PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the best quailty CD-R's?

RoundEye
11-01-01, 01:21 PM
I've never done any research into if one brand is better than another.

What I'm wondering is , what is the best CD-R brand for data? I was at the store and they had cd's for data and cd's for music, which sounds like B.S. to me, since the data is digital no matter if it's audio or not.

I'm just looking for a best quality medium for about 10 cd's of important data that I have. Possibly a brand that is compatible with older CD-ROM's.

drdoug99
11-01-01, 01:42 PM
well the CD's made for audio are more expensive, and are designed for the Audio CDR's, like the Philips or Harmon Kardon recorders, since they record differently than a computer.

I use Memorex 80min CD-R's, they work flawlessly for data and audio....though my next purchase will be a CD-RW...so I can erase the data as well...since the Memorex's have worked fine for me, I see no reason to try any other brands.

I get a 50 pack for $30 bucks....seems good to me.

Forgetful
11-01-01, 02:06 PM
The main reason disks specified as audio are more expensive is that a levy is placed on each disk and paid to performing rights people.........they do seem better tho'..............Sony and Philips invented the standard so i don't suppose you could go far wrong with their products.

LoopeD
11-01-01, 02:14 PM
Word of Warning:

DO NOT USE MEMOREX!!!!

They suck - many older CD players can't even play em. Had a few data problems with them at work, too. Same with Sony's. Though I guess for data-only they'd be OK, but I'd still be apprehensive. Alos, do NOT buy the fancy mulit-colour cheap packs that lots of places are selling - they also are coasters.

Kodak Silver + Gold are the best, though they're a little more expensive.

Also Fujitsu and Maxell are OK.

:):):)d

LoopeD
11-01-01, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Forgetful
The main reason disks specified as audio are more expensive is that a levy is placed on each disk and paid to performing rights people.........they do seem better tho'..............Sony and Philips invented the standard so i don't suppose you could go far wrong with their products.

Serously, I burned 5 CD's on Sony CDR's for a friend. He took them home and attempted to play them on his Techincs CD player, which is about 8 years old. They played but the sound was all scratchy and bad. I burned the exact same things onto Kodaks for him and they sounded perfect.

I think Sony is starting to skimp on quality.

Crump
11-01-01, 02:33 PM
everybody is starting to skimp on quality

BaLa
11-01-01, 03:36 PM
I know this doesn't really answer your question but I buy whatever is cheap @ WalMart, or PX...
I don't buy the real cheap stuff anymore, as one time I bought Pengo CDRs and my older HP CDWriter wouldn't burn them...
other than that I've used quite a few CDRs with no problems, Imation, Memorex, BASF, and some others.. (I don't keep a list *lol*)

I still don't get why you can buy "Audio" CDRs it's a waste of money imho, unless your CD-Player is like the first that ever came out, might have problems with the DATA CD-Rs

ALLREADY2
11-01-01, 04:09 PM
:D

monkeyhead
11-01-01, 05:32 PM
ive heard about mitsui, being so good, but expensive, like a dollar per CD, anyone know where to get em cheaper?

syncmaster
11-01-01, 05:37 PM
Verbatim !!

They last for years ,they do not get scratch easely , they do not oxydizet .

They are the top at my eyes .

I trusted other brands and i had it , Mitsui , Princo , is a bad memorys for me .

TDK makes also good CDs , but Verbatim will be my choice for ever .

drdoug99
11-01-01, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by LoopeD
Word of Warning:

DO NOT USE MEMOREX!!!!

They suck - many older CD players can't even play em. Had a few data problems with them at work, too. Same with Sony's. Though I guess for data-only they'd be OK, but I'd still be apprehensive. Alos, do NOT buy the fancy mulit-colour cheap packs that lots of places are selling - they also are coasters.

Kodak Silver + Gold are the best, though they're a little more expensive.

Also Fujitsu and Maxell are OK.

that's strange, cuz all i use is memorex....they have worked flawlessly like i said....but i'll try the kodak, as i have heard great things about them..

Brent
11-01-01, 06:51 PM
all i use is memorex too, the ones with the blue colored cd side.....

i got a 100 pak for like $30 bucks, it was on sale, couldn't beat it price wise..... all have worked fine for me on diffferent cdroms and other peoples computers

terrancelam
11-01-01, 07:59 PM
Some cd are crap, some aren't. I've used Delta, Memorex, BASF, BASF(By Emtec, The purple sided kind), Mitsui and Mitsui OEM(Unbranded and spindled. This is what I've noticed:

1.)Delta so is the cheaptest and more reliable of the cardre. It's bout $30CAD with tax($24 w/o) for a 50 spindle and every one of the cds works and the top is laminated (So that if you do happen to ruin it, you can use it as a coaster! :) ). I have tired using an actual information containing cd as a coaster and amazingly enough, it still works. But if water or soupish like things are left on it for too long(months), it will damage the actually data.

