PDA

View Full Version : amd and xp athlons.

KANO
11-04-01, 10:37 AM
the way amd have named there new xp chips, is a bad move from them.

heres what i saw today, i have a friend who has 3 market stalls, at a pc fair. now i was walking around looking for a 450 watt psu, and i see this guy buying a mb and a cpu, it was the abit non raid kg7, and the bloke selling him the chip said it was a athlon xp 1500, i asked the buyer what cpu did you get he said its a 1.5 ghz, i feel i should have told him its not really a 1.5ghz but it would have not looked good because my friend is also a trader there, and traders have a code with eachother.

AMD, are to blame for people getting ripped off.

smaier69
11-04-01, 10:49 AM
well, i would tend to agree, but the problem is, its not really AMD telling a lie. they are relying on the bulk of the populace's ignorance. there is no mention of the clock speed in conjunction with the number in "XP 1800" or whatever XP model you look at. AMD claims to be looking at it like any product name. you could start a tire manufacturing company and call it "250MPH".... or call the company "Joe's", but name a line of your product (tires) "250MPH".... even though they may not carry that speed rating. you wouldn't be doing anything openly wrong, but you may (or more than likely with a company or product name that blatently refering to a performance spec) be relying on people's misunderstanding of where the 250MPH actually fits.

at any rate, i do feel this campaign will come back to bite AMD in the butt. people dont appreciate feeling like they've been fooled. they may not realize it at the checkout counter, but they eventually will......(*POOF!*) there goes your brand loyalty.

BaLa
11-04-01, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by smaier69
at any rate, i do feel this campaign will come back to bite AMD in the butt. people dont appreciate feeling like they've been fooled. they may not realize it at the checkout counter, but they eventually will......(*POOF!*) there goes your brand loyalty. therein you're wrong my friend.

YARDofSTUF
11-04-01, 11:19 AM
it would be ok if it was the athlon XP1800 1.5ghz but they hide the speed, but hay whatever.

smaier69
11-04-01, 11:36 AM
just curious, BaLa... what part of that is wrong? (not being argumentive. just curious as to where our opionion differs).

i really do believe people (not everybody. just those who lack in knowledge at this point) will, over the long haul, see their ignorance was taken advantage of. successful maketing to the masses also hinges on reputation. if your reputation is shot, then things can get ugly.

i understand that things do change, but until Intel chooses to name their product(s) in the same fashion, it will be confusing to those who dont know that a XP 1800 has a slower actual clock speed than a P4 1.8GHz (or 1800MHz). the whole "comparative performace nomenclature" is only used by AMD, so typical consumers (regular people... unlike most of us aorund here) wont really know what they are buying spec-wise.

BaLa
11-04-01, 11:46 AM
just curious, BaLa... what part of that is wrong? (not being argumentive. just curious as to where our opionion differs).

shouldn't have said "wrong" , in my earlier post

i really do believe people (not everybody. just those who lack in knowledge at this point) will, over the long haul, see their ignorance was taken advantage of. successful maketing to the masses also hinges on reputation. if your reputation is shot, then things can get ugly.

actually most ppls who buy procs separately (build their own comp), wont care;
what matters to most of them the most.
Is I believe Price/Performance/Overclockability (to some).
dunno bout this, but I don't think you can O/C the P4, (I might be wrong of course)
Right now, AMD has intel beat in all of those Price/Performance/ O/C...
everybody else who goes to Dell, or their local comp stores wont really give a damn if it has an Intel/AMD Proc.
I work at a small comp store, and I don't think I'd have a problem selling comps with the VIA C3 chips if I were so inclined..

