PDA

View Full Version : Why do you install XP ?????

syncmaster
10-30-01, 06:11 PM
One new OS with out drivers support , all of this is actualy a game from MS , simple because XP = Win2000 , but they have set diferent signatures in the driver files , thats why win2k drivers is not good for XP .

I can not understen why, so many people get in problems with theyr own free will ???

The old days , wen win2k pop up in the arena , it was diferent .
We only had NT4 and it was not that friendly as the win2k is , and the Win2k was more power and stability .

So we did not had any choice .

Now , so many people they move forward with all this problems that XP hides ,in drivers support , and they do it just for fun.

The threads gets full of messages for support in XP problems .
Well what i say , is go all to microsoft and ask your money back .

YARDofSTUF
10-30-01, 06:16 PM
but i never boiught it yet lol, i do like it and i have driver support for all my stuff and XP runs great :)

syncmaster
10-30-01, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
but i never boiught it yet lol, i do like it and i have driver support for all my stuff and XP runs great :)

Oh yea ??

Do you have printer ,scaner, Web camera ,multimedia keyboard , sound card , TV tuner card , Ultra 100 external controler ...... etc etc ...

Its good for you that you have feed your dog :) , but the most i here they are in panic for nothing .

KANO
10-30-01, 06:28 PM
drivers are and will keep growing, ive got a few problems with xp, but all in all its a nice OS, many more features then win2000 and it will leave 98 in the same league as win 98 left win 95.

i like and still like win98 2nd, but i did not like winme and felt win2000 was crap for alot of games, but winxp seems to have blended the 2 and from it we end up with xp.

YARDofSTUF
10-30-01, 06:28 PM
printer

multimedia keyboard

sound card

thats all from that list. support is getting better but ya if i bought it i would have checked for drivers first, i do plan on buying XP just waiting a bit to see if there are changes or anything.

KANO
10-30-01, 06:30 PM
my printer sets its self up with no need for the driver disk, just plug in the usb and its done, epson 740.

the one problem im having is my game pad, its not showing up in winxp trying to sort that now.

downhill
10-30-01, 07:05 PM
Not all folk are upgrading from 2000, sync. I'd bet that most upgrades being sold are folk using 98 and ME.

Yeah it's a money game being played by Microsoft. They excell at it.

syncmaster
10-30-01, 07:10 PM
I believe that mostly people from ME they move to XP .

The win2k boys does not dance from happines becauce of XP .

I will not die because i do not have the media player 8 :rotfl:

YARDofSTUF
10-30-01, 07:23 PM
i've used 95
98se
ME
and XP

95 was my long running fave until XP hit

Brent
10-30-01, 07:24 PM
Well, If no one used WinXP then it wouldn't push the developers to come out with XP drivers

it's because of people using it and complaing that helps push along development, at least with companys that have a hardcore following, like sound cards, video cards, printers even, cameras etc.....

and XP aint that bad really

everything I have works great, and works better then Win2k!

I had some games that didn't like to run in Win2k, but you know what? They run PERFECTLY in WinXP! I can even run a few older games now with absolutely no problems.

Support is also pretty good, for instance in Win2k I had to install this driver for this digital camera I like to use. But in WinXP all I had to do was plug the camera in the usb port and it worked with NO driver install and NO rebooting (this from a fresh install of xp)

it's beautiful

sure though MS is a money making machine, and ultimately it's all about greed and rippin us off....

but that's why i just don't buy their software :p

KANO
10-30-01, 07:25 PM
winxp is alot better then win2000, its got alot of good options and it looks better, have you tried it yet syncmaster?

Brent
10-30-01, 07:27 PM
I've used lets see what i can remember:

Dos 4
Dos 5
Dos 6
Dos 6.22
Windows 3.0
Windows 3.1
Windows 3.11 for workgroups
Win95
Win95A
Win95B with usb support
Win98
Win98SE
WinME
Win2k Pro
Win2k Server
Win2k Advanced Server
WinXP Home
WinXP Pro
RedHat Linux
Mandrake Linux
Novell forget what version
Couple of Mac OS's

Comadore 64 :p

KANO
10-30-01, 07:28 PM
but that's why i just don't buy their software:

lol@you brent, still it was a good point :rotfl:

CBurcik
10-30-01, 07:32 PM
Good old C64........didn't we all have one of those?????

I am ashamed to say that I had a Vic 20 also.........

Seems like 50 years ago.

monkeyhead
10-30-01, 09:42 PM
i havent had to install a driver yet for XP

Qwijib0
10-31-01, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by CBurcik
Good old C64........didn't we all have one of those?????

I am ashamed to say that I had a Vic 20 also.........

Seems like 50 years ago.

Hey! Don't knock the VIC!

Brent... ever use GEOS- the GUI for C64?

CookieKid
10-31-01, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Brent
I've used lets see what i can remember:

Win2k Server
Win2k Advanced Server
RedHat Linux
Mandrake Linux

How are these OS? I'm thinking of using Win2k Server...got any good suggestions? I've tried XP...have too many things that I didn't need or want...went back to Win2k Pro

CookieKid
10-31-01, 02:44 AM
Who? me? :sleep:

YeOldeStonecat
10-31-01, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by syncmaster
The old days , wen win2k pop up in the arena , it was diferent .
We only had NT4 and it was not that friendly as the win2k is , and the Win2k was more power and stability .

You call ///THAT/// the old days? When "Win2K pop up in the arena"? LOL

Never had a problem with NT 4....loved it, still do. XP is just NT version 6.0. NT 3.5 wasn't too hot, sure. But 4 was cool.

It's all the same game, those of us who have seriously been in the game for a long time have seen this before, it's nothing new at all. Always problems until the first service pack or two comes out. And those driver/compatibility/support problems usually go away quite a bit after the official retail release is out, and the tier-1 venders get a chance to update their drivers. For those who rush out and expect 100% compatiblity on their RC copies or with the first month of an OEM or Retail release, and it doesn't work, well, serves ya right.

ps..Brent, ya forgot Windows 95 C and D...(those were OEM versions towards the end, but I bet you've been on them)

syncmaster
10-31-01, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat

You call ///THAT/// the old days? When "Win2K pop up in the arena"? LOL

Never had a problem with NT 4....loved it, still do. XP is just NT version 6.0. NT 3.5 wasn't too hot, sure. But 4 was cool.

It's all the same game, those of us who have seriously been in the game for a long time have seen this before, it's nothing new at all. Always problems until the first service pack or two comes out. And those driver/compatibility/support problems usually go away quite a bit after the official retail release is out, and the tier-1 venders get a chance to update their drivers. For those who rush out and expect 100% compatiblity on their RC copies or with the first month of an OEM or Retail release, and it doesn't work, well, serves ya right.

ps..Brent, ya forgot Windows 95 C and D...(those were OEM versions towards the end, but I bet you've been on them)

We do not say anything diferent .
I had the NT4 for one year as basic OS .
There is no comparison with the win2k .

But if you like to give me your lights ..

Compare the win2k with the XP .

YeOldeStonecat
10-31-01, 09:19 AM

We do not say anything diferent .
I had the NT4 for one year as basic OS .
There is no comparison with the win2k .

But if you like to give me your lights ..

Compare the win2k with the XP .

Well there IS a comparison 'tween NT 4 and NT 5 (Win2K)....as very simply it's just the next progression or... "evolution if you will" of the same OS. Win2K just had the ME look and feel to it, so more home users felt comfortable with it. But look at the forums here or anywhere....it cracks me up soooo bad...tons of 9X users go out and get 2K...and get all lost, over their heads, and confused about creating user accounts, permissions, why sharing isn't working with their 9X box over the network, what a service pack is. I'd say over half the 2K users that treat it as a consumer OS don't even know what event viewer is, or what or even where 90% of the administrative tools are.

Win2K was supposed to be a split OS like XP is (meaning have a Home consumer edition, and the business class Professional version), but MS couldn't get the multimedia compatiblity stable enough for home use yet, so they scrambled and came up that joke of an OS called ME at the last minute.

So XP is simply the next version of NT....NT 6.0. More money, a more bloated OS, requires quite a bit of horsepower to run quickly. More lockdowns from Microsoft. To me, comparing 2K and XP is like 98SE to XP in a way, it's really the same thing underneath, with a fluffier icing over the top. The big thing is the hype (sorry, I refuse to get my kneepads on and praise bill gates like so many members of the flock of sheep), because now the NT core is officially being marketed to the home consumer. Remember, 2K was never marketed to the home consumer market, it was still pushed as a business/corporate OS.

I saw XP in its infancy a long time ago, before Mac OS X made a show with it's fancy look, and Microsoft pulled XP back in for an overhaul because they were secretly impressed with OS X. Seen the RC's, have my VAR copy, but wouldn't rush out to buy it. And it won't run on this main gaming rig for another few months. My Palomino rig may run it in a month or two, or actually another rig I'm building, in where I took back one of my public gaming servers, it has a pair of PIII 933's on it....so I may run it on that. Meanwhile, already reformatted one of my rigs at the office that had it for a bit. But I have the luxury of having a fleet of computers at home and at the office to mess with, not one single computer to rely on.

Just get a good laugh and the sheep who gotta rush out and get it, just to be the first on the block to run it, to sound cool cuz they run it, then to whine this piece of hardware or that game doesn't work yet.

Nitrogen Ace
10-31-01, 04:55 PM
Buy a windows OS. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I have every single version of the latest windows releases from win 3.1 onward and I have not bought one of them. :2cool:

syncmaster
10-31-01, 09:02 PM
YeOldeStonecat

I will say that your answer is really a good one , you did not save your ink either .

I am one open-minded person , actually as a pro tech I do not have any alternative ways ..

I did not liked the XP , just from the start of them , the why is most psychological reasons , I will explain all this by one simple phrase, the NT OS was for hard trained persons , now that goes to the simple users , I fill that I am loosing some of my value .

I know that its sounds stupid , but my own way of thinking this is how I feel .

