PDA

View Full Version : vodoo 5 5500, any good????

TinyTim
11-06-01, 06:20 PM
what do you guys think of the voodoo 5 5500 video card? I can pick one up for about 75 bucks, just wanted some insight here......

YARDofSTUF
11-06-01, 06:23 PM
if u plan to play old games or diablo2 only then its perfect but for a gaming system of modern and future games it really wont cut it.

Qwijib0
11-06-01, 06:38 PM
good card for ANY game out today... q3, ut ...etc unless you're using or plan tou use xp... there's no xp support

TinyTim
11-06-01, 06:39 PM
ok, thanks, what would i look for in a video card if i wanted to use it to not only play games, but i do alot of digital photography as well??? So I would like one that will give a crisp image, as well as perform well with games....

YARDofSTUF
11-06-01, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by tdog9988
ok, thanks, what would i look for in a video card if i wanted to use it to not only play games, but i do alot of digital photography as well??? So I would like one that will give a crisp image, as well as perform well with games....

the fastest ATI or nvidia card u can afford.

EthanHunt16
11-06-01, 06:49 PM
i have a voodoo 5 and i love it!

Maliy
11-07-01, 01:01 PM
Vodoo 5 is extremly good card for its price. The reason is because the company went out of business but i wouldn't recommend it now because there is no more support and no drivers updates for it.

aagiants
11-07-01, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Qwijib0
good card for ANY game out today... q3, ut ...etc unless you're using or plan tou use xp... there's no xp support
actuallt Windows XP already has working drivers for the cards, but they haven't yet got them to work inOPENGL mode. If u go to voodoofiles.com u will find them that support OPENGL

HongKongPolice
11-07-01, 04:05 PM
Ya, therez fully working XP drivers from www.voodoofiles.com made by 3rd parties, but a GF2 Ti costs like $100 USD and is wayy faster, VD5 doesn't give the most bang for the buck

Qwijib0
11-07-01, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by aagiants

actuallt Windows XP already has working drivers for the cards, but they haven't yet got them to work inOPENGL mode. If u go to voodoofiles.com u will find them that support OPENGL

I've tried 4 or 5 different drivers for XP, and I always BSOD when i try to run UT. Quake III runs fine in Glide mode, but wolfenstein (based on the same engine) won't even detect my card. The XP drivers out there are flaky at best.