PDA

View Full Version : i got power but want moreeee!!

ralphie13
11-03-01, 07:01 AM
i just bought a 1.8 xp amd and a msi pro 2 via 266a now they say i can overclock from the bios but i am new to this can someone tell me how to do it and what setting i should make it i dont want to fry the **** but can i get to 2.0 thank u....

YARDofSTUF
11-03-01, 07:34 AM
first off u dont have a 1.8 xp u have an athlonXP1800 which is clocked at 1.53 ghz, 2.0 pretty tough for the msi with air cooling!!! lol

now what is ur heatsink and case cooling liek and what is ur ram rated at, example is it pc133 cas or c l 2?

and what wattage powersupply?

answer those and we can begin ur journey :)

u should be able to hit the 1.7 or 1.8 ghz range provided u have nothign holding it back

KANO
11-03-01, 11:16 AM
HEY JOHN PLEASE LEAVE THIS FORUM THEN :)

el bob
11-03-01, 11:27 AM
I think John said that because he perceived this guy as a newbie and he didn't think that the guy would be able to successfully overclock at this point without seriously damaging his stuff.

KANO
11-03-01, 01:16 PM
ya i know he thought that, was just having a j/k with him.

YARDofSTUF
11-03-01, 02:21 PM
thats why we gotta teach him first, then he can overclock

gertvanjoe
11-03-01, 03:25 PM
Ralphie . Don't listen to John :)

I say everybody with comon sense and the abiltity to change jumpers / dip's or press del can overclock

Jst remeber . You can lose your cpu
Don't take to big leaps at 1 time and I think you'll be fine

I never worked with a XP so I don;t know how they oc . Someone take it from here

YARDofSTUF
11-03-01, 05:28 PM
well he can still OC the fsb. but yes teh unlocking process is tough, ocz is gonna take about a week to unlock my XP cuz its so difficult.

drdoug99
11-03-01, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
well he can still OC the fsb. but yes teh unlocking process is tough, ocz is gonna take about a week to unlock my XP cuz its so difficult.

dang, that's a long time.....

ya, I would also advise to not overclock your XP chip Ralphie....as youd have to use like a conductive ink pen, and get like a microscope to even see the L1 bridges, lol....I can barely see those tiny things!

syncmaster
11-04-01, 09:34 AM
Another vote , to not overclock your Cpu ..

The overclock procces , was an old game , it was at max of it before 1 year ago.
The reason was ,that was in the market some special CPUs and Boards , that they had the ability to give some more power under stress .

This days the companys that produsing this products ,they have maxed out all theyr power all ready .
So there is nothing there to get more ,other than unstable system .

I ven NVIDIA , they overclock theyr video cards ,due the drivers .
What do you think that you will do more than that :)
Overclock more ??

In everything there is one limit .

YARDofSTUF
11-04-01, 11:23 AM
sync i agree with video card but i have gain much more performance in overclocking my cpu and ram, it hasnt seen its max yet.

NuclearHeadache
11-04-01, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by syncmaster
Another vote , to not overclock your Cpu ..

The overclock procces , was an old game , it was at max of it before 1 year ago.
The reason was ,that was in the market some special CPUs and Boards , that they had the ability to give some more power under stress .

This days the companys that produsing this products ,they have maxed out all theyr power all ready .
So there is nothing there to get more ,other than unstable system .

I ven NVIDIA , they overclock theyr video cards ,due the drivers .
What do you think that you will do more than that :)
Overclock more ??

In everything there is one limit .

lol, more power!!!!!!!!!
:D

syncmaster
11-04-01, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by NuclearHeadache

lol, more power!!!!!!!!!
:D

hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :rotfl:

Yap , more power , but wen we have old hardware , and we need to select who we will sqeez , the CPU or our pocket . :)
With todays systems ,its not work that way .

The gain is so minimum ,that is not worth it .
One momment , what i am saying here , is for the most users .
There crazy Japaneze overclokers that they kick theyr systems to hell ,with overcloking , but they actualy make races between them .
This is not actions, for some new or averige users .
We are not all, in the same level .

Some people thay can easely bypass the finansial issue , and get all this fresh gismos .
But the travel of one system to that crazy speeds , it needs the ultimate knowlege , that is very very hard to get it .

I admire this Japanese freaks :) most of them they know every single pin of the CPU ,for what is used for ..
They also know the BIOS settings in highest detail.
They make PLL synthisizers , and they replace by those ,the softmenu of the motherbords , so they unlock completle the motherboard .
They design and create from skrats, the PCB layout and they solder by hand the parts .
They have extreme cooling solutions that some of as we have never see in our life .

They do not use this systems like as , for gaming or aplications ,
for them everything is a Race .

Ok we can push our systems a litle bit , but this litle bit, will never give as any awesome performance gain .
Due to all the above , i am saying , to not overclock .

MartialArtist12
11-04-01, 11:34 PM
There's FSB overclocking. It's better than just upping the multiplier. You should reach 150MHz (300MHz DDR) pretty easily. I hit a 164MHz FSB with my MSI K7T266 Pro2-RU and my 1.33GHz XP but brought it down to 150.

ralphie13
11-06-01, 05:28 PM
thanks for the replies i am using 512mb ddr pc 2100 i have an orb cooler on cpu and 8 other fans in the case and 3 under the mother board 1 under the cpu i know it sound like an airplane in here but i dont care i. i think i will leave it alone... but today i bought an visiontek ti 500 g3 and i had a gforce 256 i play flight sim 2002 and i dont see a difference is it me but i thought i was going to see a difference anyway my next ? do i have my bios set up right i dont know a thing about its the msi pro 2 ver 3.00 can someone please tell me what to look for and change in detail if possible cause i am about to return this visison tek card thanksguys for all your help!!!

syncmaster
11-06-01, 07:06 PM
Why you do not run 3Dmark 2001 , to compare .

All the GF3s , they like this bench and they skor nice numbers .
The reall life is diferent , but no one wants to hear my voice ,wen i am saying that the GF3 is not something really spesial over the GF 256 or the GF2 .

Any way if the T&L or the 32 Bit color in high resolutions its not a big deal for you , take it back , its not worth the cash .
At list right now .