The factor that many people are on panic to find drivers for the stuff, that they have , or they ask for help for one OS that no one yet really knows , is some of the reasons that was make me, to start this topic .

Personally , I will not move to XP , for some simple reasons , I own hardware from 3DFX Voodoo3 3k , and sound card from AUREAL , that I am sour , that i will not have, any drivers support from them .
They have close down as all we know .
But I am not worry that mats about it , as the win2k is a fine OS that covers all my needs , and I feel like home with it ..

To the new owners of XP I wish them good luck , as they will be the first ones, that they will find out , the new OS , and all the traps and tricks of it .

Brent
10-31-01, 09:36 PM
YeOldeStonecat

I will say that your answer is really a good one , you did not save your ink either .

I am one open-minded person , actually as a pro tech I do not have any alternative ways ..

I did not liked the XP , just from the start of them , the why is most psychological reasons , I will explain all this by one simple phrase, the NT OS was for hard trained persons , now that goes to the simple users , I fill that I am loosing some of my value .

I know that its sounds stupid , but my own way of thinking this is how I feel .

The factor that many people are on panic to find drivers for the stuff, that they have , or they ask for help for one OS that no one yet really knows , is some of the reasons that was make me, to start this topic .

Personally , I will not move to XP , for some simple reasons , I own hardware from 3DFX Voodoo3 3k , and sound card from AUREAL , that I am sour , that i will not have, any drivers support from them .
They have close down as all we know .
But I am not worry that mats about it , as the win2k is a fine OS that covers all my needs , and I feel like home with it ..

To the new owners of XP I wish them good luck , as they will be the first ones, that they will find out , the new OS , and all the traps and tricks of it .

do you forget how much trouble NT 4 had with drivers and software?

how many service paks are we up to, 6 or 7?

how many things went unsupported in NT 4

Win2k fixed a LOT of this, it has so much better support

and I own an Aureal 2 sound card which was detected automatically by Win2k and installed and worked PERFECTLY. I have also tried my Voodoo 5 and Voodoo 3 3500TV AGP which both work FINE in 2k.

XP has built on this and made it better. You can turn off all the goofy stuff in XP also.

terrancelam
10-31-01, 10:03 PM
I just use what I need and is working. 98SE is working for me and does the job well, so I'm sticking with it untill some offical drivers and some good reports of XP are released. but I might not move at all, untill forced to. :)

YeOldeStonecat
11-01-01, 06:41 AM

do you forget how much trouble NT 4 had with drivers and software?

how many service paks are we up to, 6 or 7?

how many things went unsupported in NT 4

Win2k fixed a LOT of this, it has so much better support

Trouble....not as long as you used drivers and software designed for NT....not trying to run 9X apps/drivers.

Service packs....technically 8....went to 6.0 which was buggy, quickly 6.0a came out (so there's 7)...then the security rollout fix (the unofficial SP7) which you can only get from windowsupdate.microsoft.com after you download and reboot from the first critical update.

A lot of things went unsupported because NT 4 was designed purely as a business OS, not games, plug and play, and multimedia.

As far as newer OS's having so much better support...we're always going to see this happen. New OS comes out, naturally it as better driver and software support for the hardware and apps that are current. But give it a few years on the production line...and pretty soon there is new hardware, chipsets, etc, that it will no longer have native driver support for. Another couple of years, and we'll have hardware that Win2K will not know about, etc etc. But Microsoft is stepping up their OS overhaul rate...so we'll not likely see an OS stay around as long as NT 4 did.

syncmaster
11-01-01, 08:05 AM

And I own an Aureal 2 sound card which was detected automatically by Win2k and installed and worked PERFECTLY. I have also tried my Voodoo 5 and Voodoo 3 3500TV AGP which both work FINE in 2k.

XP has built on this and made it better. You can turn off all the goofy stuff in XP also.

As you have an Aureal card ,then you will know that the drivers of win2k they are in a very basic level of support.

I am using the latest drivers for win2k ,ver. w2kAureal2559.
And i have full control and the EQ on ,and all the settings of the speakers ,plus fading from front to back speakers .

I do not believe that the build-in support of XP, for one so multytalanted sound card ,will be that full .

DEVX2000
11-01-01, 08:57 AM
hey nobody is forcing anybody to install XP. For those who installed it and are having difficulties with drivers, you should have researched compatability first. I personaly had no problems at all installing. In fact I can now run progs now that I couldn't on 2000. Perhaps some of the problems are from people running the warez versions????????????????????????????????

syncmaster
11-01-01, 09:06 AM
hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :rotfl:

True .. true !!

YeOldeStonecat
11-01-01, 09:18 AM

As you have an Aureal card ,then you will know that the drivers of win2k they are in a very basic level of support.

I

True, I've never used any native Microsoft drivers...I believe in going to your hardware's website and downloading the makers latest drivers. Built in generic MS drivers usually don't give you the most performance or features.

syncmaster
11-01-01, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat

True, I've never used any native Microsoft drivers...I believe in going to your hardware's website and downloading the makers latest drivers. Built in generic MS drivers usually don't give you the most performance or features.

BUMP !!!

AUREAL IS DEAD !!!!