PDA

View Full Version : Ok I am going with 19 inch monitor but which is better Sony CPD-G400 or CPD-G420S?

Ghosthunter
10-30-01, 09:35 AM
I cant figure out the differences between the two?

It looks like the 420S is a newer model, so is it better? It is about $30-$50 more depending upon where you buy it.

Is the 420s better quality? flatter? Better refresh rate at higher resoultions?

Better geometry?

Does anyone have either of these 2 models can give me some ideas? I only care about the sony and 19 inch even if it is more money than the rest.

Thanks

Brent
10-30-01, 10:09 AM
I went to Sony's site and compared them

When I clicked on More Info for the Sony CPD 400 I got this message:

"We're sorry, but the product you have selected is either currently unavailable or no longer offered by VAIO Select.

If you would like further assistance, please call: 1-877-269-VAIO "

Anyways from the specs what I found was the 420S is about 1" smaller on all sides total measurements wise, therefore it's got a smaller footprint then the other one which is good, the actual screen is the SAME as the 400, in fact the size, dot pitch and refresh rate are the same. The 420S has dual VGA inputs where the 400 does not. Dual VGA inputs allow you to hook like 2 computers to one monitor then you can switch between the computers with a touch of a button on the monitor.

That's all the differences I could find, all in all looks like the 420S is better, but not by a lot, it has a smaller footprint, and dual vga inputs.

syncmaster
10-30-01, 02:40 PM
I own the G-420 20 days now ..

Well just close your eyes and get it .

This product uses the latest technology of SONYs in Trinitron screens ,uses the latest SONYs design of guns in the tube , very high refresh rates , TCO99 .

There is no negatives about this screen .

The only that i noticed , is that in some patterns for monitor test , you can see some moire , actualy alot , but only if you try to see a net of lines at 1x1 pixel resolution .

In other words you will never see , anywere, anything like that ,other than the test patterns of some monitors testing software .

The Screen have fantastic colors , text is super clear , the DVD movies looks better than any SONYs TV set .

Setting up the screen is like a toy for 10 years old kids.

The USB hub is fantastic also , i have stuff on it alot of devices .

3 Years waranty ..

Well ,just of looking for monitor in this price tag , i can easely think tha you looking for one awesome in quality monitor .

The SONY G-420 is one of them .

Ghosthunter
10-31-01, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the advice I decided on the Sony CPD-G420S like you recommend I am hoping it is a much better monitor then what I have now Sony Multiscan 200ES 17 inch, not that it was a bad monitor...just hoping for better.

One question you mention a USB hub, I dont see any mention about that on sony site or any other site am I talking about the right monitor?

This is the monitor I ordered:

http://www.sonystyle.com/vaio/displays/cpd_g420s.shtml

Thanks

syncmaster
11-01-01, 07:52 AM
I live in Europe , the European version is the G-420 , the (S ) i do not know what is it .

But from the specs , i can see that actualy is only one model .

http://www.sony-cp.com/eng/displays/fd-trinitron/g-series/g420/content.html

Ghosthunter
11-01-01, 12:10 PM
Well Interesting, I just got it today, but no USB hub, oh well not a big deal to me, I am more concerned about quality. I guess the european model is different from the US one.

2 things that concerned me, one when it just got shipped the front of the box was broken, but when I took out the monitor it looked intact and no scratches or anything, but still concerns me I wonder what happened to make the front of the box break..

Everything so far looks good right now I am at 1600x1200 at 32 bti color, the only thing that is odd is when I look at Black text against a white background, the text I dont know how to explain it, but it looks very light, it is not fuzzy, but some of the text characters look almost like it is missing a shade or hasnt been colored in all the way..it is not very noticable, but to my eyes it is..not sure what that is or if it normal at this resolution.

Ghosthunter
11-01-01, 12:25 PM
Well it seems to only be noticable at 1280x1024 or higher...not a lot but I can see...if at 102x768 or lower it looks fine..I jsut went to play one of my games, and text inside looked fine, so only when in windows..any ideas if anything I can do?

Thanks

syncmaster
11-01-01, 02:45 PM
So you finaly got it :) thats great .

Before you start using it , its nice to read the book of it .

Yap take the time to read all this boring litle info about the settings and you will find some hiden tips about it .

