PDA

View Full Version : memorybandwidth

KANO
11-06-01, 11:20 PM
damn ive been trying to get my memorybandwidth up from the low 600, ive tryed everything and it would not go past 600 on both scores. but i found the problem now it was the fact that i have alot of usb devices running off a hup. anyway i just remove the usb hub and was only left with my usb mouse running.

heres the score, from 600 what i used to get to this:

http://www.jamie47.fsnet.co.uk/newband2.jpg

now i can start playing with the bios :)

also anyone know if this pc2600 ram is out yet?

onetrueday
11-06-01, 11:40 PM
wow... usb usage slowed you down that much? That is crazy! I knew it used up cpu cycles, but never would have thought it was draining in more ways then that. How many devices did you have plugged in to devour that much bandwidth?

KANO
11-06-01, 11:54 PM
all usb devices= adsl modem, mouse, data lead, cardport, and a hub.

check my 2dmark 2001 score, with out the usb plugged in.

http://www.jamie47.fsnet.co.uk/3d2001-x.jpg

drdoug99
11-07-01, 12:01 AM
nice improvement Kano, glad you figured it out.

Does teh USB 2.0 fix that problem?

Easto
11-07-01, 12:46 AM
Jesus, with all these great specs I'm starting to feel like I'm getting left behind.

Glad to hear you found the problem. Never would have guessed you could get that kind of performance from just disabling your usb.

Good show

syncmaster
11-07-01, 05:02 AM
damn ive been trying to get my memorybandwidth up from the low 600

Just for general information , the memory bandwith called low , wen we see like 200 Megs per second .

From 400 and upper , its not slow at all .

Its good that you got the maxed performance of your system , never the less , the loss from your USB devices, does not really slow down your system .

In a fast system like yours , you have to stop worry about unsignifican details like that .

KANO
11-07-01, 08:02 AM
hi syncmaster, its not maxed yet, i still have alot of bios setting to play with. plus i would like 3dmark2001 @7000 today.

HongKongPolice
11-07-01, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by syncmaster

Just for general information , the memory bandwith called low , wen we see like 200 Megs per second .

From 400 and upper , its not slow at all .

Its good that you got the maxed performance of your system , never the less , the loss from your USB devices, does not really slow down your system .

In a fast system like yours , you have to stop worry about unsignifican details like that .

...memory bandwidth is one of the major bottlenecks of PCs today. look @ this:
http://www.hardocp.com/articles/amd/palvstb/index4.html

KG7 with DDR = more memory bandwidth = more FPS. MORE BANDWIDTH IS BETTER, and IS VERY IMPORTANT.

Edited by Ken

newbie1
11-07-01, 11:51 AM
:rotfl: you guys crack me up

KANO
11-07-01, 11:58 AM
TigerUpperCut, your 100% right about the memorybandwidth, fps was one of the major gains i noticed when i ran 3dmark-2001.

syncmaster might not speak english very well, but still noneed to attack him, hes a fellow SG,er.

YARDofSTUF
11-07-01, 12:28 PM
Canadian Tiger vs the Greece Machine uh oh! lol

i'm gonna stay out of that one but i do agree with tigers point on the bandwith.

and kano, very nice, all tweaked i can hit 675/704 on SDRAM so low 600s was not where u belonged :D

KANO
11-07-01, 01:38 PM
ill get the memory up some more later, ive got alot of new bios options, but need to find out what some do.

YARDofSTUF
11-07-01, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by KANO
ill get the memory up some more later, ive got alot of new bios options, but need to find out what some do.

just ask :)

MagicMikey
11-07-01, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by KANO

http://www.rojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz/BIOS_Guide/BIOS_Guide_Index.htm

;)

CBurcik
11-07-01, 07:37 PM
Great link....

thanks

syncmaster
11-07-01, 10:18 PM
Heh ,it looks that i lost the party .

Any way , nop i have right about evrything i have say so far , the bandwith is a secondary factor wen we speak about 3D frame rates .

The first player in the frame rates is the video cards speed, now if we compare one system with the latest video cards , its true that the faster in bandwith system will have some higher skors , but the diference is not that great .

At the bottom line, we are talking about how muts faster is a system with SDRAM VS one with DDR .
And i am saying again that , the diference its not like, night and day .