PDA

View Full Version : About my new mouse: Does it matter...

poptom
10-30-01, 05:08 PM
...whether I connect it to USB or PS2? Any advantage either way?
( It's just a basic Logitech optical).

syncmaster
10-30-01, 06:56 PM
PS2 connection will be better , to keep free the USB bandwith for other devices .

Joe
10-30-01, 07:05 PM
true.. but thier are a few features my mouse has that only support using the USB interface.

syncmaster
10-30-01, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by PING
true.. but thier are a few features my mouse has that only support using the USB interface.

No way !!!!
You are mistaken .

HongKongPolice
10-30-01, 07:27 PM
The default refresh rate for USB mice is 125Hz, but USB requires more CPU time, and will get sluggish when your system is busy.

PS/2's default is 40Hz which REALLY sux ass, but you can raise it with a small program, upto 200Hz IF your mouse can go that high, and if you're not using a PS/2 USB adapter. PS/2 uses almost no CPU time, and is never sluggish.

I currenly use a MS optical, and after using the program, I can only get it upto about 90Hz refresh rate, probably cuz of my USB adapter, before with a MS Ball mouse, i had it upto 160Hz.

BTW, only Win98's default PS/2 rate is 40Hz, WinME, NT4, 2K, and XP all use 80Hz or more, which makes the mouse seem smoother, and so makes ppl think the OS is better than Win98. (Only Micro$hit can think of somethin like this)

poptom
10-30-01, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by TigerUpperCut
PS/2's default is 40Hz which REALLY sux ass, but you can raise it with a small program, upto 200Hz IF your mouse can go that high, and if you're not using a PS/2 USB adapter. PS/2 uses almost no CPU time, and is never sluggish.

What's the program, Tiger?

Joe
10-30-01, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by syncmaster

No way !!!!
You are mistaken .

Im pretty sure my 2 extra buttons dont work in the PS/2 interface.

poptom
10-31-01, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the input, guys. I'll leave it on PS2.

The red glow on this thing annoys the hell out of me. I think I'll dismantle it and paint the inside of the lower housing opaque.

Ghosthunter
10-31-01, 08:40 AM
Intersting info about the ps/2 vs usb and win98 being only 40 hz, I never knew that, and find it funny how MS does do that.

Just curious where is this program that you can bump up your ps/2 to 200 hz? Not sure how much of a differnce it would make just curious to try.

YARDofSTUF
10-31-01, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by poptom
Thanks for the input, guys. I'll leave it on PS2.

The red glow on this thing annoys the hell out of me. I think I'll dismantle it and paint the inside of the lower housing opaque.

i like teh red light, u get use to it lol

syncmaster
10-31-01, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by davy19
Intersting info about the ps/2 vs usb and win98 being only 40 hz, I never knew that, and find it funny how MS does do that.

Just curious where is this program that you can bump up your ps/2 to 200 hz? Not sure how much of a differnce it would make just curious to try.

Just to strait things up ...

The mouse refresh rate , was , will , and always will be controled by the software driver of the mouse , and not by the hardware .

The mouses is electronic devices that have some specs ..

I do not know what is the default refresh rates of one common mouse , to find out we have to read the INF file from the driver of standart Mouse .

All the mouses that is not standart , they have software bungle that sets this litle details automaticly ..

The numbers of refresh above the 100 , its almost in our fantacy .

Mouses and monitors is under the same rules and limitations .

No one can force the refresh rate above the hardware specs .

maroon
10-31-01, 10:39 AM
The program's called PS2 Rate and you can find it here: www.tweakfiles.com. You can adjust it up to 200 hz, but I think you're ultimately limited by your monitor's refresh rate.

CAR-15
10-31-01, 12:53 PM
tweakfiles doesnt work anymore :(

maroon
10-31-01, 01:24 PM
here we go

http://www.bluesnews.com/files/misc/ps2mouserate.shtml

BaLa
10-31-01, 02:33 PM
M$ Optical, I had it on PS/2 for a while, but it's running smoother on USB.

NuclearHeadache
10-31-01, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by PING

Im pretty sure my 2 extra buttons dont work in the PS/2 interface.

Correct.... My MS Optical browse buttons don't work in PS2 but they do in USB.
I even just tested it to make sure :D

syncmaster
10-31-01, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by BaLa
M$ Optical, I had it on PS/2 for a while, but it's running smoother on USB.

I have the MS IntelliEye , i do not see any diference by using the PS2 or USB .

syncmaster
10-31-01, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by NuclearHeadache

Correct.... My MS Optical browse buttons don't work in PS2 but they do in USB.
I even just tested it to make sure :D

If you like your tests to be right 100% , reinstall the intelimouse software wen you changing the conections of your mouse .

NuclearHeadache
11-01-01, 12:21 AM

If you like your tests to be right 100% , reinstall the intelimouse software wen you changing the conections of your mouse .

Just did it, still right.

syncmaster
11-01-01, 08:46 AM
Ok . you win :)

NuclearHeadache
11-01-01, 04:18 PM
Ok . you win :)

lol :D
Not trying to start a fight sync but I know I'm not going crazy :D
Not yet at least :D

syncmaster