PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much RAM?

ChuckDees
10-30-01, 06:37 PM
Getting a new computer with 512 RDRAM. I can go up to a gig of memory. My question is will 512 of RDRAM be enough for a while?

Will Windows XP Pro even utilize it?

What do you guys think?

YARDofSTUF
10-30-01, 06:40 PM
512 megs is good for XP, if u gave it a gig it would like that too. i think XP with crap out right now could use up 1 to 2 gigs if it had it and u did alot, but i'm running with 512 megs and it runs great

syncmaster
10-30-01, 06:45 PM
I run one win2k box , with 760 megs .

Only one time i have see my system to use 180 megs .

Most of the time its using 113 megs , and all the others 630 they play cards , just to pass theyr time :)

ChuckDees
10-30-01, 06:49 PM
I do a little bit of everthing. I play games, surf the web, do web-design, listen to music. I guess my most intensive proggies I use is Photoshop, Flash 5, and Dreamweaver 4.

YARDofSTUF
10-30-01, 06:59 PM
with flash 5 dream4 and PS open and doing nothign XP was using 240 megs for me. i find gaming uses more.

syncmaster
10-30-01, 07:01 PM
Ok lets say the truth .

The 256 Megs is totaly enough for anything .

I got all that ram , because i order it from England , its the best 256 Megs Cas 2 Micron SDRAM , i got three of them in great price , and because the postal fee was high , its was not worth to take less ram than that amound .

Lets say that i got all that ram just to fill my memory slots .

But there is something good of having all that ram .
If you make any mistake wen you use your scaner , and you scan in a high resolution by mistake , your system will not stack , with starting to swaping like crazy and making your hard drive to run as crazy with the system ready to pass out :D

Brent
10-30-01, 07:01 PM
512 is fine for now unless you are runnign a server or doing something more intensive like editing video and audio, if not then everything you just mentioned 512 is good for, and yes Win xp and 2k and nt 4 all manage and use the memory a million times better then win9x

ChuckDees
10-30-01, 07:38 PM
Cool thanks. I will stick with the 512 RDRAM and get 2 256 sticks when the price falls down.

I think a better investment would be to buy a second hard drive. Thinking of getting a 60 gig IBM Deskstar.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

terrancelam
10-30-01, 07:56 PM
Apparently quite abit of the IBM hard drives have been experiencing alot of failures. I suggest you reconsider on that, I'm not sure if the 60GXP model is affect by this high failure rate, but be aware of the potential danger. Any know of it's just the 75GXP that has these problems or does it extent out to their other series?

YeOldeStonecat
10-30-01, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by syncmaster
I run one win2k box , with 760 megs .

Only one time i have see my system to use 180 megs .

Most of the time its using 113 megs , and all the others 630 they play cards , just to pass theyr time :)

What's the most you play, Solitaire? I've easily passed 380 megs usage in workstation, passed 800 megs on a server.

syncmaster
10-30-01, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by terrancelam
Apparently quite abit of the IBM hard drives have been experiencing alot of failures. I suggest you reconsider on that, I'm not sure if the 60GXP model is affect by this high failure rate, but be aware of the potential danger. Any know of it's just the 75GXP that has these problems or does it extent out to their other series?

The 60GXP its a fine drive .
Not just because one IBM series turn bad ,and not all the 75 GXP have problems also , we will put the IBM in the line of the bad boys. ?? !!

syncmaster
10-30-01, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat

What's the most you play, Solitaire? I've easily passed 380 megs usage in workstation, passed 800 megs on a server.

I do not wan to show of ,by saying that i run heavy applications , because i do not have any , than common Workstation aplications .

Photoshop and Corel and Office 2000 ,is my basic aplications .

For gaming Delta Force - all the Unreal versions - and quake 3

I have right now 140 megs in use ,with all the firewall and antivirus and some other litle desktop utilities running .

And i really , can not easely use for all that memory .
I do not usaly multy task as user .

Only if i work with web graphics , and i scan pictures ,having the photoshop open and the software that i use for web design , my memory founds some use with all this .

HongKongPolice
10-30-01, 09:09 PM
Gig it! WinXP will use up like 768Megs already........ lol

brembo
10-30-01, 09:16 PM
AutoCad can gobble up some ram. I have seen one instance of AutoCad use 200 megs(thats including OS and outlook). Granted it was a huge file(30 acre topo, with shaded wireframe). I guess if I opened a whole counties worth of roads(25 meg file), it could go upwards of 300 megs for one drawing. I never do such things, I'm way to impatient.

downhill
10-30-01, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by ChuckDees
Cool thanks. I will stick with the 512 RDRAM and get 2 256 sticks when the price falls down.

I think a better investment would be to buy a second hard drive. Thinking of getting a 60 gig IBM Deskstar.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Just caught this. Even though it could drop further than now, the manufactures are all but wrapping money around memory chips right now!

Crucial is selling 256 megs of 2100 ddr for under $30.00 with free second day shipping.

Yeah harddrive space can always come in handy.

smidley
10-30-01, 09:51 PM
where is the link to that?!!!??

YeOldeStonecat
10-31-01, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by downhill

Just caught this. Even though it could drop further than now, the manufactures are all but wrapping money around memory chips right now!

Crucial is selling 256 megs of 2100 ddr for under $30.00 with free second day shipping.

Can life get any better? I mean, think about it....look at all that RAM, and how little it costs!

Just think...couple of years ago, when decent ram was around $2.50 and $3.00 a meg. Now look at it....drool.... {8-P'''''

The question of "Should I get more RAM?" should simply NOT BE ASKED anymore. I mean, half a gig...for under a hundred bucks these days.

YARDofSTUF
10-31-01, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat

Can life get any better? I mean, think about it....look at all that RAM, and how little it costs!

Just think...couple of years ago, when decent ram was around $2.50 and $3.00 a meg. Now look at it....drool.... {8-P'''''

The question of "Should I get more RAM?" should simply NOT BE ASKED anymore. I mean, half a gig...for under a hundred bucks these days.

hell ya, i spent 230 bucks on 64 megs of SDRAM for my pentium 233! spent about the same amout on 768megs of which is ocz premium ram in the last 6 months to a year! its insane, i do indeed love it!

Thor Walez
10-31-01, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Brent
512 is fine for now unless you are runnign a server or doing something more intensive like editing video and audio, if not then everything you just mentioned 512 is good for, and yes Win xp and 2k and nt 4 all manage and use the memory a million times better then win9x

someone here thinking of playing Q3 Team Arena out of a ramdisk ?!?
--> get 2GB of RAM

-Thor :cool: :cool: :cool:

gmcd33
10-31-01, 10:18 AM
I got a 1000MB of Crucial PC-2100 and it works great. I think its time for more though. A nice ram drive would be nice. :D