PDA

View Full Version : Sound Card Help PLEASE!

NotFastEnough
11-09-01, 07:53 PM
I am running Win XP Professional on a 1Ghz with 512MB of RAM.
My sound card is a Creative Labs Soundblaster PCI 128.

This is the problem... it is NOISY. For example, when I watch a Flash movie every time an image "pops" onto the screen it makes a sqeaking, crackling, clicking noise. If I am playing an MP3 and try to open a window or minimize a window I get the same noise.

I figured this was a driver problem, and I downloaded and installed the new drivers yesterday... the didnt help at all!

Any ideas? I am STUMPED!

:cry:

NuclearHeadache
11-09-01, 08:04 PM
The Microsoft Windows XP update site has an update for Soundblaster cards. It has something to do with that crackling issue.

syncmaster
11-09-01, 08:10 PM
Ok you are lucky , because i had the same story with diferent software and hardware, but the reasons is the same .

The drivers is suck big time , they mess up the direct sound module of DX8 .

Temporeraly solution .
Disable all the system sounds , clicks clacks , what ever .

I am sure that if you use ICQ , you have also problems , if a message pop up , when you listen a MP3 .

Any way , there is not an offisial fix ,for many problems with XP , so do this work around .

Playing with hardware acceleration in system settings , you will not get anything from that , as gain .

NotFastEnough
11-09-01, 08:11 PM
This is the driver I am using... the XP site wouldnt let me d/l it, so I got it right from Creative Labs.

Gotta be the same driver, Windows XP Update says Im caught up now...

I still have the same problem :confused:

NotFastEnough
11-09-01, 08:12 PM
I guess Im going to have to disable systems sounds... this sucks!

:(

syncmaster
11-09-01, 09:48 PM
Format the Damn XP !!!!

Go to win2k ,and save your self from troubles like this . ;)

fartface
11-09-01, 09:51 PM
crackling noises? sounds like maybe your speakers are the problem.

MagicMikey
11-09-01, 09:52 PM
You might have a lot more luck in the Software forum, all they do there is talk about XP problems!! good luck!

YARDofSTUF
11-09-01, 09:52 PM
lower teh volume on ur speakers, and rais ethe volume in XP also if u have a mic turn it off

YARDofSTUF
11-09-01, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by MagicMikey
You might have a lot more luck in the Software forum, all they do there is talk about XP problems!! good luck!

lmao

terrancelam
11-09-01, 10:32 PM
the PCI 128 and I'd have to say it's the driver problem. Did you use the default drivers for the card or the one off the website?

NotFastEnough
11-10-01, 07:43 PM
I've used both drivers... same problem :(

terrancelam
11-10-01, 08:09 PM
Have you tried different Speakers?

syncmaster
11-10-01, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by NotFastEnough
I've used both drivers... same problem :(

You have all ready got your awnser .

Another choice is trash the damn card , its cheapo , so you will not have any worrys.

And get a better one , with XP support .

NotFastEnough
11-10-01, 10:31 PM
Haven't tried different speaker, fairly sure they are ok though.

Ill probably buy a different sound card and hope for the best.

syncmaster
11-10-01, 10:34 PM
Now you are talking !!

YAMAHA - PHILIPS - TERATEC ;)

The choice is yours ..

YARDofSTUF
11-10-01, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
lower teh volume on ur speakers, and rais ethe volume in XP also if u have a mic turn it off

did u try this yet?

NotFastEnough
11-10-01, 11:07 PM
Yes I tried that as well

NotFastEnough
11-10-01, 11:08 PM
What sound cards are people having good luck with running XP?

Maybe Ill pick one up tomorrow, this is getting annoying...

terrancelam
11-10-01, 11:53 PM
Before you trash the card, one last thing, have you tried it in a friends box to see if it has that problem?

NotFastEnough
11-10-01, 11:59 PM
I was gonna try that tomorrow on a friends machine, he is running XP as well... then on to the Depot for a new card...

terrancelam
11-11-01, 12:34 AM
results tomorrow, there are a few other factors, like maybe your card's jacks are damaged, which would explain the sounds, or the speakers plugs are damaged, that would explain the horrible noises.
But AHHHH One more thing, you should check to see if you are experiencing a IRQ conflict. And if you have a kinda delayed boot up from when the desktop first appears, please tell me.

NotFastEnough
11-11-01, 10:48 AM
Well, I let MSN Messenger and Fix-It Utilities start up, I think that is the only delay I see when my desktop comes up... but there IS a delay.

More info on the testing later...

terrancelam
11-11-01, 02:07 PM
your friend XP comp to start up, it's a conflict of some sort, I know that much. Can't tell you anything mroe specific unless you give more information! Do you know how to check your IRQs?

I know my friend was having a problem with his SB Live!Value, but it was fixed with getting the latest drivers.

One other thing to consider, if you already haven't tried this,
move the Soundcard into other PCI slots.