PDA

View Full Version : Installing Rdram

carl
11-08-01, 08:30 PM
HELLO, I GOT AN ASUS P4T MOTHERBOARD,WITH A PENTIUM 4 1.4 IT CAME WITH 2- 64MB NON ECC PC800 RAM. I JUST GOT 2-128MB NON ECC PC800. IT DOESN'T WORK. CAN ANYONE HELP. IT SAYS IN THE MANUAL CHANNEL A AND B MUST BE IDENTICAL. THAT IS NOT WHAT I WAS TOLD WHEN I HAD IT MADE. THEY SAID THAT THEY MUST BE PUT IN PAIRS. THAT THE SIZE DIDN'T MATTER, BUT THEY HAD TO BE THE SAME. PLEASE HELP. THANKS CARL

BaLa
11-08-01, 10:02 PM
lose caps f00
get's annoying to read..

and from what I heard they DO have to be pairs

*just like the old days..remember good ol' EDO??*

not sure though
wait for Q or YeOldeStonecat to answer this one..

m4a2t0t
11-08-01, 10:10 PM
not sure if they havta be identical but u do havta fill 2 slots at a time

monkeyhead
11-09-01, 08:52 AM
They do have to be identical.

Slot 0 and 1 must be the same exact sticks

Slot 2 and 3 must also be the same.

carl
11-09-01, 07:10 PM
thanks everyone for the help. i was just wondering if you had 64mb's in slot 1, if slot 2 had to be the same or if you could put 2
128's. but i thought today about it. and i took the 2- 64's out and replaced them with the 128's with the c- rimms. same thing wouldn't even boot up. so i guess the ram is bad. but i want to thank you guys for the help. you guys are great as always. carl

carl
11-16-01, 09:16 PM
hello, i'm lost again and need help. i returned the ram. they said it worked fine. does anyone have an asus p4t mb with the 850 chipset. why won't it boot up when i install the new ram. i'm putting them in the right slots. it just clicks away. please help

m4a2t0t
11-16-01, 11:33 PM
how many sticks are u trying to put in there?
are the c-rimms still there,they havta be there.
did u try to put the 64's and the 128's together?

recommended config if u only have 2 ram modules
c-rimm-b2 rimm
rdram-b1 rimm
c-rimm-a2-rimm
rdram-a1 rimm
^^^it should look like this when installed^^^
OR
rdram
c-rimm
rdram
c-rimm

rdram
rdram
rdram
rdram

terrancelam
11-16-01, 11:36 PM
I'm not an expert on this topic, never used RD-ram, but from what I heard,
You have to space the RD-ram in such a fashion,

Rdram
spacer
Rdram
spacer

On the Intel-board, they work differently apparently
Rd-ram
Rd-ram
spacer
spacer

m4a2t0t
11-16-01, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by terrancelam

On the Intel-board, they work differently apparently
Rd-ram
Rd-ram
spacer
spacer

thats how mine are set up

carl
11-17-01, 04:58 AM
i have the manual and it shows how they should be put in. i tried everything. even just using the 128's in the same place as the 64's with the c-rimms. still nothing. the only thing in the bios that even mentions anything simular. there is os/2 onboard memory>64m disabled. it says when installingdram greater than 64mb you need to set this option to enable. do you think this was the problem.because the 64's work great.

YARDofSTUF
11-17-01, 06:17 AM
ummmm try it and see.

master7
11-17-01, 09:11 AM
I didn't read any of the replies - so if this has been said already, sorry.

Ok, first off. You can only upgrade RDRAM in pairs I believe. (Ewww, bad flashback of SIMM days)

2nd, dump your P4 and get a Athlon XP

YARDofSTUF
11-17-01, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by carl
do you think this was the problem.because the 64's work great.

yes change it to what the manual said.

Forgetful
11-17-01, 10:17 AM
This should be disabled, it is only used when using the operating system OS2 to allow it to use more thn 64MB of ram.

Gaming-Module
11-17-01, 11:03 AM
2nd, dump your P4 and get a Athlon XP

We are really beyond these sort of childish suggestions, arent we?

What are you going to do next, harken back to the 3Dfx days of yore?

-------------------------------------------------------

http://www.sourcemagazine.com/csm/Forum3/HTML/000019-3.html

This article should help.

master7
11-17-01, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Macho-Module
[B]

We are really beyond these sort of childish suggestions, arent we?

What are you going to do next, harken back to the 3Dfx days of yore?

Well I'm sorry if I sounded childish, that was not my intention. I was just joking around and giving my OPINION.

For your 2nd part, my OPINION is that 3DFX sucks. I have a Voodoo5 on my older computer, and used to have a Voodoo2 banshee, and their not good. I am now an NVidia follower.

Gaming-Module
11-17-01, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by master7

Well I'm sorry if I sounded childish, that was not my intention. I was just joking around and giving my OPINION.

For your 2nd part, my OPINION is that 3DFX sucks. I have a Voodoo5 on my older computer, and used to have a Voodoo2 banshee, and their not good. I am now an NVidia follower.

Well, I'm just tired of people saying that tired, "Intel suxors, AMD roxors!" line.

Most people in the hardware community for more than a year know that both platforms have their respective merits, and you are doing a disservice to the newbies by perpetuating such comments.

Plus, you dont wanna hurt the feelings of us Intel users, now do you? :D

terrancelam
11-17-01, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by master7

Your entitled to an opinion, but don't crap on other peoples thread. This is the hardware forum, you got an opinion, there is a general forum. Go and post there. Unless you can help this fellow with his problem, go away.