PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new video card.. damn it!

EvilAjax
11-08-01, 02:01 PM
I don't care what the price is, but I'm just sick and tired of my machine crashing because of my stupid onboard video.

Anyway, I'm going to get the GeForce MX400 PCI... I have 3 PCI slots.. I have my NIC on the third (bottom).. I switched it from the 2nd one because it was having IRQ problems with the sound card (and it's not even on the 2nd ****ing slot!) My first slot is empty.. BUT... there's a 56K crap there... blocking the passage for the PCI... should I unscrew the 56K crap somehow? I don't know... this crap is weird.. I can't put it on my 2nd slot because of IRQ problems.. and I can't put it on my first one unless I move the 56K thing out of there (which I don't know how to do without ****ing up my ****) and dont even think about slot 3... that's for my internet :D

Anyway, is it easy removing the 56K thing?

Please, I'm being serious.. don't crap in my thread.

This belongs here in the Discussion board because I am discussing on how to do things and I want your advice ;)

EvilAjax
11-08-01, 02:04 PM
By the way, I have no AGP slots... so don't say "Why are you getting a crappy PCI?" ;)

Thanks in advance.

HalfLifer
11-08-01, 02:04 PM
Are you familiar with removing PCI Slot cards? IF so, just take the 56ghey out.

EvilAjax
11-08-01, 02:06 PM
Yes, but it's not occupying the 56ghey. It's in the way... I don't want to yank it out.. LOL...

It seems to be screwed in to the board or something.. LOL

YARDofSTUF
11-08-01, 02:08 PM
Damn ajax u got the coolest edit from the admin lol

ya teh 56k is on a pcislot right , just unscrew it and pull it out, if not they pls give a bit more detail.

YARDofSTUF
11-08-01, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by EvilAjax
Yes, but it's not occupying the 56ghey. It's in the way... I don't want to yank it out.. LOL...

It seems to be screwed in to the board or something.. LOL
all pci cards are screwed in lol i dont think i'm understanding u right

aagiants
11-08-01, 02:12 PM
sound like u had same prob as me... Modem is PCI. Just yank it out if u dont need it and switch.. Fix that IRQ prob too,..

EvilAjax
11-08-01, 02:14 PM
Yeah, it had it's own PCI slot, LMAO.

A little black thing with pins sticking out... I just yanked the sucker out. Booted up fine ;)

(I'm crazy though.. I only shut down the computer. I left the power cord connected and the POWER button on while doing this)

Ok, thanks guys. I'm off to buy a new video card now.. Hopefully, it will be compatible with Windows XP. :D

BaLa
11-08-01, 02:15 PM
sounds like a
AMR modem
or
a mobo with onboard modem in which case it would be a slot with the plugs in it and a cable goes to the mobo

EvilAjax
11-08-01, 03:57 PM
Ok, I'm back.

Just got a 64MB - 200MHz Processor Speed - 256-bit GPU nVIDIA GeFORCE 2 MX|400 Xtasy 5564 2D/3D Accelerator PCI for $99.99 plus tax $108.24

Did I get ripped off or what? Anyway, how do I go about installing this on a machine which already has onboard video? Don't tell me I have to yank out the onboard too? That, I will not do. Do I just install this, and it will become the default Video/Graphics card? Or do I just read the instructions? :D

BaLa
11-08-01, 04:39 PM
there are either some jumpers on the mobo, or you can disable onboard vid via bios
and the card should go into the first PCI slot

Brent
11-08-01, 05:01 PM
don't forget to install the Detonator 4's www.nvidia.com version 21.83 is the latest right now....

EvilAjax
11-08-01, 05:20 PM
Ok, I checked my BIOS, and there was no setting to Disable Onboard Video... there was a setting which said Onboard FDC... it was enabled.. Don't know what that is.

Anyway, this is what I did (before what I said above). I uninstalled my current Video card via Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Display Adapter

When it asked for me to reboot, I clicked Yes. When my BIOS start up screen came up, I turned off my computer. Unplugged my PSU, unplugged my monitor. Opened my case, and inserted the video card into the top PCI slot (take note that I had to insert it upside down because that's the only way it goes in so that the place where you insert the plug faces out). I then plugged the monitors plug into the new video card thingie, then plugged the PSU back in. Turned on my computer... it booted up fine... but my monitor didn't turn on. So I switched slots... still, didn't turn on. So I plugged the monitor back into my old video card. That's how I'm here. I've checked my BIOS, and it was already set to PCI (Primary Video Adapter). The other option is has is Onboard AGP.. what my current video card is.. an onboard AGP... I don't know how my current video card was functioning meanwhile it was set to that. Anyhow.. why isn't this working? What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

EvilAjax
11-08-01, 05:41 PM
Bump.

YARDofSTUF
11-08-01, 05:54 PM
me not know foofa!

EvilAjax
11-08-01, 06:01 PM
me neither f00f :(

EvilAjax
11-08-01, 06:42 PM
Come on you Hardware f00fs!

Brent
11-08-01, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by EvilAjax
Come on you Hardware f00fs!

on teh icq ;)

EvilAjax
11-08-01, 10:43 PM
My motherboard is made by Pc chips, it's the M754LMR

Please help me! :(

I need to disable my onboard somehow... because while its in... my computer isn't booting up :(

drdoug99
11-09-01, 12:01 AM
is there any jumpers you have to change, to disable your onboard video? what happens when you plug your monitor into your new video card? it's just blank?

did you read the instructions?:D

drdoug99
11-09-01, 12:09 AM
http://www.pcchips.com.tw/M754LMR.html

heres a link to your motherboard, if you wanted to know...i'm DL'ing the manual now, see if i can help

EvilAjax
11-09-01, 12:23 AM
on teh AIM :)

Brent
11-09-01, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by drdoug99
http://www.pcchips.com.tw/M754LMR.html

heres a link to your motherboard, if you wanted to know...i'm DL'ing the manual now, see if i can help

been there done that ;)

did this with him today, no jumper settings for the on board video

looks like no bios settings either to disable it

in fact so far i've found no way to disable it, maybe you can't, heh

YARDofSTUF
11-09-01, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by Brent

been there done that ;)

did this with him today, no jumper settings for the on board video

looks like no bios settings either to disable it

in fact so far i've found no way to disable it, maybe you can't, heh

i had to disable mine in windows on my HP but i dunno how to get it back if the pci dont work.