PDA

View Full Version : cooling fans

monkeyhead
11-07-01, 04:04 PM
anyone know if there is a maximum number of fans that can be connected to a power supply?

HongKongPolice
11-07-01, 04:07 PM
Depends on how many amps the fans use up. Your system uses A LOT of power, you should have AT LEAST a GOOD 350watt

MagicMikey
11-07-01, 04:49 PM
Ya, it would be extremely hard to figure this out...

I'm not sure if you want to know this out of pure curiosity or because you really need to know because you're modding your case so if you would be more specific with your question, I'm sure we can all help you find a good answer..... ;)

monkeyhead
11-07-01, 04:57 PM
well the inside of my case gets really hot when closed.
Only way to keep both processors from going over 100 deg farenheit is to open the side panel and have free air circulation.
So im looking to put like 4 fans on the side panel, 2 in 2 out.
and some on the inside blowing on the HD's

My system creates a lot of Hot Air...... 4 HD's.

I was looking to get the fans that have the connection like on a back of a hard drive.
I have a 300 watt power supply and its a full tower.
any more info just ask... thanks

BaLa
11-07-01, 05:00 PM
you got your HDs in 3_1/2" bays or 5_1/4?

for HD cooling check these out..
http://www.coolerguys.com/cpucool/hdcooler.shtml

monkeyhead
11-07-01, 05:04 PM
two in each

only problem is that might get a little expensive, but it looks like a lotta cash will have to be shelled out anyway.
Plus my girlfriends Bday is this month.... argh

Im thinking get two HD coolers for the 2 HDS in the 5 1/4 bays, and have some fans blowing on the other two or something similar

YARDofSTUF
11-07-01, 05:28 PM
just get some good exhaust going

MagicMikey
11-07-01, 06:49 PM
I think you should be able to get about 6-8 fans in there running at 12v without a problem....

You should think big and get 120mm fans. Put one in the front front of your case (bezel) blowing air in, two on the lower left side blowing in and a final fan on top blowing air out. Your power supply unit will also help exhaust the hot air near the top.

Putting four fans on the side of the case isn't an all that great idea ;)

You can also make your own hard drive coolers to save a little money.... ;)

Some of this stuff does get technical, I don't know if you're new at this but please ask questions if you don't understand anything! ;)

HongKongPolice
11-07-01, 07:42 PM
Dude, your CPUs aren't even getting CLOSE to being warm, why you so worried?? Itz not like you're overclocking either

monkeyhead
11-07-01, 07:50 PM
its not an processor temp issue

its that a lot of hot air builds up in there when i close the case

ive had the idle temps at 100 and 103

and half load at about 117 and 120

i just want to circulate cooler air, make my components last longer.

plus when i do decide to OC down the road, i will have sufficient cooling

poptom
11-07-01, 09:35 PM
You are not really running hot except maybe on the drives. Concentrate on rear exhaust. Mount the HD's with a space between them and just add some front vents there so the air just sucks across them. A pair of 7200 drives in adjacent bays can get too hot to hold your finger on.

monkeyhead
11-07-01, 09:38 PM
i understand i am not running super hot, id just rather it be cooler, and the reason i want fans is to cool down the HD's not my CPU's

poptom
11-07-01, 09:55 PM
OK. If your exhaust fan is blowing through those little perforations in the case, you can increase the front-to-rear airflow dramatically by cutting away the sheet metal to make a single opening. If there's a wire grille instead, forget what I just said.

monkeyhead
11-07-01, 10:01 PM
they are small holes, and it sucks.... guess i need a grill or to cut them out

poptom
11-07-01, 10:22 PM
I used a 3 1/2" hole saw on mine which has an 80mm fan, but the opening is big enough to accomodate a 92mm if I decide to go larger. Some sort of finger guard should be added. I simply used a piece of 1/2" hardware cloth because that's what I had on hand. Since I want my machine to be quiet, I'm using only the one fan in the rear with lots of openings in the front.