PDA

View Full Version : ATA-133, take it or leave it

BaLa
11-10-01, 01:10 PM
A Look at Maxtor's D740X, and ATA-133 Nov 08, 2001, 07:00 AM
Conclusion
By: Dan Mepham

In the last three years, we’ve progressed from the ATA-33 standard, to ATA-66, and now ATA-100. When ATA-33 (UDMA Mode 2) was introduced, there was little doubt that it would prove to be a performance-enhancing step. However when ATA-66, and most recently, ATA-100 arrived, many questioned their usefulness. With hard disks barely able to push the limits of ATA-33’s 33MB/s transfer capabilities, what was the use in moving to ATA-66 or 100? It would be like driving a Jalopy around a racetrack.

Naturally, when Maxtor offered us the chance to evaluate its latest 7,200 RPM hard drive, featuring the new ATA-133 interface, we jumped at the chance. The D740X is Maxtor’s first 7,200 RPM release since its acquisition of Quantum a few months ago, and we’re eager to discover just what, if anything, Quantum’s IDE expertise has been able to do for Maxtor’s IDE lineup.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1431.12/
it's about 6 full pages long..

the topic was borrowed from the last sentence in the conclusion..

<edit> damn, I quoted part of teh conclusion instead of intro DOH

drdoug99
11-10-01, 01:21 PM
Does the RPM of the drive have much to do with the data transfer? I noticed more SCSI drives go up to like 15,000 RPM's or more....why doens't IDE go up as high? 7200 is the highest I've seen for IDE....

YARDofSTUF
11-10-01, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by drdoug99
Does the RPM of the drive have much to do with the data transfer? I noticed more SCSI drives go up to like 15,000 RPM's or more....why doens't IDE go up as high? 7200 is the highest I've seen for IDE....

i remember seeing a WD that was 10k, but it was pulled off the market real quick, dunno much about why they dont go higher i assume its heat issues

rpm i believe helps the seek time and sustained transfer rate but i'm unsure, just a guess

BaLa
11-10-01, 01:37 PM
I think RPM helps improve, seek times and it might improve data transfer rates a bit..
dunno..
I have seen some 15k rpm SCSI drives, but really I dunno why the IDE Drives don't spin as fast..

poptom
11-10-01, 02:12 PM
It would be hard for me to get used to the thought of any piece of machinery running that fast all the time.

Gaming-Module
11-10-01, 03:16 PM
If it's standard on my next mobo purchase, then yes. I'll get myself an ATA-133 drive, if not then oh well.

Easto
11-10-01, 03:21 PM
We'll all be there. Its just a matter of time and money

syncmaster
11-10-01, 04:32 PM
Nop its not about money or time .
We have all ready the RAID setups , the point is if you really need it or not .

I do not believe that for opening windows aplications , we need that speed .

YARDofSTUF
11-10-01, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by syncmaster
Nop its not about money or time .
We have all ready the RAID setups , the point is if you really need it or not .

I do not believe that for opening windows aplications , we need that speed .

lol MY WINDOWS LOADS IN 3 seconds.. but my games run dead slow... lmao

Thor Walez
11-10-01, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by BaLa
I think RPM helps improve, seek times and it might improve data transfer rates a bit..
dunno..
I have seen some 15k rpm SCSI drives, but really I dunno why the IDE Drives don't spin as fast..

That´s the point: then only a few ppl would then buy a SCSI ... and not the cheaper/faster 15krpm and 8mb cache IDE drives!

-Thor ;)

syncmaster
11-10-01, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by YARDofSTUF

lol MY WINDOWS LOADS IN 3 seconds.. but my games run dead slow... lmao

With GAMES like 700 Megs , what you expect ?? hahahaha

Brent
11-10-01, 06:44 PM
Nothing is holding back IDE manufacturers from making drives with greater then 7,000 rpm, except greed....

the whole point to IDE was price, keep the price down as much as possible, the more drives they can make for cheaper, the more they sell, to increase rotational speed increases price, something they are trying to get down on ide drives.... that's it in a nutshell

increasing the rotational speed to say 10,000 rpm will give it a higher sustained rate and slightly faster access times.....

onetrueday
11-10-01, 07:51 PM
Whose greed though... the consumer or the company. I would lean more towards blaming the consumer on this issue.

syncmaster
11-10-01, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by onetrueday
Whose greed though... the consumer or the company. I would lean more towards blaming the consumer on this issue.

I do that all ready , for the Geforce 3 , for the DDR memorys, for XP windows , for the AMD madnes , and some more .

MartialArtist12
11-10-01, 11:00 PM
There is this one HD that boots Windows in like a second. It's not a SCSI interface though, something more advanced. Costs as much as a Lamborghini though. There are people who have servers with 15-way SCSI RAID which is much faster than the normal (0+1).

BaLa
11-10-01, 11:26 PM
I can't wait for Solid State harddrives to become mainstream..(do they even make em yet?)

think about it...
by that time it should be 200+ gigs
SOLID STATE :eek: ....
that would be hella fast but I guess by then it wont be special..
cause you're gonna have like a 500x CD-ROM (lmao)
30+ gig Procs
400+ gigs HD Space
3 gigs o' ram or more...
damn can't wait..

I hope I'm still alive to see something like that..

syncmaster
11-10-01, 11:37 PM
Its the first time in the forums that i can not reply ,with a logical explanation ..
BUMP!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MagicMikey
11-11-01, 12:12 AM
...and a 320mm fan running at 700,640 RPM making a 5.2dba sound level...... yes, that'll be the day..... ;)

BaLa
11-11-01, 12:15 AM
haha
you forget, that if you were using solid state hard drives, it there would be a lot less heat..

MagicMikey
11-11-01, 12:17 AM
I like the idea about going under sub zero temperatures.... ;)

drdoug99
11-11-01, 02:15 AM
Solid state drives have been out for a while... www.geek.com their Insane System uses Quantum drives....3.2GB, like $30,000 dollars each...

here we go,
12 Quantum Rushmore Ultra 5320 3.2Gig solid state drives ($28,000 ea.) $336,000.00!!!!

http://www.geek.com/htbc/glanin.htm

I looked up those QUantum drives in Google, but couldn't find any online retailers....:(

Brent
11-11-01, 02:33 AM
Of course there are solid state drives, they have been using them on the Space Shuttle for YEARS

hella expensive retail though

but you can buy Solid State or "Ram Drives"

large business's that need the speed can get em if you can afford em, that's the hard part, but they are out there a plenty, just cost you an arm and a house lol

here ya go: Solid State IDE or SCSI drives, http://www.memtech.com/ those are a bit old, but it shows you they have been around a while

just go to google or your favorite search engine and type in solid state drives