Now , this monitor is a very damn light one , too muts light , hahahahahaha well most of others monitors is dark , this one is very diferent ..

So you need one litle software from Nokia , that it will help you with some patters to adjust the screen .

Now do not forget to make all your settinds by using , the bouton PICTURE EFFECT at the standart possition .
I using most of the time the PROFESIONAL setting ,with contrast at 65 , and Brightness at 50 .
I change the PICTURE EFFECT settings only for Games and DVD .

I use the 1024x768 resolution with refresh 100 , this is good settings for me , very relaxing either .

Do not worry about the paper box , as you have all ready see the soft materials in the box is very good ones and , they protect your monitor well .

So enjoy this really great master piece , and do not worry .

By the way , my monitor was made in UK , were is yours, made in ?

Ghosthunter
11-01-01, 06:54 PM
Thanks for all your help greatly appreciated it.

I looked I msutve missed it I found the serial number but not sure where the monitor was made, I will take a look again.

Where do I get this Nokia software?

BTW, geomotry is perfect to me, I read a lot of compalints about the CPD-G400 people were complianing left and right, it is better than my old multiscan 200ES was.

I need to mess more aorund with the settings,

BTW, how do i change my refresh rate to 100hz? in my properties it only allows me to go to 85 hz, can I do 100hz at 1600x1200?

Mark
11-01-01, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by davy19

BTW, how do i change my refresh rate to 100hz? in my properties it only allows me to go to 85 hz, can I do 100hz at 1600x1200?

i think that you're video card has a lot to do with how high a refresh rate you can get, not sure so ask the experts.

colour
11-01-01, 08:24 PM
wow got your order in 2 days...

takes forever to ship here, thats why i hate ordering online.

syncmaster
11-01-01, 09:43 PM

I looked I msutve missed it I found the serial number but not sure where the monitor was made, I will take a look again.

Where do I get this Nokia software?

BTW, geomotry is perfect to me, I read a lot of compalints about the CPD-G400 people were complianing left and right, it is better than my old multiscan 200ES was.

I need to mess more aorund with the settings,

This monitor is totaly problems free , its the Top Gun of SONY in 19" .
This monitor is just Perfect ,i also do not have any geometry problems or other ..

Now about the software , hmm i do not have any link , but if you have ICQ i will pass it over to you ..

Yap the CPD-G400 had some problems .
This one its fine .

syncmaster
11-01-01, 10:02 PM
Here is your link :)

http://www.construnet.hu/nokia/Monitors/TEST/monitor_test.html

Ghosthunter
11-01-01, 10:56 PM
Man I am so happy with this monitor...you are totally right...

havent downloaded the progroam yet but I will, but I got my settings perfect the way I want....I went with 1280x1024, instead of 1600x1200 for now..and everything loks perfect now...

I went to play a few games, and what a difference a really good monitor can make...now all I need is to replace my original geforce256 with the new gf3 ti 500 and I will be set.

Thanks again...

syncmaster
11-02-01, 10:46 AM
Man I am so happy with this monitor...you are totally right...

havent downloaded the progroam yet but I will, but I got my settings perfect the way I want....I went with 1280x1024, instead of 1600x1200 for now..and everything loks perfect now...

I went to play a few games, and what a difference a really good monitor can make...now all I need is to replace my original geforce256 with the new gf3 ti 500 and I will be set.

Thanks again...

Hahahahaha..... Another one happy Sony owner ..

I am really happy that you sort out everything .
If you wan my advice , keep the geforce256 ,until the May of 2002 at list .
The geforce256 is a fine card .

Ghosthunter
11-02-01, 12:03 PM
BTW, it said it was manufactured in Mexico.

Reason i want to upgrade, I think my card is great for most games, but there are some coming out I think the gf3 ti 500 can really help like Return to Catle Wolfenstein...MS FS 2002..and a few others..

syncmaster
11-02-01, 06:40 PM
Mexico ..

Hmm interesting , the SONY models of G series in only build in very spesial factorys .
So in Europe they make them in UK ,and the cheapo series in Spain .

So in US they make the G series in Mexico , so we need to know were they make the other ones.

Any one ,with E series, from US ,he will know that info ..

As about your video card , you know best your needs .