PDA

View Full Version : CPU update

300mphpc
11-07-01, 09:45 PM
I have a 3 year old Gateway GS350 with a Intel PII processor and want to upgrade to at least 850 MHZ. My question is my PII is a slot 1,will a AMD slot A work in place of the Intel or do I have to stick with an Intell PIII due to the current mobo. Also what about cooling. Should this be upgraded as well ? Do I need to change the chip set ? As you can tell I havn't had to do this before so I'm looking for some suggestions.

Thanks

drdoug99
11-07-01, 10:29 PM
AMD wont work, as your Intel board is a totally different beast.

You have to stick with Intel.

Look up your computer on Gateways website, they should tell you what's the fastest processor you can upgrade to.

Cooling should be upgraded, to whatever is good for your processor you get, we can help you with that too....I dont know Intel, so I really dont know.

BaLa
11-07-01, 11:15 PM
if you don't plan on O/C
get a boxed proc

terrancelam
11-08-01, 12:49 AM
A stock fan should be fine if your not ocing and depending on the motherboard, you can get a slotket converter and a PIII or Celeron II in there. I personally say go with a CeleronII as it will be a lot cheap and I don't think you'll be needing the extra performance for just gaming, websurfing, word and chatting.

300mphpc
11-08-01, 11:21 AM
Thanks to all. That answers my questions.
Have a good one !:D

BaLa
11-08-01, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by 300mphpc
Thanks to all. That answers my questions.
Have a good one !:D
not sure if you know this, but be sure look @ Gateways site to find out how high you can upgrade the proccessor and find out what the jumper settings are if there are any..

YARDofSTUF
11-08-01, 01:29 PM
with that motherboard u will only be able to upgrade to a faster P2 i believe

syncmaster
11-08-01, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
with that motherboard u will only be able to upgrade to a faster P2 i believe

Most possible option is a PIII 500 slot1 , the question is were to find one ??
Spesialy today .....

300mphpc
11-08-01, 07:18 PM
I took a look at gateway's site and found the mobo in my unit.

Intel Integrated 440BX Slot 1 , according to their page the only step up would be a 400 PII w/100mhz fsb.

The jumper settings are there as well.
So from what you guys are telling me I just can't go out and purchase a PIII 850 slot 1 cpu and install it without changing the motherboard ?

That sucks !