PDA

View Full Version : Another look at the nFORCE...MSI flavor...

YeOldeStonecat
11-07-01, 07:04 AM
Says Nov 15th arrival from MSI....guess it's another week and a half for me. I was waiting for the Asus version, but a few here talk about MSI being good...I'll give them a shot...plus I'm one for having some killer looks inside my rig...the MSI being red will look sweet.

Most benchmarks have the nFORCE matching and even beating the current chipset champ, the 266a, so I'm pretty excited. Check out this link...

http://www.amdworld.co.uk/msinforce.htm

I see some peeps asking which is the best chipset for the XP...they may want to wait a couple of weeks for some of these to appear...

syncmaster
11-07-01, 07:31 AM
MSI is using very good electronic parts ,in theyr boards , video and motherboards .

The price of them is high ,and this is one of the main reasons .

I wish you to get it soon ,what ever is your final choice :)

downhill
11-07-01, 08:05 AM
There is a couple of reviews floating around for that board. It looks to be promising but seems limited for overclockers. If I remember right, your stuck with whatever your clockspeed is for your processer.

Sidenote, Micron has announced it's making a highend puter from an nFORCE chipset. Good news for both AMD and nForce

Sync, the board is kinda high cost because it includes both video and a 5.1 sound chip. Looks to be a great deal if you look at it from an oem point of view.

YeOldeStonecat
11-07-01, 08:19 AM
The overclocking on the MSI board was limited to just FSB increases, as their BIOS didn't allow for multilier adjustments. It still overclocked though.

I think Synch was referring to the price of MSI boards compared to other brands.

MagicMikey
11-07-01, 09:45 AM
Heh, and in a month, something even better will be out! ;)

drdoug99
11-07-01, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by MagicMikey
Heh, and in a month, something even better will be out! ;)

no crap.....manufacters are increasing things at an exponential rate it seems. It's good and bad I guess, mostly good, but its bad since we have to keep track of all if it!:o

YARDofSTUF
11-07-01, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
The overclocking on the MSI board was limited to just FSB increases, as their BIOS didn't allow for multilier adjustments. It still overclocked though.

minir posted a review showing teh msi 266a board OCed to a higher fsb than teh nforce i think the nforce only hit 143 or so without the onboard video, about 147 with onboardvideo.
the problem occurs when u use a videocard instead of the onboard gf2mx, the reviewer thought the chipset was draining a bit of power from teh agp slot, and when overclocking the fab the agp card wasnt getting enough power at the higher speed.