PDA

View Full Version : Should I or shouldn't I...

Epyon
11-02-01, 06:18 PM
Should I or shouldn't I try to install my new pci video card? Btw, I've never done it before.

Banshee
11-02-01, 06:29 PM
lol, well whats the point of having a new vid card if your not gonna install it? :p

Its real easy, just pop it in.

You are going to have to use a little force to get it in, so don't be afraid to push it a little. But if it feels likes its going to break, don't push so hard! :D :p

el bob
11-02-01, 06:51 PM
make sure to ground yourself

Epyon
11-02-01, 06:58 PM
I never really opened my pc before, can you post a pic of where to install the card? Also, how should I ground myself?Is wearing shoes enough?

drdoug99
11-02-01, 07:18 PM
wearing shoes enough....unless your shoes have a rubber sole, and your on a metal floor, I dont think it will...

check this out....

http://www.buildpc.net/

what you need to do, is just have a philips screwdriver. hopefully a few other tools, flathead screwdriver, tweezers, that's basically it.

Locate your screws on teh case. take off all screws, remove the case.

then you'll see the guts of your computer.

look for the PCI slot....first off, are you sure your computer even has an extra slot free? you may need to take out your previous video card and replace it with your new one.

here's a pic on what to look for.

http://www.tech-advice.freeserve.co.uk/isa.jpg

but it's extremely easy....I went from knowing nothing about the insides of a computer, to building my own in like 5 months.

YARDofSTUF
11-02-01, 07:18 PM
no pics but unplug the powersupply chord in the back, then open case touch metal case a bit to remove static from u then plug the card into one of the white slots, top one is best. plug the monitor into the new vid card and reconnect everythign and install the drivers when ya boot and tada u gots a card!

Epyon
11-02-01, 07:21 PM
Yes, my pc has 1 free pci slot, also my pc has a removeable side pannel.

YARDofSTUF
11-02-01, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Epyon
also my pc has a removeable side pannel.

i had a couple of those too, but i removed them... :D

Epyon
11-02-01, 07:26 PM
Would it be a bad idea to keep it off all the time to keep the inside of the pc cool?Also thanks for explaining how to install the card it seems pretty easy. Btw, I hope my pc disables my intergrated graphics(intel i810 chipset), I hope that doesn't cause problems.

YARDofSTUF
11-02-01, 07:36 PM
Would it be a bad idea to keep it off all the time to keep the inside of the pc cool?Also thanks for explaining how to install the card it seems pretty easy. Btw, I hope my pc disables my intergrated graphics(intel i810 chipset), I hope that doesn't cause problems.

son of a b!tch thats another thign to do, when u goto install it first goto control panel and system then goto display and click properties and disable it by clciking do not use this device at the bottom. thats an important step lol

u dont need ur case closed and yes it does run a bit cooler open.

Epyon
11-02-01, 07:39 PM
Thanks man your SUCH A BIG HELP! I ought' to send you a gift basket with beer and adult videos or something but I'm a cheap slouch, heheh.

YARDofSTUF
11-02-01, 07:42 PM
Thanks man your SUCH A BIG HELP! I ought' to send you a gift basket with beer and adult videos or something but I'm a cheap slouch, heheh.

thats ok i have a fully stocked bar :D and no life :rotfl:

Epyon
11-02-01, 07:59 PM
OOPS, I just checked there's no box to click to disable it. I run win2k pro, should I just uninstall it?

onetrueday
11-02-01, 08:06 PM
Yes, go to add/remove and see if you have any video drivers there. If you do, uninstall them. Then go into the device manager and remove the video drivers there too. On first boot, I'd make a quick jump into the bios and make sure you dont have any controls there for your onboard video card too. congradulations on the new card, anything is better then that onboard garbage.

YARDofSTUF
11-02-01, 08:10 PM
yepp i assumed it was win98se onetrueday got ur back :D

Epyon
11-02-01, 08:12 PM
I see 2 devices which I am confused about. One says:Intel(r) 82810e DC-133 System and Graphics Controller, and another says:Intel(R) 82810E Graphics Controller. Which one should I uninstall?

YARDofSTUF
11-02-01, 08:13 PM
both

Epyon
11-02-01, 08:16 PM
I guess that wraps everything up, Thanks One and Yard for the help on the matter.

onetrueday
11-02-01, 08:22 PM
Dont forget to tell us how it goes!

Epyon
11-02-01, 08:31 PM
Well I'm getting the card for my birthday and hopefully GTA 3, I would have wanted best buy to install the card but it costs like 40$ to I said f*ck it. My birthday is on the 29th so I'll install it around that time, and I'll let you know how it goes.