PDA

View Full Version : What is tha best board???!!!???

smidley
11-03-01, 03:25 PM
The ultimate decision... what motherboard to get. The Soyo K7V Dragon Plus, or the MSI K7T266 Pro RU? Witch one of these boards is the best one out there?!? That's up to u to decide.
Now research and post a reply or just post in the poll.
Thanx. -smid

smidley
11-03-01, 03:42 PM
By the way... this board will be using an Athlon XP 1600.

YARDofSTUF
11-03-01, 04:51 PM
i dunno i like the gigabyte one i have the thread about, the soyo is a solid board, not great for overclocking, and the msi is a solid board not too great at overclocking but better than the soyo, but the soyo's memory performance is a bit better.

i dunno what i vote yet lol

smidley
11-03-01, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
i dunno i like the gigabyte one i have the thread about, the soyo is a solid board, not great for overclocking, and the msi is a solid board not too great at overclocking but better than the soyo, but the soyo's memory performance is a bit better.

i dunno what i vote yet lol
Why do you say the MSI one is better?

YARDofSTUF
11-03-01, 05:19 PM
with good ram and tweaking the msi would be better than the soyo because their ram scores are fairly close but there OCing ability is farther apart with msi ahead

YARDofSTUF
11-03-01, 05:21 PM
i'm proably buying this one now cuz teh msi looked nice but not nice enough.

http://www.giga-byte.com/products/7vtxh.htm

smidley
11-03-01, 05:28 PM
Yeah, that Gigabyte board looks nice, but it has less features than these other two boards. It lacks RAID and additional IDE controllers and also, reffering to the MSI board, USB 2.0.
You will probably get the Gigabyte board at a lower price though.

YARDofSTUF
11-03-01, 05:31 PM
woa i swore it had raid lol
the giga byte has a built in 10/100 realtek, ac97 sound, and i hope all the memory options i'll want, but unsure

smidley
11-03-01, 05:34 PM
Nope no RAID on that one... and the sound isn't as good as this here Soyo board either... 5.1 baby!;)

YARDofSTUF
11-03-01, 05:44 PM
epox, another nice one, no raid though:

http://www.epox.com/HTML/ENGLISH/products/motherboard/ep-8kha+.htm

i do liek teh stuff the dragon has though, u decided yet? lol

smidley
11-03-01, 05:47 PM
No, not yet... I looked at that Epox one, but it just didn't have enough IDE controllers for me:p ... I don't even know why I am so **** about that either... cuz I will probably never use RAID.... just nice to know it's there I guess.
Still thinking....

YARDofSTUF
11-03-01, 05:50 PM
i'd liek to get the dragon but i havent heard of any good OCs on it, hmmmm

see originally i was waiting for the crush18 board, but my kt7a doesnt support teh XPprocessors liek everyone said cuz i have an older revision, no i need a board now since i order the XP 1800 already, as well as another antec case :2cool:

the soyo looks good though

smidley
11-03-01, 05:53 PM
Crap, I just don't know which one to get!
AAHHH!
:D

downhill
11-03-01, 06:06 PM
I'd get the EpOx board in a hot second if it had built in RAID. (266a chipset version)

MSI should be comming out with the new nvidia chipset board in the next week or so....

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_spec/k7n420pro.htm

And an article. All sorts of boards are supposed to be released.

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-7746712.html?tag=mn_hd

smidley
11-03-01, 06:13 PM
I wanna use the 266a chipset for good DDR performance tho. so the Nforce is not for me.

YARDofSTUF
11-03-01, 06:19 PM
the dragon seems to appeal to me more adn more

HongKongPolice
11-03-01, 07:10 PM
I vote for MSI, they're better known for making high quality boards, but not very good @ overclocking. I read an article pointing out that the board is missing a capacitor, transistor 'n stuff, so that it can only use 2 phase power instead of 3, which will be a problem when CPU speeds go higher..... Doesn't seem to matter tho cuz some ppl have them running @ 170Mhz+ FSB

YARDofSTUF
11-03-01, 08:28 PM
i think i'll order myself a dragon :)

smidley
11-03-01, 10:00 PM
Yeah, to me the Dragon board seems to be better but there are more votes for the MSI board.... well YOS, tell me where you order your Dragon from, and I'll get one too I think... I just hope the GF doesn't want alot of expencive stuff this month:D

drdoug99
11-03-01, 10:40 PM
Here's a thing to look out for on that MSI motherboard.

"One AGP Slot. Note: AGP 2.0 2x/4x (1.5V only)"

It's only 1.5Voltage.....doens't the GF3's use 3.3volts? I'm probably wrong....but if so, that may be something to be wary of.

The Soyo Dragon Plus has the AGP Pro slot, which is always nice.
Plus I like the 5.1 sound chip....as I wouldn't feel like spending the $99 dollars on the new Audigy.

But the MSI is slightly better in performance, and has USB 2.0, which is cool.

I voted for the Dragon. which is what I would get, based on the reviews I read at viahardware.com

MagicMikey
11-03-01, 10:48 PM
I voted for the Soyo Dragon....I've been debating 266A boards with myself for the past 3 weeks and came to the conlcusion, in my opinion, that the Dragon would be the best bet.... I'd love to get my hands on the manual, it looks well written out...!!

YARDofSTUF
11-04-01, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by smidley
Yeah, to me the Dragon board seems to be better but there are more votes for the MSI board.... well YOS, tell me where you order your Dragon from, and I'll get one too I think... I just hope the GF doesn't want alot of expencive stuff this month:D

since i'm unsure of the board still i ordered myself a antec 1030 case and front panel usb adapter :) u order teh board first :p lol

smidley
11-04-01, 11:16 PM
I don't know where to get the board from!...lol