PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive setup

Lalle
11-07-01, 04:58 PM
I'm running a Compaq Presario 1800T 466 Mhz Celeron with 320 MB of Ram. I'm going to upgrade my hard drive from 4.8GB to 20GB. I will remove the old one and replace it by the new one. Do I still need to do any jumper settings when I only have 1 hard drive?

Is there anything I need to do for my hard drive to be recognized? I've heard that most BIOS can only take 8 GB but that I can trick the BIOS. If I need that, how do I do it? Will Windows 2000 Pro do the job when I dived my hard drive into different partitions?

Please advise.

Thanks!

BaLa
11-07-01, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Lalle
I'm running a Compaq Presario 1800T 466 Mhz Celeron with 320 MB of Ram. I'm going to upgrade my hard drive from 4.8GB to 20GB. I will remove the old one and replace it by the new one. Do I still need to do any jumper settings when I only have 1 hard drive?
no should be recognized..fairly new compuuter..
make sure the new one is Master on Primary IDE...
although I would reccomend keeping the old HD as backup or something..

YeOldeStonecat
11-07-01, 05:18 PM
Match the jumper setting on the old HD...many of the Compaq's, if they came with only 1 HD on the IDE, come set as CS (Cable Select).

Check to make sure the BIOS sees all 20 gigs of your new HD....F-10 on bootup to enter BIOS.....not always the most aggresive BIOS on the Presarios.

NuclearHeadache
11-07-01, 05:40 PM
WHat brand of hard drive is the new one?