PDA

View Full Version : ATI mach32 drivers for Win98SE - WTF!?!?!

LoopeD
10-31-01, 01:00 PM
Frustrated!

I'm setting up an old comp for a friend (486DX4 @ 100MHz). It has an ATI Graphics Wonder mach32 card. When I go to install the drivers manually for it, the Win98SE CD Display Driver subdirectory doesn't even have a directory for ATI. Windows 98 FIRST edition does, but no drivers for mach32, just mach64.

When I search the web, I invariably get directed to ATI's site, which only has 3.1 drivers and says to use the mach32 drivers that come with Windows 98.

Its a vicious circle!!!!:mad: :mad:

Anyone know what I should do next? There's an exclamation point next to the adapter in System Properties, and I can't chenge the resolution from 640 x 480 16 colours:(

Thanks in advance

:):):)d

el bob
10-31-01, 03:17 PM
try and avoid cursing in the subject line. i don't know if it is against speedguide's rules but in general for forums it is regarded highly

Did you try using the mach64 drivers?

Otherwise, put the win98fe cd in another computer and copy the drivers for the card onto a floppy and then reference the drivers on the machine you are trying to setup from the floppy. Most of the time drivers are listed for Windows 98 and separate versions are not made for both win98se and win98fe.

YeOldeStonecat
10-31-01, 03:23 PM
When you can't find, just type it into your favorite search engine. From Google...got a ton of hits...

I usually try to stay away from MS drivers, and find ones from the hardware vender.

el bob
10-31-01, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
When you can't find, just type it into your favorite search engine. From Google...got a ton of hits...here's one of them...

http://www.videocarddrivers.com/ati.htm

I usually try to stay away from MS drivers, and find ones from the hardware vender.

Yeah, he's got a good point there. Strike what I said. Use it only if what you get off the net won't workout for you.

LoopeD
10-31-01, 03:34 PM
Taken from ATI's site:

mach32 Drivers
This page lists drivers for all mach32 products, including:

GRAPHICS ULTRA+
GRAPHICS ULTRA PRO
GRAPHICS WONDER - my card

Installation Software
M32UTL.ZIP
Installation Instructions
DOS-based installation and configuration utilities (INSTALL.EXE v2.3) for the GRAPHICS ULTRA+, GRAPHICS ULTRA PRO and other mach32 products
EISA and MCA config files, DPMS, VVESA, VDIF, VGRAF and DOS mouse drivers included.

Size 359KB Date 05-18-94

Utilities
HDLOAD.ZIP HDILOAD v2.1a - ATI Turbo Adapter Interface for DOS
Size 42KB Date 09-20-93

Generally used for DOS-based CAD applications configured for an "IBM 8514/a" interface.

VV222.ZIP VESA SuperVGA BIOS Extension implementation 2.22 for all mach32
Size 19KB Date 02-07-94

LOADER.ZIP
Release Notes
Driver Module Loader for mach32 Windows 3.1, OS/2, and CAD drivers.
Size 67KB Date 11-24-93

Windows Operating Systems
Windows XP Use the mach32 driver provided with the operating system. (details)
Windows ME Not supported.
Windows 2000 Use the mach32 driver provided with the operating system. (details)

Windows 98 Use the mach32 driver provided with the operating system.

Windows 95 Use the mach32 driver provided with the operating system.
DPMS Patch for Windows 95:

32W95DPM.ZIP
This is a patch for the mach32 driver on the Windows 95 installation CD, which adds a DPMS (display power management signaling) feature.

Size 19KB Date 03-18-96

Windows NT Use the mach32 driver provided with the operating system.
Windows 3.1
32WIN260.ZIP
Version 2.6 Windows 3.1/3.11 display and Multimedia Video Acceleration drivers for all GRAPHICS ULTRA PRO, GRAPHICS ULTRA +, GRAPHICS WONDER, and other mach32 products.
Requires LOADER.ZIP utility from UTILITIES section above.

Size 1.2MB Date 08-11-95

NOTE: You may require your original Microsoft Windows diskettes to install this driver.

IBM OS/2
32OS2260.ZIP
OS/2 2.1x and OS/2 3.0 Warp display drivers for all GRAPHICS ULTRA PRO, GRAPHICS ULTRA+, GRAPHICS WONDER, and other mach32 products.

