PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Recommendations?

Altema
11-04-01, 01:42 PM
Im looking for a laptop and im open to suggestions. Which brands are best? Is there a good website where prices are lower? etc etc

And im wondering should i get an Ibook from apple.... the new titanium books from apple....... or should i stick to IBM.

brembo
11-04-01, 01:47 PM
Well, what yer gonna do with it figures in. Laptops have a very limited upgrade path, keep that in mind too. Buy in hopes that what ya get will be viable in 2 years or so.

I have had great luck with Dell, Micron and to some extent Gateway.

For the love of God, stay away from Compaq, always been a headache for me.

Dunno about Toshiba, or IBM's. I'd suspect that they are quality, I know Thinkpads(IBM) are pricey little things.

Sony? I can't figure em out. Well built, I know that, but it seems that Sony loves to put propritairy hardware in thier laptops. I have not had the chance to gut one and do my own system install on one as of yet.

I'd go with Dell personally, and to be absolutly truthful, I would not buy a laptop. Get a killer desktop insted.

Altema
11-04-01, 01:51 PM
Yeah i know about the disadvantages of a laptop, but the only reason i would consider buying one is that we dont have space in our house and i know my mom will put it in her room which means i wont be able to use it at night :) Laptop i can take it outside :D

nightowl
11-04-01, 01:53 PM
i work with toshiba's at work and they are garbage too....

look into a IBM, Dell or even a HP

Deus ex Machina
11-04-01, 03:23 PM
Dell has been the recommended laptop buy all. The 15 in Ultra screen (1600x1200) is absolutely gorgeous and can be had with the nVidea gforce2 mobile graphic card. Of course, you will spend some coins on it. The HP 54xx series gives great bang for the buck. My brother snagged one at Best Buys for 1200.00 (5420) It has the 900MHz Athlon 4 processor with 128 MB of RAM.... THe graphic accelerator is a Trident (barf) 8 MB. Well.... it is not bad for the price.

david

Zmoney
11-04-01, 04:45 PM
if you just want somethin for surphin the net..and chattin and stuff and have a small budget..get one of those tripods i think sharp or mobile makes one...ill look that up later...you can get em for around 400$ now....ill follow up later

Altema
11-04-01, 06:14 PM
my main purpose is i want to chat, surf and play some games. I dont wnat one of those though :)

Just a normal lap top thats faster than my current computer :) and th ats cheap:D

terrancelam
11-04-01, 08:20 PM
the Dell and IBM have the best choices so far. But prices for newer laptops can range from $1200 for an so-so (lastyears desktop) to $4000 (Close to today's desktop.)

monkeyhead
11-04-01, 08:22 PM
IBM's suck!
my school's mobile computing program uses them
and they suck

A_old
11-04-01, 09:39 PM
www.netlux.com

go there
Amro

p.s. that is custom laptops..NICE

drdoug99