PDA

View Full Version : k7s5a motherboard bios flash

SkiLLtoN
11-06-01, 06:54 PM
as i said in my previous posts i wanna get a k7s5a mobo & a amd athlon xp 1500+ or 1600+
i found the mobo for a cheap price, but i asked around & ppl said i will probably need to update my bios for it to work with the new xp processor if its not a rev 3 mobo
since i dont have another amd processor that works with the k7s5a how could i upgrade the bios if i get it?

YARDofSTUF
11-06-01, 08:26 PM
if it were me i'd try putting teh XP cpu in and see if i can get to bios, dunno if it would cause damage though

MagicMikey
11-06-01, 08:43 PM
What you mean by "updating your BIOS", do you mean flash the BIOS to revision 3? I'm pretty sure that's what you mean cause I first I thought you meant chaing the BIOS chip on the mobo ;) Anyways, your motherboard manufacturer's Web site should have the files and guides needed to perform a BIOS flash. It's very easy, but I recommend reading the step-by-step guide a few times before doing it.

Don't follow these steps that I'm going to give you, shortly, this is just a small pakced expample;

- download the flash utility as well as the newer BIOS revision to a floppy disk (unzip them if they are zipped).

- reboot your computer with the diskette still in the drive, as if you were a Windows 98 diskette...

- run the flash utility, select save current BIOS and then go back to the main menu in the flash utility. Then update your BIOS revision.

- remove the diskette and reboot your computer.

It should be something similar to the steps stated above. If you still have questions, don't be afraid to ask them!

SkiLLtoN
11-06-01, 08:56 PM
aite thx
i jus ordered it like 30 min ago
i gonna put the xp in & c if it works
it prolly will work temporary till i flash my bios
i'm soo happy =D

MagicMikey
11-06-01, 09:02 PM
Ya, I don't have hands on experience on this but I do believe it will work, but not to its full potential. If not, you should make that diskette now with the computer you are currently using just in case. I don't know if you're upgrading or building a new system so, heh, a second computer always comes in handy to fix it's sister ;)