KANO
11-04-01, 01:55 PM
smaier69 the point here as you saw it, people are going to be a little pissed off when they find out its not what they thought it was in the first place.

but i think they will blame the seller, more then amd. but amd has made it easy for people to be ripped off.

although most might still buy the athlon, because of price and power.

m4a2t0t
11-04-01, 02:53 PM
dunno bout this, but I don't think you can O/C the P4, (I might be wrong of course

actually the p4 is very OCable

m4a2t0t
11-04-01, 02:57 PM
their not trying to rip off the consumer,its just that they are trying to show that the 1800xp is the equivalent of a 1.8 p4.
i dont agree with their marketing tatic though

BaLa
11-04-01, 03:05 PM
really hmm..
I wonder what a 2ghz P4 could O/C too?..

are the P4s not multi locked like the earlier TBs and now the XPs?

m4a2t0t
11-04-01, 03:11 PM
i dont know about the locking
ive seen the 1.8 OCed to 2.1 without any problems
dunno bout the 2.0,i saw on the vapo chill site that they have OCed the 1.7 to 2363

Joe
11-04-01, 03:35 PM
If you are willing to spend a large sum of money on something (anything) and rely solely on a salesman to tell you what to get you deserve to be ripped off.

KANO
11-04-01, 03:50 PM
not when the chip says xp1500 on it ping. its making life easy for sales people to mislead shoppers.

BaLa
11-04-01, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by KANO
not when the chip says xp1500 on it ping. its making life easy for sales people to mislead shoppers.
I totally disagree with that!
The chips clock speed might not be 1500mhz but it might as well be, as it will beat the pants of off a P4@1.5ghz..

YARDofSTUF
11-04-01, 04:07 PM
the p4 is locked

the verage salesperson doesnt care about ripping u off the store itself ripps u off

the majority of the ppl that will be ripped off are teh same ppl that think aol is the only way to browse the web.

AMPLIFRIER
11-04-01, 04:17 PM
its a shame AMD has to do what its doing so the average end user doesnt just see AMD 1.5ghz and think......well Intel has a 2ghz out......that HAS TO BE FASTER..........buncha crap.

AMP

YARDofSTUF
11-04-01, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by AMPLIFRIER
its a shame AMD has to do what its doing so the average end user doesnt just see AMD 1.5ghz and think......well Intel has a 2ghz out......that HAS TO BE FASTER..........buncha crap.

AMP

thats why amd did it, because ITS NOT FASTER, they want teh dumb ppl to know, but chose the wrogn way of getting the word out

BaLa
11-04-01, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by YARDofSTUF

the majority of the ppl that will be ripped off are teh same ppl that think aol is the only way to browse the web.

LMAO

drdoug99
11-04-01, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by PING
If you are willing to spend a large sum of money on something (anything) and rely solely on a salesman to tell you what to get you deserve to be ripped off.

I agree gentlemen.

I dont see the point in spending $1-3 thousand dollars on a PC, and not even knowing how to turn it on. Same as in anything.

An informed consumer is a happy consumer, a ignorant consumer will be very mad.

onetrueday
11-05-01, 03:59 AM
Many people are willing to spend the 1500-2000 dollars on a computer out of fear. They fear if they dont spend that much money, within a year thier computer will be out of date. They cant understand that even a pent75 can handle email and some online stuff. So, they spend tons of money hoping to be able to 'handle' the future. It's no differant in cars. People will sometimes spend more, hoping to impress or that 'extra' useless safety feature. I think computer shopping is more complex.

This complexity comes from not understanding what all the parts are and how they are important. The majority of people DO NOT know the difference between ram and hard drive, how can you expect them to understand that they dont have any use for a p4 2gig!

I feel bad for AMD because they've tried to be honest with the thunderbird. They built a better chip and were upstaged by the lies and monopoly like practices of intel. I feel that they did the right thing with naming the new chips because it levels the playing field. I dont think they are lying at all, since when the silly customer finds out the truth they'll ask. Hopefully the person they ask will know the truth and explain it to them.

AMPLIFRIER
11-05-01, 05:44 AM

YOS

thats why amd did it, because ITS NOT FASTER, they want teh dumb ppl to know, but chose the wrogn way of getting the word out

I am in agreement with you YOS.
its not faster in clockspeed but all the end user sees is 2ghz on the intel and 1.5 on the AMD.....thats all they see. they dont know that the AMD will kick the ***** out of the p4. AMD had to do something to save themselvs......its a shame they had to do this though.......pretty devicing.
As long as AMD gets to stick on the playing field.....i dont care what they say their chips are......just so long as i can find out what they are running at.
i care less what the other idiots that dont take the time to learn about what they are bying think they have.

AMP