2.)Memorex is cheap, but I found that 1 out of every 10 cds will not work properly. Either the reading speed is horrible or undetectable in a normal reader. As for the chemical test, it was laminated, so it survived the test under the same Delta conditions.

3.)BASF (Gold cd-rs) were about 2 bucks CAD a pop with case and all, I got them a while back when CD-rs were more expensive and ranged up to 5 bucks a pop. All of them have worked well and never crapped out. As for the chemical test, survived a bit longer then the Delta, had full cover lamination.

4.)BASF by Emtec is about $1 buck for the cd-r and case, it's cheap and reliable, 1 out of every 20 cds fails for no particular reason other then quality, but that statement isn't always true. Full lamination covering, about the same chemical timing for the delta.

5.)Mitsui, the most expensive, along side Kodak(Which I have not used ever) and with certain CD-R(W), it can be the best. Never have had a single Mitsui go bad on me. It's fully laminated on the top side and survived the chemical test the longest, has been 2 months with wierd soup on it and after being cleaned off, still works! I would recommend this, but when I got my cd-rs, they were $4 CAD for a case and cd-r.

6.)Mitsui OEM, was about 70cents CAD without case or spindle. About 1 out of every 30 failed on me. Quality was good and great for the price, but no lamination protection. The data was easily damaged and survived the chemical test the least longest, 1 day. Then saw wierd blotches where the data once was.

*Chemical test is basicly me using the cd-r as a coaster for my midnight snacks of noodle in msg broth(Not instant, freshly made).

I personally suggest for you to go with the Deltas if you can find them, cheapest and work well.

Qwijib0
11-01-01, 08:40 PM
I've gone through 4-5 50 spindles of memeorex silver (80 minutes), and had only one or two bad ones. Never had a problem with tdk's either. I switch off between the two depending on what's on sale at costco.

RoundEye
11-01-01, 09:20 PM
terrancelam, thanks for the info. You should be a reviewer for a magazine.

I stopped on my way home from work today and picked up a 15 pack of Fujifilm CD-R's. I'll give them and try and see how they work out, if they like older CR-ROM's I'll be happy. That's really the main thing I'm interested in, I go to a lot of offices that don't have the latest, greatest hardware.

LoopeD
11-02-01, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Brent
all i use is memorex too, the ones with the blue colored cd side.....

i got a 100 pak for like $30 bucks, it was on sale, couldn't beat it price wise..... all have worked fine for me on diffferent cdroms and other peoples computers

I'm a little biased since I use mostly for CD audio. If the CDR won't play on some CD players, and another brand will, I consider the one that didn't to be an inferior product. If you're using them for strictly data, then I guess they're OK, though I have had a couple of bad Memorex at work (see tererancelam's response).

Now when are they going to put them out with a protective covering over them, like store-bought CD's? Or a spray or something........CDR's scratch so easily.

HongKongPolice
11-02-01, 07:09 AM
CD-R quality depends on the type of DYE used. Read this article: http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_dye.shtml

The best type of dye is PhthaloCyanine, the only certain way of telling what type of dye used is to use a program called CDRIdentifier. http://www.gum.de/it/download/english.htm

90% of the time, PhthaloCyanine dye CD-Rs are either PURE silver or gold (Kodak), but there are Cyanine dyes that look silver as well. Mitsui was the one who invented PhthaloCyanine, so they are the BEST, but other companies make PhthaloCyanine CD-Rs too @ WAY cheaper prices, and they're just as good as Mitsui CDs, so you just gotta find them. I wouldn't recommend Cyanine dye CD-Rs cuz they're just lower quality, and unless you save 50% or more on them, its not worth it.

General rule is to stay away from blue/green CDs. Silver and Gold are the best. I'm burning @ 24x with 12x Certified PhthaloCyanine Dye CD-Rs, thats how good the dye is.

loop2kil
11-02-01, 07:40 PM
verbatim!!!!

BaLa
11-02-01, 11:46 PM
ATIP: 97m 26s 66f
Disc Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corp.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

what's all this mean now?

HongKongPolice
11-03-01, 08:54 AM
Read the article I posted

Jamie_R
11-03-01, 08:58 AM
I use Memorex, Maxell, or Verbatim - whichever is cheapest whenever I run out - Haven't had any problems.

NuclearHeadache
11-04-01, 11:18 AM
Verbatim ValueLife here. Great long lasting quality. Blue back. And the top has nothing but a white coating. No letters what so ever. I'm beginning to wonde if there even Verbatim. :confused: