched music cd's and it actually fixed them '-'

smidley
11-12-01, 11:46 PM
Yeah I did the freezer thing on my drive (30gig) and I am running it as my primary now. so yeah, it worked for me... I guess I got lucky.