PDA

View Full Version : Do you think AMD will survive our Depressed Economy?

Ghosthunter
11-02-01, 01:09 PM
I am just curious what you think?

I dont want to debate whether AMD is better than INTEL or vice versa, just will AMD survive with our economy going downhill so fast, and who knows when things will get better.

With Dell being No. 1 out there in home sales and passing Compaq, and AMD not really having any server market, I dont see how they can survive and still make a profit? I mean their chips are so cheap what profit do they make? I know a lot of people build their own machines...but compared that to how many are ordered through Dell, business, and home use..

Gateway, HP, and Compaq all sell AMD, but with the merge of HP/Compaq (things are going to get worse for them before they even get better). Gateway i dont know anyone who buys them anymore...

Unless Dell starts selling AMD chips, or the economy makes a huge turn around, I question whether they will survive?

I hope thy do, beucase more competition is always better especially against Intel.

Brent
11-02-01, 02:47 PM
CPU's are not the only thing AMD makes and sells

they are huge on the flash memory market or whatever, they do make other things....

IMO they will survive just fine in the end.... they made it through the hard times of trying to get the K5 and K6 out there amongst Intel's offerings, they can survive this.....

YARDofSTUF
11-02-01, 04:47 PM
amd will be around for awhile

MartialArtist12
11-03-01, 10:43 PM
At worst, some layoffs.

HongKongPolice
11-03-01, 11:12 PM
Expect EVEN CHEAPER AMD CPUs next year cuz AMD is planning on ramping up production like crazy. Read: http://www.overclockers.com/tips706/

AMD prices will almost get cut in half. I think its a smart move cuz VIA is planning on releasing their "P4 clone" end of next yr or 2003, so if AMD doesn't get some more brand loyalty by 2003, they'll be screwed even more when VIA joins the chip wars. You all know how good VIA is @ making chips...... All we need now is nVidia joining...... lol

MartialArtist12
11-04-01, 12:55 PM
Yeah... Too bad most of us are still going to stick with Intel and AMD. I just don't trust Via for some odd reason.

BaLa
11-04-01, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by MartialArtist12
Yeah... Too bad most of us are still going to stick with Intel and AMD. I just don't trust Via for some odd reason.
in the end it doesn't really matter..
just somebody else trying to compete for YOUR money, which should mean prices will continue to decline...

FunK
11-04-01, 01:31 PM
Isn't VIA somehow related to the Cyrix CPUs?

If so, I'll pass for sure.

BaLa
11-04-01, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by FunK
Isn't VIA somehow related to the Cyrix CPUs?

If so, I'll pass for sure.
yeah they bought Cyrix sometime, don't know any dates though..