Size 893KB Date 08-01-96

DOS
MSE704.ZIP ATI mouse driver v7.04 for DOS for all ATI products that have a mouse port
Size 24K Date 05-20-93

CAD
32CAD260.ZIP
TurboDLD Display List Driver for all GRAPHICS ULTRA PRO, GRAPHICS ULTRA +, GRAPHICS WONDER, and other mach32 products.
Supports AutoCAD for DOS release 10-386, 11, 12, and 13; 3D Studio release 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, and 4.0; and AutoShade with Renderman 2.0.

Windows-based CAD applications should use a mach32 Windows driver.

Size 243KB Date 06-08-95
32UST260.ZIP
panaStation Display Driver for all GRAPHICS ULTRA PRO, GRAPHICS ULTRA +, GRAPHICS WONDER, and other mach32 products.
Supports Microstation releases 4.0 and 5.0 for DOS.

Size 141KB Date 06-08-95

UNIX Environments
UNIX Information for Metrolink, NeXT, QNX, SCO, Solaris, Xfree86 and Xi Graphics operating environments.

Trust me, guys, I ALWAYS go for the search engine first - I ain't totally green here!! ;)

ATI says to use the drivers provided with 98. 98SE doesn't have any ATI drivers on the CD at all, and 98 1st Edition has ATI drivers but they are all mach64 drivers. When I try to select one of those, it gives me a warning saying that I've chosen a driver that is not compatible for my card.

The only install program I can find is an old DOS program that installs Windows 3.1/AutoCAD DOS drivers. Doesn't help for Win98. I know I've had a mach 32 card set to 800 x 600 or at least 640x480 16bit true color before. Frustrating!

Thanks for the responses though - if you can think of a solution to my niggling little problem I would love to hear it! I havent worked on an obsolete piece of junk in awhile - guess it makes sense that the drivers are getting harder and harder to find.

And el Bob, if there is someone who knows what that actually stands for, it stands to reason that they are not too young to read it. Hence the short form - sorry if I offended - I guess I'm used to more adult-oriented boards.

LoopeD
11-01-01, 10:00 AM
Still can't get her to work - I thought maybe if I installed the Win3.1 drivers from DOS then maybe Windows would recognize it and install its drivers. Nope........ :(

YARDofSTUF
11-01-01, 12:14 PM
it says there on the XP CD too but i dont see them, what kind of a stupid company wouldnt put a copy on their damn site, thats retarded

LoopeD
11-01-01, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
it says there on the XP CD too but i dont see them, what kind of a stupid company wouldnt put a copy on their damn site, thats retarded

That's what's making me scratch my noodle - what if your Windows CD was messy and you needed the drivers?

Every other bloody manufacturer has the drivers somewhere that you can download.....

YeOldeStonecat
11-01-01, 01:08 PM
Yeah trusty ATI with their driver support....LOL.

I noticed that the mach32 seemed to be more of an OEM board, lots of references to Dell's and moomoo Gateways, etc. Perhaps they may have a link or their own downloads?

I see that on ATI's driver webpage, they do mention Win98, and yet on WinME it's not supported. 98SE being in between, they're not clear on that.

May be you have such an oddball card that it's no longer worth it, just try to find another standard PCI card like a trusty S3Virge.

LoopeD
11-01-01, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
Yeah trusty ATI with their driver support....LOL.

I noticed that the mach32 seemed to be more of an OEM board, lots of references to Dell's and moomoo Gateways, etc. Perhaps they may have a link or their own downloads?

I see that on ATI's driver webpage, they do mention Win98, and yet on WinME it's not supported. 98SE being in between, they're not clear on that.

May be you have such an oddball card that it's no longer worth it, just try to find another standard PCI card like a trusty S3Virge.

Unfortunately that's not an option - buddy wants a free computer he gets what's in it. The drivers have to be somewhere, because I had a mach32 running on a Windows 95 machine a long time ago. I don't have any other cards and to tell you the truth I'm sick of scrounging around for this cruddy machine ;)

Anyone know of a site that has old/obsolete drivers? Cause I'm having trouble finding the Win95/98 drivers for his crappy sound card too, a MediaVision Jazz16. Only drivers I can see are Win 3.1.

Another question: If, way back when, you upgraded your Win3.1 machine to Windows 95, does the video + sound use the 3.1 drivers or did Win95 upgrade them? If they're the same, then no wonder I can't find 95/98 drivers for any older cards.

LoopeD
11-01-01, 02:07 PM
I'm starting to think that ATI didn't release Windows 9x drivers for the mach32 line.

Boo.

So I guess I'll have to find something else. I think there's a Cirrus Logic card lying around somewhere......

*shudder*