PDA

View Full Version : heat problems

Joebeme2
11-04-01, 04:36 PM
hi,

I have an abit kt7a motherboard and an athlon 1.1 ghz using a millenium glaciator II to cool the processor. I seem to be having a cooling problem because at idle it runs at around 48c and full load at around 55c. I have 3 case fans, 1 sucking air in and to blowing out. I would have more but, my case only has slots for 3 case fans. Any suggestions on what i can do? Thanks.

Joe

YARDofSTUF
11-04-01, 05:05 PM
ummmm if it runs fine, leave it alone lol

if u want better cooling get stronger fans, where are teh fans located at in the case?

Joebeme2
11-04-01, 05:12 PM
I have a full tower case....one fan is at the front bottom and 2 at the back on top. The reason i was concerned with cooling is because i wanted to overclock...lol i don't think i'll be doing that under these circumstances. Thanks for your reply.

Joe

YARDofSTUF
11-04-01, 05:17 PM
well if u wanna over clock then u should try to get a bit more powerful fans in there maybe even drill holes were teh fan spots are and put larger fans there and get a better heatsink/fan combo on ur cpu.

Joebeme2
11-04-01, 05:21 PM
Good idea with putting bigger fans in :) ... i think i'll try that. As for a better hsf combo, i think the one that i have right now is one of the best. Perhaps i should reapply artic silver to it? http://www.pimprig.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=43 Thanks.

YARDofSTUF
11-04-01, 05:25 PM
well it looks alot better than the original millenium cooler, and it should do, dunno about one of the best though.

Joebeme2
11-04-01, 06:41 PM
Would lowering the core voltage lower the temp? It's currently at 1.79. Thanks.

YARDofSTUF
11-04-01, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Joebeme2
Would lowering the core voltage lower the temp? It's currently at 1.79. Thanks.

maybe but then u'll need to raise it again when u OC lol

KANO
11-04-01, 09:08 PM
your heatsink & fan is not really a good one, try for a sk6 h & f.

open your pc and clean the inside of it, make sure your ide and floppy leads are away from the mb, and not blocking airflow.

Joebeme2
11-05-01, 03:40 PM
Do you think reapplying artic silver to it would help at all? When i put it on, i think i made it a little uneven. Even though the sk6 is better, i think that the hsf i have now should be providing a lower temperature than 48c, especially for a non overclocked system. http://www.overclockers.com/tips519/ . Thanks.

Joe

terrancelam
11-05-01, 04:26 PM
onto the cpu core, it'll spread itself if you place the hs on correctly and fill the gaps. BTW your temps are a bit high, but otherwise fine, I think you just need to look into the airflow of your case, I have a midtower ATX and I hit 45-48C idle and 57C full load. I'm thinking of getting a better case (my PSU covers up the HS/F area, but lucky for my, I got a dual fan PSU, so the exhuast from the cpu HS/F gets sucked out from the dual PSU fans.)