PDA

View Full Version : Uh Oh, More ASUS driver cheating

Brent
10-30-01, 08:05 PM
http://www.rivastation.com/go_e.htm?http://www.rivastation.com/news/news_de.htm#1004434036

remember the whole "see through the walls" cheat haunting us

A_old
10-30-01, 08:33 PM
i think it's fine since it doesn't crap up the image quality like the ati version of the cheat does...plus it isn't enabled by default.. i'm just interested to know if it's documented or not.. hrmm.. oh well most ppl w/ nvidia cards grab coolbits right away anywho

Amro

Brent
10-30-01, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Amro
i think it's fine since it doesn't crap up the image quality like the ati version of the cheat does...plus it isn't enabled by default.. i'm just interested to know if it's documented or not.. hrmm.. oh well most ppl w/ nvidia cards grab coolbits right away anywho

Amro

the thiing is is that it IS enabled by default!

Joe
10-30-01, 08:42 PM
Why is it cheating when it gives you more performance? And unlike ATIs cheat its not something they are trying to hide with drivers... I see no wrong doing here

Brent
10-30-01, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by PING
Why is it cheating when it gives you more performance? And unlike ATIs cheat its not something they are trying to hide with drivers... I see no wrong doing here

for people that don't know anything it's cheating them into thinking their card is faster then everyone else's, when in fact it's only that way cause it's overclocked

IMO it should be disabled by default and explained well what it does and let people decide if they want to enable or disable it, only then would it be right

i hate it when companys do these things and hide it or just not even tell us about it out in the open

Joe
10-30-01, 08:54 PM
Very good point brent but how many people that wouldnt know what was going on to begin with are going to have a Geforce 3 in their comp? :P

onetrueday
10-30-01, 10:51 PM
The only good thing about it is that they retain liability for the overclocking. Since all other video cards dont make the higher clock speed default, it is your responsibibly if the card fails as a result. However, since it wasnt your choice you should be protected with this card.

A small comment, but something worth noting.

fjt2000
10-30-01, 11:18 PM
f

Qwijib0
10-30-01, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Brent

for people that don't know anything it's cheating them into thinking their card is faster then everyone else's, when in fact it's only that way cause it's overclocked

IMO it should be disabled by default and explained well what it does and let people decide if they want to enable or disable it, only then would it be right

i hate it when companys do these things and hide it or just not even tell us about it out in the open

That should be allowed under 2 conditions....

1) A Dialog box asks before it enables it (diasbled by default)
2) ASUS accepts ALL responsibility due to overclocking failure

YeOldeStonecat
10-31-01, 07:19 AM
Do people forget all the prior versions of ASUS drivers had the ASUS tweak utility which did overclocking? Yes you had to turn that on manually, but I think that we have to look at the market ASUS caters to. It's a high performance card, not some OEM card like ATI caters to. So people who buy ASUS cards are usually gamers, people who build or at least customize their rigs, and these people will most likely have heard the term "overclocking" and know what they're getting. They are people who will most likely visit their display properties window.

Turned on by default, or turned off by default, that's like if you bought a ZR-3 Vette....would you rather the dealer handed you the normal key, or the special Valet key which locked down the engines horsepower so you couldn't get into trouble. You knew you were buying a ZR-3 cuz it was tweaked more than the normal Vette...my choice would be the normal key!

And that whole "see through" ASUS driver hype last winter, it was nothing new! Prior versions of that driver had been out for the longest time, it was for game developers. It's just someone got wind of that new version, and in typical media overhype, proclaimed it some cheating device that all of a sudden was brand new and on the market. Riiiight...whatever. Actually, nothing new but the version, prior versions had been out for years, back with Quake 2, I think even with Quake 1. In reality, I don't see how it could be possible to use that see through framing as a cheat. Your eyes would be in pain trying to differentiate the close wall from the far wall and trying to see who was in between what.

YARDofSTUF
10-31-01, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
Do people forget all the prior versions of ASUS drivers had the ASUS tweak utility which did overclocking? Yes you had to turn that on manually, but I think that we have to look at the market ASUS caters to. It's a high performance card, not some OEM card like ATI caters to. So people who buy ASUS cards are usually gamers, people who build or at least customize their rigs, and these people will most likely have heard the term "overclocking" and know what they're getting. They are people who will most likely visit their display properties window.

Turned on by default, or turned off by default, that's like if you bought a ZR-3 Vette....would you rather the dealer handed you the normal key, or the special Valet key which locked down the engines horsepower so you couldn't get into trouble. You knew you were buying a ZR-3 cuz it was tweaked more than the normal Vette...my choice would be the normal key!

And that whole "see through" ASUS driver hype last winter, it was nothing new! Prior versions of that driver had been out for the longest time, it was for game developers. It's just someone got wind of that new version, and in typical media overhype, proclaimed it some cheating device that all of a sudden was brand new and on the market. Riiiight...whatever. Actually, nothing new but the version, prior versions had been out for years, back with Quake 2, I think even with Quake 1. In reality, I don't see how it could be possible to use that see through framing as a cheat. Your eyes would be in pain trying to differentiate the close wall from the far wall and trying to see who was in between what.

wanna buy an 800 mhz duron off me, i mean its a 1.2ghz duron? :D

so its overcloked, its the same thing right?

see my point?

YeOldeStonecat
10-31-01, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by YARDofSTUF

wanna buy an 800 mhz duron off me, i mean its a 1.2ghz duron? :D

so its overcloked, its the same thing right?

see my point?

No, not same point.

A) I wouldn't buy a duron

B) They're selling their video cards based on the chipset...IE GeForce 3, or GeForce ti whatever....NOT lying about speeds. Your arguement tends to say that they are taking something like a GeForce 2....trying to up the clock speeds, and selling it as a GeForce 2 Ultra. NO. They are not masking their chipsets as something they are not. They are selling them as higher quality hardware that is capable of running at higher speeds. Asus boards are for the educated hardware enthusiast consumer, not the CompUSA newbie.

To go back to another car analogy, not for todays rice rocket chain saw muffler on a Honda kids, but for a 70's car person....take a Chevy small block 350....you can buy a plain vanilla 350 small block from your local Chevy dealer or JC Whitney catalog that is 185 hp, or you can buy a balanced and blueprinted one from a higher end dealer or hot rod shop that is 300 hp.....same 350 cubic inch engine, but which one do you think the car enthusiast will want to buy and go for? And why should the hot rod shop be penalized for selling a higher end higher horsepower engine than the local Chevy dealerships sells?

Asus makes a better board with higher quality components such as RAM...why should they be penalized for taking advantage of having faith in their product and tweaking it run better?

I as an educated hardware enthusiast and tweaker intentionally search out higher quality components which usually yield the ability to be pushed higher...Asus caters to this market, they are not a plain jane vanilla OEM maker.

///Walks into a Ferrari dealership....begs the salesman to take out the nice red flat 8 boxer engine and substitute it with a 4 cylinder fiat engine///

YARDofSTUF
10-31-01, 08:55 AM
i'm sorry i didnt read carefully, i thought they were boasting about better speeds and stuff, i'll go back to my hole now :)