PDA

View Full Version : Win XP and ATI Radeon 64 DDR

monkeyhead
11-09-01, 02:44 PM
has anyone had a problem with this.

I am gettin BSOD's something i didnt expect from XP

Usually i get them from doing anything using the video card, not intensly but just using it
the card isnt OC'd.

terrancelam
11-09-01, 04:58 PM
driver are you using?

monkeyhead
11-09-01, 06:53 PM
latest from ati

terrancelam
11-09-01, 09:49 PM
I know this should be a big issue, but have you installed the Via 4in1s?

What wattage is your powersupply? Are you ocing the cpu? Is this a fresh install or a frankenstien?

monkeyhead
11-09-01, 09:56 PM
no havent installed VIA 4 in 1's, thought that was only a amd thing..... if so where would i get em, nothing is OC'd

its win xp pro corp edition.....

terrancelam
11-09-01, 09:59 PM
Not AMD. If you have a Via based chipset, then it would be good if you got it. What mother board do you have and is it via based?

What wattage is your PSU?

And XP Pro Corp edition eh? hehe *cough*warez*cough*

MagicMikey
11-10-01, 12:55 AM
Again, if you have a problem and you're using Windows XP, no matter how much hardware is involved, you'll get better luck in the Software forum, they're hooligans in there!! ;)

onetrueday
11-10-01, 03:29 AM
Hi!! I'm a hooligan and I'm right here in the hardware forum. Plus, I'm running winxp pro with an ati radeon64ddr; so I'm here to help!!

I havent had ANY problems running anything in xp with my radeon. In fact, I havent seen games, 2d, and movies look this good. I think the mistake you're making is using anything but the default XP drivers. Those drivers that install with xp are amazing. Plus, after you grab the 3meg update from microsoft, tvout is enbled. I would do a rollback on your drivers and see how it looks then. If you continue to have problems, I would assume it's either a ram, power, or other hardware related issue.

monkeyhead
11-10-01, 10:05 AM
no no, my games look great DVD's look great.
Its just that every once in a while i get a blue screen o death.

it stays up for about 5 seconds

the only thing i catch is at the bottom

xxx has caused problem with atidrv.drg

something like that, if it happens again i'll try to get exactly what it says

onetrueday
11-10-01, 07:00 PM
Yes, post exactly what it says and I'll help you track down the problem.

monkeyhead
11-11-01, 12:11 PM
ok so now i have a problem, i intsall the 4 in 1's and now i cant get into windows when the two HD's that are RAIDed are attached

terrancelam
11-11-01, 01:44 PM
well you do have a via based chipset..did you try and enable DMA?

monkeyhead
11-11-01, 01:51 PM
yes, i do have via chipset... i did try to enable DMA

what happens when i try to boot with them in.... xp gets up its loading screen then that stops, pretends like it goes to windows, but doesnt, and the hard drives sit there making weird noises

terrancelam
11-11-01, 04:00 PM
you've step into unknown territory. I know jack about RAID.

Only possible solution I can think of is trying to disable the DMA from the BIOS, that seems to be the only answer I can come up with at the moment.

monkeyhead
11-11-01, 04:08 PM
geeez, ok i'll try that

monkeyhead
11-11-01, 04:20 PM
cant disable DMA in bios for RAID