PDA

View Full Version : nForce news

YeOldeStonecat
11-02-01, 05:51 AM
Doing my usual surfin before work, my daily stop at Anandtech brought this little gem...

"nForce will debut next week"

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-7746712.html?tag=mn_hd

YARDofSTUF
11-02-01, 07:15 AM
awww i was hoping it was the geforce 3 model coming out.

Brent
11-02-01, 09:00 AM
i've already seen it in action

it's on par with the KT266A nothing spectacular like we were all hoping, in some scores it's slightly, within 10% of the kt 266a

still a good feat for their FIRST chipset though

YeOldeStonecat
11-02-01, 09:48 AM
It's just exciting to look forward to for those of us who have wanted go to AMD but did not because of VIA. Plus I love nVidia anyways. Sweet job for their first chipset...just imagine how it will do in a second revision or next gen.

Brent
11-02-01, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
It's just exciting to look forward to for those of us who have wanted go to AMD but did not because of VIA. Plus I love nVidia anyways. Sweet job for their first chipset...just imagine how it will do in a second revision or next gen.

VIA's always worked great for me heheh

I too was skeptical of them when I was an Intel guy, yep up till this year all I used or wanted was Intel stuff, I was like those dumb VIA people always having trouble with their systems they should just stick with Intel and have no problems hehehheheheh

so i've been on both sides

until i actuall tried a mobo based on a via chip, and it wasn't that bad!

I've run a KT7E and a KT266 and both work great, true i haven't used a KT133 or 133A though, perhaps those are problem filled, but their newer chipsets are actually pretty damned good......

I like NVIDIA too, and I like the integration of just having to install the Detonator drivers and being DONE with driver/software installs, that for me makes it easier.....

it's an awesome alternative, but they need to come out with a chipset WITHOUT the integrated audio and video etc.... to bring the price down and market it for the performance enthusiast.....

YeOldeStonecat
11-02-01, 01:24 PM
Yeah I know Via's latest chipsets have ironed out the problems, but their earlier ones were so bug prone, and the limited compatibility...ugh.

I have one Via chipset currently running, the Abit VP-6 with dual PIII 750E's on it. Running NT 4 server though (will prob plop on XP for a while just to compare it to the Palomino rig I'll get) Curious how a pair of PIII 750@900 something will bench against a single Palo 1900.

Anyways, its a LAN server. Just many of my gaming buddies who are quite experienced with building hot gaming rigs, dealing with so many of the early issues of the Vias and those 4 in 1s.

Agree on wish we had a choice of no onboard video with the nForce. The audio I'd prefer to have a choice, although I'm looking forward to their sound...so it's good for me. Have you seen the sound comparisons? The CPU utilization is by far and above the lowest out there, important for gamers.