PDA

View Full Version : Wow, disaster averted - kinda

Dunster
11-08-01, 10:09 AM
I was putting a new 128 meg stick of RAM in a computer here at work. Powered up and got that smell we all know - fried electronics. I then took out the new stick and tried to power up with just the old stick. No go. I then find out that I fried the Power Supply! So, I put in a new power supply, new stick of RAM (in a different slot because the one I used was MELTED!) and pray it boots up. The whole time I am crossing my fingers that the motherboard is still good. Well, lucky me, I ended up "only" frying the power supply and one DIMM, but not the motherboard.
Boy, I got skills!!!:D

Ghosthunter
11-08-01, 11:44 AM
gald to hear your PC is ok but just curious how did you fry it?

Crump
11-08-01, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by davy19
gald to hear your PC is ok but just curious how did you fry it?

no kidding how did you fry the ram slot?

i think it was luck you did not fry anything else.

Dunster
11-08-01, 12:18 PM
Well, it wasn't my computer, it was another person's here at work.

I would assume that the RAM just wasn't seated propery. I swear I checked it, and it was locked into place. If you do not get your RAM seated properly, you can get a cross between two of the pins on the chip. OR, it may have something to do with the computer being about 4 years old (P350, OCed to 400, and other various hacked together parts) and it might have had a bad DIMM in the first place.

Anyway, it is fairly uncommon to fry a power supply doing this (and saving the motherboard).

Dunster
11-08-01, 12:24 PM
Oh, I forgot to add that the RAM was from CompUSA (PNY brand). That may have contributed to the problem. I wanted to get Crucial RAM, but management said we have an account with CompUSA and need to use them.:(

By the way, I put 17 other sticks of the stuff in other computers without a problem. The 18 and final stick was the one that fried!

YARDofSTUF
11-08-01, 01:09 PM
i have a stick of compusa PNY ram, its actually not bad 128megs PC133 cas 2, but thats really odd, maybe there was a piece of somtething that got in the dimm or somethign i dunno lol

NuclearHeadache
11-08-01, 04:00 PM
The problems will arise :D