PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my CD-ROM and CD-Burner(WinXP)

ARS
11-06-01, 09:27 PM
Ok, I have WindowsXP Professional, ATAPI CDROM, and a HP CD-writer 9500 Series.

They were showing up just fine, until I loaded my software to burn CD with (came with the cd burner), and now they do not show up in My Computer. I go into the Device Manager and they both have exclamation marks beside them. When I try to update them, it say's it cannot. I unistalled them and reinstalled them, they just do not work.

The ATAPI CDROM does not read music cd's, nor regular cd's. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks and have a nice night,

Anthony

MagicMikey
11-06-01, 09:51 PM
Perhaps you should try some firmware updates...

downhill
11-06-01, 09:52 PM
More info...what software was it? Have you tried uninstalling the software and seeing what happens. Just a shot in the dark. You may need to also uninstall the cdrom and burner and reinstall.

MagicMikey
11-06-01, 09:56 PM
Do they show up in My Computer? I don't know exactly what that's called in XP but I'm sure you all know what I mean? ;)

drdoug99
11-06-01, 11:05 PM
are you using Nero version 5 or higher? it's a known problem, happened to me, and others.

Read here, hopefully that will help.
http://www.dblclan.net/BetaNet/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000691

ARS
11-07-01, 02:28 PM
Thanks for ALL the replies ya'll. I tried to reply with some answers in the morning, but my cable kept going off and I had to head out to a few classes.

Anyways,"are you using Nero version 5 or higher?"
-No, I am using (came with my cd-burner) MyHP 3.0, I think that is what it is called. Not sure. I had 2.5 ay first, but that also didn't work, so I ended up upgrading to 3.0, which also doesn't work.

"what software was it? Have you tried uninstalling the software and seeing what happens. Just a shot in the dark. You may need to also uninstall the cdrom and burner and reinstall."
-MyHP 3.0 and 2.5 were both tried. I have uninstalled and reinstalled countless of times. I also uninstalled both and reinstalled them. Nothing happened, not even an error, suprisingly.

"Perhaps you should try some firmware updates..."
-Give me some info on firmware pls.. I don't know much about it.

Thanks for all the replies and help,

Anthony

MagicMikey
11-07-01, 03:29 PM
I found this:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg40447.html

Windows XP-compatible CD recording software is needed to allow the drive to write to CD-R and CD-RW media.

Of course when you go to download the software, it isn't available since the Web site isn't up to date yet and still claims that Windows XP isn't out yet...

ARS
11-07-01, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by MagicMikey
I found this:

Of course when you go to download the software, it isn't available since the Web site isn't up to date yet and still claims that Windows XP isn't out yet...

Thanks for the info, but I've tore that site up looking for something that will help me. Thanks for the reply though.

Any help is appreciated

Anthony

ARS
11-07-01, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by MagicMikey
I found this:

Thanks for the info, but I've tore that site up looking for something that will help me. Thanks for the reply though.

Any help is appreciated,

Anthony

MagicMikey
11-07-01, 07:35 PM
Heh, you might want to try the Software forum as all the XP users hang out there and most of them know about all the little bugs and fixes XP comes with... ;)

Good luck!

downhill
11-07-01, 08:31 PM
Ok let me ask you, when you uninstall the software, do they show back up? Or no matter what you do, have they disappeared forever?

ARS
11-07-01, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by downhill
Ok let me ask you, when you uninstall the software, do they show back up? Or no matter what you do, have they disappeared forever?

I am not sure what you are asking, but I'll try to answer before I hit the hay:sleep:

Ok, I went into the Device Manager and uninstalled both that way, and then reinstalled them. Nothing Happened.
I did it again and when I tried to install the CDROM, it said it needed some files from the WinXP CD, but I cannot used my cdrom to read the files that it needs because it isn't loaded yet.
If anyone can send me "imapi.sys" off of there WinXP Professional CD would be much appreciated. (that is the file it asks for from WinXP CD)

But, I also checked inside the case and unplugged them and plugged them back in and yadda yadda yadda, nothing happened.

Ok, I am also getting that I need imapi.sys for my HP Burner also. Don't know why it is saying it now, but it is, maybe that's a good sign.:D

If someone could send me imapi.sys, I'd be happy! PM me if ya can.

Ah, hope this works
Thanks for all the help,

Anthony

(Will be up for anonther 30 minutes now)

drdoug99
11-07-01, 10:23 PM
I sent you that file ARS, from my Juno mail account, hopefully that helps you out.

ARS
11-07-01, 10:32 PM
Much Appreciated there Doug. It all loaded up fine, but I get this after I loaded up the CDROM:

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

Any idea what this means? I am taking it that the hardware(my cdrom) is not plugged in. I am looking at it now, and it is fine-and-dandy down there. Don't know what else to do, other than pull my hair out:rolleyes:

Thanks for the file though, all thought it loaded up fine, still get that ol' error:(

Prey521
11-08-01, 02:05 AM
Do you have the latest ASPI drivers? I had the same problem and after I installed the latest one, it fixed them. Let me know if you need it, I have ForceASPI :)

drdoug99
11-08-01, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by ARS
Much Appreciated there Doug. It all loaded up fine, but I get this after I loaded up the CDROM:

Any idea what this means? I am taking it that the hardware(my cdrom) is not plugged in. I am looking at it now, and it is fine-and-dandy down there. Don't know what else to do, other than pull my hair out:rolleyes:

Thanks for the file though, all thought it loaded up fine, still get that ol' error:(

grr....i got that same code 41 error....it's something to do with your registry...try restoring your registry to a older working version.....at least I think so...I can't find any info from the MS KB, or Google, about what Code 41 means.

ARS
11-08-01, 03:32 PM
I tried restoring the registry, no luck:(

Thanks for the idea thought Doug. I am off to go look for SOME kind of solution for this problem, and then I gotta go study for two BIG test's I got tomoraw:(

Thanks for all the help so far guys,

Anthony

ARS
11-08-01, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Prey521
Do you have the latest ASPI drivers? I had the same problem and after I installed the latest one, it fixed them. Let me know if you need it, I have ForceASPI :)

Yes Prey! I am willing to try anything right now. If you could send me the site to get them, or the drivers themselves, it would be greatly appreciated.

Anthony

downhill
11-08-01, 05:47 PM
Well I'm not Prey, but I can point a link to where to find forceaspi.

http://radified.com/ASPI/aspi.htm

ARS
11-08-01, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by downhill
Well I'm not Prey, but I can point a link to where to find forceaspi.

http://radified.com/ASPI/aspi.htm

Thanks DH. Off to go try this, hopefully it will work; give me sometime to study for my tests:rolleyes:

ARS
11-08-01, 06:26 PM
They are still not showing up:(

I just don't know where to turn to or what to look for now. I am totally clueless. I tried looking around for the past few days and nothing:mad:

Thanks for the link anyways DH.

Anthony

MagicMikey
11-08-01, 08:48 PM
Did you try your CD-ROM drive and CD-RW drive in a different computer running any operating system besides Windows XP? just to know that it isn't the drives themselves... it also might be your IDE cables or even a defected motherboard. The only thing I can recommend is degrading, some might say it's upgrading, to Windows 2000 or Windows 98 until Microsoft fixes these annoying bugs with XP, probably will be fixed with the release of SP1 for XP, some time early next year....hehehe, a long time to wait but that's new Microsoft products for you.... ;)